Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Music recording experts needed
  • dazzydw
    Free Member

We’ve got guitars, effects boxes, mic, drum machine, 8track mixer, headphone amp. Usually everything goes into the mixer then out to the headphone amp then out to everyone’s headphones.
    I used to do a lot of recording back in the days of “The Cassette Tape” so well versed in track recording and mixing but I want to setup to record on my Mac…

1. which output from the mixer will work best? Tape out / HPhone / Alt3-4 / Main ?
    2. which output from the mixer MUST NOT be used – will it blow the LineIn?
    3. How do I get to use the USB or Firewire input? Is it better? Do I need another box of tricks?

Have been using Garageband to start with, Logic Express looks like a good first proper setup. Anyone use it?

D

leffeboy

Until an expert appears I would suggest

1. Use alt. 3/4. That let’s you tweak the mix a little over what you send to headphones. Otherwise just the tape out
    2. Unless the mixer is designed to drive speakers as well all then of the outputs should be ok. It is possible depending on the output levels that they may be too high and saturate the line input but none should destroy it
    3. If you want to use USB the you will need a USB preamplifier. Yamaha do a nice little one but there are others. As you already have the mic preamps on your mixer it isn’t clear that you are going to gain a lot. Your biggest benefit is that you may then be able to record 4 channel. 2 from USB and 2 from line in if you can work out how to do that on your desk

dazzydw
    Free Member

Cheers leffeboy – Only problem I see using the LineIn is I need 2 1/4″ mono jacks to go to a 2to1 converter than to a 1/8″ converter. I’ll need to build a support structure for that lot sticking out the back. I guess I could find a short patch cable …

leffeboy

You could just buy the cable and save yourself some pain. Here is a cruddy looking one on amazon but I’m sure there are others

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Stereo-6-35mm-Cable–Metres/dp/B0034DSUMK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1313530822&sr=8-5

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Music recording experts needed’ is closed to new replies.