Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Music services?
  • MSP

Spotify and the like, is there one of them that stands out for recommending other music similar/related to what you are currently listening to?

Last time I used spotify and apple music I thought they were pretty bad for that, and for myself that would be the requirement to keep me subscribing.

CountZero

They all seem to suggest music based on what you already like. I want to be surprised by something that isn’t neccesarily like what I’m already listening to, which is why I only listen to 6Music, which continues to surprise me with music and artists I’ve never heard before.
    And it’s free.

funkmasterp

I found Deezer to be quite good, but it will depend on how eclectic your tastes are to begin with.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chvck
    Free Member

From the POV of discovering something out of the blue just surprising you I totally agree with CountZero. I’ve never discovered a whole new genre that I love through music services alone. Once you discover an “out there” song they sure make it really easy to listen to stuff like it with artist and song radios etc… I haven’t discovered new genres but I’ve certainly explored them via music services.

As for recommending stuff quite similar to what you already do, Spotify sure does that well. I’d imagine these days it’s largely down to pick the interface you like the most. Maybe google library sizes too?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Dunno, only use ITunes and Soundcloud..

RichPenny
    Free Member

They all seem to suggest music based on what you already like.

Yup, that’d be what the OP asked for. Spotify I find much better than Tidal, the discover weekly playlists then digging through related artists, or just going through new releases and picking stuff at random.

slowoldman

Radio 3.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Google play music, will make suggestions for similar artists. I use it quite a bit, but it tends to suggest the most popular ones so finding something obscure or rare is a little harder to do.

simon_g

Apple Music is pretty good with their weekly “for you” playlists – a favourites mix (stuff you have/know but may not have listened to for a while) and a new music one based on your tastes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Music services?’ is closed to new replies.