Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Music storage, streaming and downloading – Travelling with just an iPad
  • fr0sty
    Free Member

How do folks.

My job takes me away from home for 5-6 months at a time and this year I’m hoping to travel extra light, leaving my Macbook Pro at home and travelling just with my iPhone and iPad (i can upload/download straight to/from Strava and RWGPS from a Wahoo ELMNT, which solves one problem)

I will have access to WIFI every night but not throughout the day, and I’m ideally looking for a solution that will allow me to play my music ‘offline’ throughout the day, then back at the hotel sort and manage my music ‘online’ dragging and dropping different albums onto the ipad/phone.

I’ve never really understood the potential of iCloud (although I have a 50GB account)…

I’m wondering if there is an app or program out there that would suit my needs?

Without the Macbook I’m going to miss not being able to download torrents when I’m away, so access to new music and the ability to download or listen offline it is important to me.

Please help, techy people!

ffej
    Free Member

Deezer or I would expect Spotify can download locally for when you’re offline. Just need occasional net access to confirm your account is still valid.

J

jam-bo

apple music.
    spotify premium.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DezB
    Free Member

Pains me to say, but Spotify would do this… or did you want to use your own music collection?

fr0sty
    Free Member

Not fussed about not having ‘my’ music with me, so to speak, as I imagine most of the stuff I listen to will be available online too…

DezB
    Free Member

Def could do that with Apple or Spotify then – choose whoever has the best sign up deal. I’m on the 99p trial with Spotify and it’s ok. Would do what you want, but doesn’t do what I want very well (play a massive variety of stuff and help me discover new and original things).

fr0sty
    Free Member

That’s it, I like the idea of having new things played to me, as well as having offline access. My own library isnt that much of a big deal in reality, I just need to be able to hear new stuff and listen offline.

lucky7500

Spotify premium. Your description is pretty much exactly what it has been created for.

doris5000

I’m on the 99p trial with Spotify and it’s ok. Would do what you want, but doesn’t do what I want very well (play a massive variety of stuff and help me discover new and original things).

Interesting – I find spotify absolutely amazing for this kind of thing. The discover weekly playlist is great.

deadkenny
    Free Member

If you have and MS account with OneDrive, dump MP3s in there and you can play them anywhere with Microsoft Groove, and that includes on iOS.

prawny

Are you completely tied to apple?

I’ve got a iphone and a samsung tablet. I only ever need the laptop for getting songs for the kids (normally pokemon battle music from youtube) onto their ipods. I even use the tablet to get the tunes from the youtube videos in the first place.

Plus Kodi works, and other movie streaming/downloading apps.

Best of both worlds in my opinion.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Music storage, streaming and downloading – Travelling with just an iPad’ is closed to new replies.