Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Music mags and free CDs on the cover
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

You know, I used to love Q and the CDs on there, but they are rarer now, and not to my taste.
    Then it was Uncut, but that fell by my wayside too after a while. On ocassion I'll get if the subject is interesting to me.

Currently, I'm appreciating the efforts that Mojo produce – often themed and often with four or five belters on each CD. Been a regular for two and half years now.

Of late though, I've found a new appreciation for The Word – not just in the CD content, but also for the articles and writing. They take a less serious approach to their sublects, but seem to retain a knowledge and understanding. I like it.

No real point to this. Just going through a domestic separation of sorts, and music is helping lift me when I need lifted, and I wondered if others got the same enjoyment from the same sources, albeit with different circumstances.

Rock on

Keva
    Free Member

know what you mean but they're always a bit of a gamble really, and I've found they don't generally stand the test of time. Play it six months one year down the line and it's dated already.

athough saying that, this was a good one from a few years ago… maybe 'cause it's not just a collection of the 'latest' music…

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Here-Comes-The-Sun/release/767270

Kev

tyger
    Free Member

Spotify

nickc

I can't read music mags, I put up with the NME, mostly for the gig guide, and the album reviews, but reading 'bout music leaves me a bit cold.

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

Word is probably the best music mag out there at the moment, Mojo can be a little too serious sometimes – Q and NME just pander to whatever they think is cool with the kids by constantly putting in big interviews with mediocre bands (Kasabian i'm looking at you)

on a different note, has anyone heard The Dead Weather album? fantastic and a super great video too

treat me like your mother

ourmaninthenorth

I remember buying the first edition of Uncut. chucked it our years ago thinking "this won't last".

Of all the cover mounted CDs, I've only ever had one that was any good – a series of covers of Springsteen songs by the likes of the Band and Townes van Zandt.

Other than the odd article, all of them (including Word – run by a mate of my boss) are tedious in the extreme.

I read the odd review in the weekend papers, but otherwise go off what I hear on my travels around the internet, what friends have that I like, and whatever takes my fancy when I'm in Piccadilly Records.

Pigface
    Free Member

I used to like Sounds, that dates me.

SST
    Free Member

Sounds was better than NME

CountZero

Love The Word, mainly because it covers all sorts of stuff, and the music features are nearly always interesting. I've been buying it since around issue five or six, and every cd has made it into iTunes, the only tracks to be left off are those on albums I've bought by the artist sampled. I think I only have two tracks from a Q cd in iTunes, and I gave up buying Q several years ago. I just got bored with it. I'm just not interested in yet another feature about bloody Oasis or Kasabian or whoever the kids in the office think is flavour of the month. Word is much more eclectic in the range of music it champions, in fact it could almost be 6Music's house magazine, as it follows a very similar range of artists.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

You're the second person, CountZero, I've heard associate The Word with 6Music in the last week.
    I must get myself a DAB radio and give it a listen.

Interesting, also, is the fact you've bought albums by sampled artists and discovered that the best track was the sampled one! I've often held off buying a sampled artist's CD just from having that suspicion, and you've confirmed to me that I've saved a few quid from doing so. Thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Music mags and free CDs on the cover’ is closed to new replies.