Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Music that just hasn't dated…
  • GaryLake
    Free Member

Just because you still like it/listen to it, doesn’t mean it hasn’t dated!

Markie
    Free Member

Massive Attack, Blue Lines.

chiefgrooveguru

Exodus – Bob marley. one of the all time greats and not dated at all. Not a duff tune on the album

This is the first thread ever where surely everyone has to agree with TJ?(Or maybe not as no-one has ever reggae like The Wailers did and thus it’s forever stuck in its heyday?)

I think any style which has been revisited by bands decades on inherently sounds timeless. There are thus numerous albums from the last decade which sound so much like stuff from the ’60s and ’70s (bar the reduced boom and mud, extra top and bottom and excess compression of modern production) that the original inspiration becomes timeless. Curiously the more ’80s influenced material of the last few years fails to make real ’80s stuff sound timeless because the production back then was often so OTT (especially those snare drums!)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheFopster
    Free Member

+1 for Underworld – Dubnobasswithmyheadman
    FSOL – Accelerator
    Velvet Underground – Everything they ever did
    Public Enemy – Fear of a black planet

billybob
    Free Member

Public Enemy – Fear of a black planet

As much as I love that album, any 80’s hip hop has dated horribly.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I have to agree with others who have said that all music will date

loads of good stuff mentioned above – but it all sounds absolutely “of its time”. I can think of music which was “ahead of it’s time” (Sister Lovers by Big Star springs to mind). Or music which is relatively “timeless” (folk/ country/ old style blues type stuff which could have been made in 1990 or 1940) – but I honestly can’t think of anything that hasn’t – or will never date.

Stuff like Massive Attack might be holding on for a bit longer than most – but it will sound dated in 10/ 15 years (if not sooner)

Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t enjoy old stuff – I know I do

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

The Clash London Calling & Combat Rock (although should I stay annoys me)
    the The Mind Bomb
    a lot of Tom Waits stuff
    A lot of the Specials stuff
    half of Velvet Underground stuff
    Pulp Different Class

martinxyz
    Free Member

I dont listen to Donna summer and i dont own a copy of the song but i chose “I feel love” because theres nothing else i can think of that sounds so fresh for the age that it is.Theres been lots of stuff that i could listen to again and again but its not going to fit in easily with todays music as much as i feel donnas song would.

Does anyone else have a song as fresh sounding and as old as that?

CountZero

Not to say it isn’t good. But a lot if this stuff wouldn’t pass the Dance floor test at a night club.

That’s because most stuff played at a night club is fundamentally unlistenable outside of that environment. It’s music designed specifically for it’s beat. That’s not to say that there isn’t good music that you can dance to, but most wouldn’t get played at a modern night club. A lot of Motown is dance music, as is folk music, Capercaillie are a folk band who play dance music. Jigs and reels wouldn’t go down well in an urban dance venue though.
    There’s plenty of stuff that I still listen to after thirty/forty years that sounds as good now as it did then, but there’s plenty that sounds very dated now. Music that’s reall about the song and melody survives best; folk, blues, jazz influenced lasts best. Although I recently heard some Gentle Giant that I hadn’t heard since the mid 70’s, and I was surprised how good it sounded, probably because it was very jazzy. Talking Heads still sound fresh to me after thirty something years. And you can dance to a lot of it too; great songs with a solid rhythm section underneath. Works for me.

martinxyz
    Free Member

sunday morning radio – scottish dance music. thread closed!

Hohum
    Free Member

martinxyz – Member
    sunday morning radio – scottish dance music. thread closed!

Sorry, but you are wrong.

ELO – thread closed 😆

martinxyz
    Free Member

nah nah nah. you cant tell if its live or from the 70s.

not that i listen to it.its awful.

Hohum
    Free Member

martinxyz – Member
    nah nah nah. you cant tell if its live or from the 70s.

not that i listen to it.its awful.

You’re not a friend of DezB are you? 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Music that just hasn't dated…’ is closed to new replies.