Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Musicians of STW: show us yer bands!
  • nbt

Last saturday was the inaugural gig for my new band Damp Chamois. It’s a kind of mid-life crisis band – a few of us got together to do a few numbers at the works Xmas Do two years ago and it was such good fun that some of us continued. Things evolved and lineups changed but there are still three of us in the band (bassist, guitar/backing vocals and me on drums) who play together. Mostly it’s about belting out classic rock covers (“jangly guitar music” is how I described it) in the rehearsal rooms, but when offered the opportunity to play in front of an audience (our company receptionist left to run a pub and asked if we’d like to play) we jumped at the chance. It went so well, we’ve been asked to come back, and we’ve been asked to play at a corporate charity even in a few weeks time. It’s more about the fun than the money, I can’t see us earning anything from it

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmTNQw6YCvs[/video]

so, what footage have you got of your bands? Do you play original numbers or covers? What styles? What plans for gigs in the near future?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Chasing Glass (Mk I) 2012:

Chasing Glass Mk II 2014 to date

Dan & Jonny

me

Simon

_tom_
    Free Member

Not really a band as I still can’t find a good singer (or any other committed musicians for that matter) but here’s my music that I really want to finish and play live. https://soundcloud.com/shotgunroyale

I used to be in a cover band but I found it too depressing. Would much rather play my own stuff, or at least good covers that aren’t Mustang Sally or something equally shite 😆

john_drummer
    Free Member

originals, BTW. Both bands.

I do have another band but at the moment we don’t have a name. We were called Bad Pool Caller, there may be some tunes out there on Soundcloud or Reverbnation if you can find them. We have 12 or so songs in need of lyrics, but hopefully the new singer we’ve managed to recruit will be able to do something with them

Chasing Glass mkII (original singer, me, new bass player & guitarist) are just in the process of building up a set.

So no plans for gigging any time in the very near future but that will change in time

previous band The Wick Effect, 2009-2011:

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Don’t reeeaaally feel I qualify as I don’t play anymore and half of the band is now dead, but for what it’s worth:

Set 1

Set 2

RoterStern
    Free Member

The band I am in at the moment.

john_drummer
    Free Member

nice atmospheric photo RS – pro band?

Jakester
    Free Member

This was my old band:

Jakamo (the name came about before the large chap’s retailer before the gags,,,)

Sadly had to leave as relocated to the SW.

New band has no web presence at all, surprisingly, but we’re doing our debut gig next Saturday in The Ram pub in Bath.

BoardinBob

circa 1995. We’ve been on hiatus since!

BoardinBob

Gutted looking at that photo as I don’t have the guitar or amp anymore. The guitar was a Fenix strat copy which is highly sought after now and is worth way more than I paid or sold it for for. The amp was an original 1970s Roland JC-77. Sold the guitar when I was a skint student and the amp because it was way too big. Should have held on to both. 😥

NorthShaun
    Free Member

“cos heavy metals back mofo’s! \m/ 🙂

RoterStern
    Free Member

nice atmospheric photo RS – pro band?

Kind of. We have all been professional musicians at some point(in fact three of the band still are) but this band is more of a project to conceptualize the songs of the singer songwriter. That photo was taken at an open air festival last year.

john_drummer
    Free Member

nice 🙂

I know I’m never going to earn a living from it, but that doesn’t stop me. It’s fun.

DezB
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member
    Don’t reeeaaally feel I qualify as I don’t play anymore and half of the band is now dead, but for what it’s worth:

Set 1

Set 2

Would I be right in thinking that Woppit is the only one here with a Record Store Day release 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

Love it, nbt! people enjoying themselves

Bunnyhop

I’m nbt’s official groupie 🙂

guitarhero
    Free Member

pays the bills

photo credit (c) Michael Moverley Photography

boxelder

guitarhero – what are you thinking?
    Those shoes………

Edukator
    Free Member

The angel wants to wear them? I’m not sure which is more impressive: the outfit or the chord you’re playing.

TheFlyingOx

Am I doing it right?

That’s me on 1st Euph if you’re wondering.

durhambiker
    Free Member

I got roped into playing in a for fun band with my wife a couple of years. Originally it was her on bass and vocals, her brother on guitar and vocals, and a drummer they’d found online. Only did it for fun, never bothered doing gigs but enjoyed getting together once a week. My brother in law then had a new baby and lost the desire to play, so I was dragged in as a very bad guitarist so they could at least carry on, with my BiL hanging around for a few weeks to teach me the songs.

He ended up loving it again with a second guitarist, so we continued as a 4 piece. His son’s drum teacher who plays in a busy local band decided we were good enough, so booked us in to support them a couple of times, though I was only able to make it to one of the gigs due to work. So my very first taste of performing live was in a dodgy working men’s club in Ferryhill, County Durham. Got out of there alive so can’t have been too bad!

Sadly our drummer hid a bad time in life and decided to take his own life which left us all not wanting to play for quite some time, until my 16 year old nephew offered to play drums for us. Not many kids that’d actually offer to play drums for their dad, aunt and uncle. So now we’re back to getting together once a week in a rehearsal room and having a good laugh and a jam. Hopefully get back to playing a few gigs here and there.

grum
    Free Member

This is the band I play in (bass guitar).

http://www.facebook.com/carpeband

It’s a weird mix of funk, hip-hop and blues/rock with some other influences thrown in but it works! Such a fun band to play in – usually get a good party atmosphere going with lots of people dancing etc and we have a pretty good local following.

This is our album on Spotify – recording some more stuff soon hopefully.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’ve been playing in bands for years.

Here’s a pic from the most recent one:

Here’s a song:
    https://soundcloud.com/longhornrock/alarm

Unfortunately the singer went back to France and the drummer is travelling around South America, so the band is dead. For now.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Nice work yourguitarhero, that’s got a great sound, and the singer is particularly good. His departure must have been gutting.

The band from the pic up there, I do cause it’s a laugh, and it pays well, but my own stuff is what I really enjoy doing.

Agent Purple

Snake (Yo Asp)

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Sorry, but I don’t have a clue how to share links. I used to play in a psychobilly / rockabilly band in the late 80s and early 90s, recorded one album then imploded. If you can be bothered, look for a band called ‘The Juvies’ on either spotify or YouTube. That’s me drumming.

slowoldman

ajantom

I’ve been in a various bands over the years (and a few orchestras as a Bassoonist!)

The main one over the last 8 years has been Melosa – Melosa biog and tunes – we’re based in Exeter, and have a decent local following, but our main mission is playing festivals and having a good time 😉 played Beautiful Days, Boomtown, Volksfest, Aeon Fest, Sunrise, Over the Moon, Beachbreak, and many more.

We’ve supported people like Toots and the Maytals, Sly and Robbie, Ska Cubano, etc. on UK tours, and gig pretty regularly. ‘S a bit of fun innit 😀

[video]http://youtu.be/bcHl2g0P-r0[/video]

SiofCannock
    Free Member

http://www.einstellung.co.uk

Been with these noisy bar stewards for the last 12 years. Instrumental Krautgaze anyone?

plop_pants
    Free Member

A little raw around the edges but….[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q3J6K1i9tA&t=108[/video]

All original bar two covers.

chiefgrooveguru

I seem to be on a band hiatus at the moment as that hobby (well the bass playing side of it, not the songwriting) sort of turned into a business:

http://barefacedbass.com/

This is our newest model – it’s quite cute for a black box:

Unfortunately it’s very hard to focus on the music when you’ve started obsessing over designing better gear! However, needing a new hobby brought me back to mountain biking, which has been expensive fun…

So why aren’t you all using our cabs?! 😉 You can’t use the “we’re a guitar and drums duo” excuse now because we’ve just launched our first PA speakers and guitar cabs will shortly follow!

Jakester
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member

So why aren’t you all using our cabs?! You can’t use the “we’re a guitar and drums duo” excuse now because we’ve just launched our first PA speakers and guitar cabs will shortly follow!

The bassist in my old band had a Compact and a Mk1 Midget. I’ve never been so impressed with a rig.

I’ve been following the PA thread on Basschat (I also play bass, badly) and would love a couple of the PA cabs for my current band. My dream is a Super12 and GK MB800 head.

Love the BF stuff.

nbt

I hit things. Mostly drums and cymbals. Plugging things in is a little foreign to me 😉

Having said that we do need to sort out monitors for the band, the pa was OK for vocals for the crowd but our bassist was watching the guitarist’s hands to figure out where we were in the sings as he couldn’t hear the pa or monitor over the backline!

Where’s Chipps, why hasn’t he posted yet?

matt_outandabout

I am as musical as a brick. Unlike eldest_oab. Here he is leading out the BB band this morning. They are sounding great, and look like being invited on a Naval(?) band tour in Scandinavia next year. Looking at which leg everyone else is leading with, he needs practice in walking….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rKhdLg]image[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

chipps

Here you go. We’re called Campersand, and have been together about six years, play mostly original stuff. We rehearse weekly, but only play about once or twice a year as it’s really hard to find venues that like original bands and don’t just want two hours of pop covers.

Tom-B
    Free Member

My two bands:

The Rebellion is a funk rock originals band and I’m on bass.

https://www.facebook.com/therebellionuk

Blue Cartel is my Blues/Funk/Soul covers band and I’m on geetar.

https://www.facebook.com/bluecartelband

Tom-B
    Free Member

Woah just seen that we have a legend on this thread in the form of the owner of Barefaced amps!!!!

Man, seriously love your stuff, very nearly bought a Big Twin last year!!

chiefgrooveguru

Woah just seen that we have a legend on this thread in the form of the owner of Barefaced amps!!!!

Man, seriously love your stuff, very nearly bought a Big Twin last year!!

Honoured! Not sure I can qualify for legend status for a few decades yet though.

If anyone wants to make their bassist happy, point them towards this:

http://barefacedbass.com/competition.htm

(He says, hoping for some virality – amazing products can only sell themselves when potential customers know they exist…)

guitarhero
    Free Member

What’s the eta on the guitar cab? Will you be doing a 2×12?

Lifer
    Free Member

My covers band:

Slack Mac

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Musicians of STW: show us yer bands!’ is closed to new replies.