Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Music streamers
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Clueless about these, I want something easy to set up and use (selling my Logitech as it wasn’t), good enough sound quality for my FLACs.

The Google product has been suggested, and QED uplay is £30 from £150, and I can’t find anything wrong with that, but I don’t think either has a digital output would be good for my DAC.

Any thoughts?

gwaelod
    Free Member

Pretty certain Chromecast Audio has a TOSlink digi optical output. It’s in the same hole as 3.5mm analogue audio hole, so you use one or the other AIUI

deadkenny
    Free Member

Which Logitech? The old Squeezebox were great, especially the old classic which had a decent DAC. I know they messed about in recent models having effectively discontinued the old Squeezebox stuff.

Still use my Squeezebox classic to stream FLAC and play to my amp. That said, my current amp has streaming built in and can do the same but the UI for it is terrible.

Not tried it but Plex has audio streaming now and my TV has Plex app. If it does audio in the app then it would stream via HDMI to the amp. Plex has pretty good indexing and recognition of tracks, albums and artists with cover art etc.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Usual answer…

If your budget will go that far, of course. 8)

onlysteel
    Free Member

Agree w Woppit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ok captains Cryptic, wtf are you on about.

Naim or something?

sadexpunk

prob means sonos?

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

My squeezebox touch was massively improved by using an audiolab m.dac rather than the inbuilt dac.
    Bit flaky connection wise though

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Naim or something?

Yep that’s the one. The “Vereker Variation”…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not wanting to spend that £££

Always thought Naim was a bit overated anyway, even moreso than Linn.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

You can take comfort in not being alone in that opinion, I suppose… 😉

onlysteel
    Free Member

Had a listen to the N272 a few weeks ago. Impressive, but need to listen to streamer only against standalone NDX, and figure out whether the pre-amp half will be an obvious step back from 82/Hicap. Even more complicated if I put an XPS DR into the mix on either side of the equation.
    Sorry, real risk of turning this into a Naim fanboi hijack.

Sonos?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sonos is overpriced imo, do they even do a line level out device?

Got overblown bass like Bose too

simon_g

Sonos is overpriced imo, do they even do a line level out device?

Connect, or if you’re looking secondhand then it was the ZP90 and the ZP80 before that.

My zp80 was about £100 on eBay and despite being several years old is still supported and still gets updates. Works great.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Music streamers’ is closed to new replies.