Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Music lessons for kids?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Where do you get yours from? Got a leaflet sent home from school for Presto Music but seems a little pricey for what it is. Daughter wants to learn an instrument but it seems that her school doesn’t do anything ‘in house’ in the way my primary school did.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Daughter wants to learn an instrument but it seems that her school doesn’t do anything ‘in house’ in the way my primary school did.

Send her to a private school then! 😉

(Seeing as there’s another thread running on that!)

Longarmedmonkey

We pay £20 an hour for 1:1 lessons at the teachers home. I get to sit in the car with a coffee and singletrack – priceless.

Group lessons should be cheaper.

Nick

I have an invoice here from dearest daughter’s school to pay £150 for 10 individual flute lessons of 20 mins each……

That’s £45 an hour..

Longarmedmonkey

We quit school lessons because they always asked my daughter if she would mind if another student joined them. Never asked me! Spoke to the teacher she undercut the council music service with her own private tuition.

MoreCashThanDash

Laddo’s school flute lessons something like 15 minutes a week for £36 a half term. Is that £24 an hour? One to one, through Derbyshire schools.

Whatever you pay, it will be wasted if you don’t make them practice 10 minutes a day – which also helps establish whether they have the real gumption to stick with it. Best advice my wife’s music teacher friend ever gave us!

wors

Council run music service come into my lads primary school. Think its about £50 per term for a weekly 40 minlesson.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

There are three great things that everyone can do in the course of their lives and one of them is to make music. Lessons can be expensive, but they will help your kids become better people in the long run. Our kids get their private lessons through the school. Money well spent.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

I have a lot of experience in this area of teaching.

Expect good experienced teachers who know there stuff to charge £30-£40 per hour. But normally pupils take. 20-30 min lesson. You can get teachers who charge less and they may also be very good. Group lessons actually can be very good, especially as beginners. Having somebody to learn with can motivate and make it more fun.

If you have lessons through the local music service and take individual lessons you may actually be paying more tha the teachers normal rate. ( think hourly rate for the teacher + on costs of employment, + running costs for the music service) but you do get the ease of having the lesson in school time and / or a commitment to keep tuition going ( one teacher leaves they will supply another etc)

If you are doing this kind of lesson through a school or privately do keep close tabs on what the teacher is doing. It is far too easy to have teachers coasting and not pushing pupils. Speak to other parent s and try to find out about good teachers in your area.

And yes as others said, what the teacher does is only a small part of it, get your kid to practice, and be proactive in working with your child yourself (even if you know nothing about music just listen and motivate). It is a fantastic thing to be able to play music !

alexmccafe
    Free Member

Hi, my son is currently taking private lessons in piano. It’s £35 per hour. I am happy with the teacher that was sent to us from the arts academy in Brentford. It’s pretty much depends on the communication between teacher and child. Once you have it your child will enjoy this activity.

Cougar

That would probably have been a much more successful attempt at astroturfing had your email address not been Brentford Arts Academy’s Marketing department.

slowoldman

If they are vaguely serious, then private lessons definitely. Prices vary widely – up North tends to be cheaper than dahn sarf. £25 – 30 an hour and a beginner would probably make do with 30 mins.

By the way, what instrument?

lauramcdonald
    Free Member

sadmadalan

Why do we expect lessons to be cheap? If we are paying a professional to teach your child a skill, we should expect to pay for it. I did and my two got to good levels. The hard work as the parent is making sure that YOU have the time to help your child with their music, even just listening helps

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I suspect the quality of the teacher is key and I would pay more for a teacher than inspires the child to continue and really get into it and enjoy learning. Kids, my daughter included, try a few lessons, you then buy the instrument, then they loose interest as either the group learning doesnt work or the teacher is hard work. I’d pay more for a teacher that would inspire the child. priceless.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Music lessons for kids?’ is closed to new replies.