Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Music streaming apps. Spotify, Deezer etc
  • bash
    Free Member

As above really. I’m looking to download music to play while I’m in the car so most of the time I’d be playing the music offline.

Just wondering what people use?

Cougar

For Spotify you’ll need a Premium subscription to do that. Well worth it IMHO though.

bash
    Free Member

Yep I’d get a subscription whatever I go with so I don’t have to endure the ads. Just not sure if one is better than the other or whether they’re both much the same.

nickdavies

I’ve used them all and think Spotify wins. Currently on Apple Music as it’s the same money as Spotify to give it a try – I’m waiting for one of their deals to come up and I’ll probably go back to Spotify. The biggest drawback of Spotify I find is that you can’t stream more than one concurrent feed on one login – may not be an issue for you.

Song selection is good on all of them – id play with the apps and pick the one that works best for you and the locations you want to play it. If you’re into the Sonos stuff it plays on that well too. I have had issues with all of them randomly deleting offline content which is really annoying.

Friends and family can get you a decent discount too, Spotify is £2.50 a month if you can get 6 together.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I thought spotify did a family package now for multiple devices?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

On Deezer and really like it. Initial reason for choosing it was a free subscription came bundled with my Sonos a couple of years ago so I switched from Spotify, don’t see any reason to go back to Spotify now.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m not on a family package with Spotify and i’ve got it on my personal phone, work phone and via the Sonos app . I’v not specifically tested it so not sure if I can access them all independently and simultaneously. Will give it a go.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

No – you can’t play them simultaneously. I though you might have been able to play via Sonos on one device and spotify direct on another but damn those clever bods at Spotify. They’ve got all the bases covered. Still can’t complain. I used to spend a fortune on records and CD’s and these music services are great value to access pretty much the entire library of music from the human species.

Drac

I jumped from Spotify to Apple Music family package.

riddoch

I prefer the interface on Spotify but then that’s the one I have used the most. Music choice wise I don’t think ther is much to choose between them. I also use google play music as it works with the “ok google” voice control when using it in the car.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Apple music had a horrible, horrible iOS interface when I tried it. I understand its been updated in iOS 10 though

ruddy
    Free Member

I’ve been on Napster for the last few years.

Really good interface, can run on three decided plus a computer. Sonos link is seamless too.

Drac

Blimey is Napster still around?

siwhite
    Free Member

Some Vodafone contracts come with a Spotify Premium subscription…

Drac

Yeah but that means having a Vodafone contract so you’ll not got a signal to play it.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of spare Spotify Premium logins. Email me if you’re interested in being part of my family 😉

zilog6128

Blimey is Napster still around?

yep, price has gone up a bit since the old days though 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

I have spotify premium. It will stream to my amp and I can control it with the phone app. Works really well.

flange
    Free Member

Got Spotify and its flippin ace. Not used Deezer but looks pretty similar. In three years of using it, I think I’ve only found two albums that Spotify didn’t have (The Grey Album and and an early Pharoahe Monch one). If you do get it, I’d recommend saving ‘Discover weekly’ and ‘Release Radar’ into your playlists – each has circa 30 new tracks each week based on stuff you like – really good for finding new music.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The new iOS 10 Apple Music App is better, but still flawed. Apple seem to be geniuses at addressing one lot of user experience problems and introducing a whole load more, but overall it’s an improvement from what came before. I switched to Apple Music from Spotify simply because I have a load of Apple stuff and I liked the fact your local library and “cloud” library are in the same app.

The number one feature for me is the Siri integration. Much better than typing and searching for music.

ruddy
    Free Member

Just to add on napster you can chromecast, so use a chromecast audio to my stereo amp.

Also checked and its got The Grey Album (by The Back Pack and Tennesse Flying Goose)!

Would highly recommend.

There is also a high fid offer which I think is called Tidal but haven’t used.

bigdaddy

Another spotify fan here, use it loads – an interesting side use of the ‘only one log in at a time thing’ – I was on the train and tried to listen, it told me that my son was using it on the PS4 so I couldn’t, so he was rumbled for using the PS4 before school when he shouldn’t have been and I was miles away! Nice…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

^ 😆

Great story 🙂

the-muffin-man

I thought spotify did a family package now for multiple devices?

They do – for £15 a month you effectively get 6x Premium Accounts.

I’ve tried Apple Music and found it messy and Spotify wins for me.

No Taylor Swift on Spotify though! 😉

bash
    Free Member

Cheers everyone. Downloaded the Spotify app to give it a go. Just tried it in the car through Bluetooth audio and it works great, can switch tracks from the steering wheel too.

iainc

daft question – I have Spotify Premium. If I play it in the car on bluetooth, how do I know I am offline and not using up data allowance ?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

When I used it there was a setting for “offline mode”. I assume such a thing still exists.

iainc

aha, will have a look, cheers

nickc

I download songs to a playlist to play offline in the car, other than that I assume I’m using data. I’ve 2Gb monthly allowance and rarely get near that TBH.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Spotify, Apple and Deezer are available in 320kbps only. Poor quality reproduction.

I’m on Tidal. 1411kbps lossless. Superb quality at £18 per month. Cheaper than any of the inferior options…

MSP

Want to buy some low oxygen cables with gold contacts, only 1 gazzilion pounds to you (get them cheap before the exchange rates effects the price).

shuhockey
    Free Member

If two people using, you can listen to Spotify on both devices if one person has downloaded music and switches the phone to Airplane mode, so it can’t tell Spotify you are listening. Not ideal but……..

unklehomered
    Free Member

Deezer here, I really like it, discovered some good tunes from the recommendations feed.

And they’re the little guys in the field, and french. which appeals to me.

jimster01

Another Spotify user here, tried Deezer – didn’t get on with it.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hilarious comment from MSP there. I take it you mean that paying more for something that’s worse is a good idea.

Oh well. Pearls before swine….

Drac

Cheaper than any of the inferior options…

When was £18 cheaper than £9.99?

ransos
    Free Member

Spotify, Apple and Deezer are available in 320kbps only. Poor quality reproduction.

I’m on Tidal. 1411kbps lossless. Superb quality at £18 per month. Cheaper than any of the inferior options…

It’s unlikely you can tell the difference.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Cheaper than any of the inferior options…
    When was £18 cheaper than £9.99?

I was thinking of Deezer lossless (buy and download only) and Qobuz…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

ransos – Member

It’s unlikely you can tell the difference.

At the risk of reviving the whole hifi argument thing all over again, that’s what’s known as “bollocks”.

Nico
    Free Member

I was thinking of Deezer lossless (buy and download only) and Qobuz…

So not “any” of the other options.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Music streaming apps. Spotify, Deezer etc’ is closed to new replies.