Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Music Recording types – What software question?
  • seadog101

The youngest Seadog has been using Garage Band on the iPad put together some rather neat tunes:

The Infinity Drift – Coastal

He now wants to start using the PC (Windows) and software to record more advanced stuff, using the digital piano and guitar (he plays both). We have a Focusrite USB interface to hook up to the computer.

What software would be a logical step? I see there’s a free version of Avid Pro-Tools, would that be a good introduction?

Some products seem to be way more complicated than he’ll need, so I don’t want to be buying something that’ll be underused. I’m erring towards Pro-Tools as the local youth centre studio uses that, and runs courses on mixing and production every now and then.

tillydog
    Free Member

Reaper is very, very good. Free to try & cheap to buy if you find you like it.

colournoise

The relaunched Tracktion would be a good starring point.

_tom_
    Free Member

Reaper every time for me. I can’t stand pro tools. Clunky and awkward to use, especially when you’re used to Reaper.

seadog101

Thanks, they both pretty close to what I’m after. Kind of a step up from Audacity by the looks of them.

Would the way you use them translate to Pro-Tools easily? My lad goes to the studios a couple of times a week and knowing how to use Pro-tools would help.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Cubase Elements for me. About £80

colournoise

Concepts and process of audio recording are pretty transferable, but Tracktion and Reaper both (AFAIK – haven’t looked at Reaper since its pretty early days) have quite different workflow to PT.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Another vote here for Reaper

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

+1 Reaper

Ceebug
    Free Member

Ableton Live 9 Lite? It often comes free with the Focusrite interfaces.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Music Recording types – What software question?’ is closed to new replies.