Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Music map- how's that work then?
  • Ambrose

I’m late to the game I suspect and only stumbled upon Music Map by chance yesterday.

It seems to work for me inasmuch as it correctly identifies music/ acts that I do like. I typed in Orbital and a whole swathe of the screen filled with bands I listen to.

So how does it ‘know’? I’ve tried out it’s suggestions and it seems good.

Music Map

isto
    Free Member

Yeah it’s pretty good there are quite a few other suggestion sites but this is the only one I have seen that displays it in such a way.

Presumably with lots of tags to link similar artists/bands

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

There’s an app called discovr which does the same sort of thing, but in a nicer way (well for me anyway)

midlifecrashes

I’d guess someone has just harvested iTunes and Spotify data and seen which artists appear on the same person’s play history. The rest is just visualization, they could have given a list of percentages.

slowoldman

I was intrigued that I could get from Orbital, who I have no interest in, to Benjamin Britten, who I have a massive interest in, in only 3 clicks. Mind you “Benjamin Britten” has a different set of associations to “Britten”. Interesting, these connections. I wonder who made them up developed them.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Quite good, never seen that before.

Ambrose

“I’d guess someone has just harvested iTunes and Spotify data and seen which artists appear on the same person’s play history”

So how does that get done- I’m intrigued. Do Spotify et al sell on the stats to third parties?

steveoath
    Free Member

Didn’t know the first band I put in 🙁

CountZero

I gave it a try with Metric:

[/url]Untitled by Adrian Hillier, on Flickr

Interesting that it says the closer a name to the original, the more likely it is you’ll like them, so you’d think that Emily Hayes would be right next to Metric; seeing as how she’s their singer and main songwriter…

Ambrose

I agree- so how does it work? Is it a scattergraph? What are the axes?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Music map- how's that work then?’ is closed to new replies.