Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Music help – what was the best of 1971?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Mate at work is 40 tomorrow so want to get some music form the birth year, what was the pick of music back then?
    12 songs please

mmb
    Free Member
    Nick

Wild World – Cat Stevens

Edukator
    Free Member

Slade!

tankslapper
    Free Member
    john_drummer
    Free Member

http://www.number-ones.co.uk/1971-number-ones.html/artist

T-Rex, early Slade, and some various “novelty acts”

Search for TOTP 1971 on youtube.

Edukator
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVPqyw2GuEE[/video]

Recorded live 1971 and released March 72

grtdkad

Won’t Get Fooled Again – The Who

RichPenny
    Free Member

Life On Mars – David Bowie
    Riders On The Storm – The Doors
    Famous Blue Raincoat – Leonard Cohen
    Blue – Joni Mitchell
    What’s Going On – Marvin Gaye
    Brown Sugar – Rolling Stones
    Man In Black – Johnny Cash
    Sweet Leaf – Black Sabbath
    Jealous Guy – John Lennon
    Stairway To Heaven – Led Zeppelin
    Mushroom – Can
    Ride A White Swan – T-Rex

Edukator
    Free Member

I could manage a few lines of most of that list and hum all of them except mushroom. I couldn’t do the same for any song currently in the charts. :-/

BoardinBob

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member
    Search for TOTP 1971 on youtube.
    POSTED 23 MINUTES AGO #

He said best of, not worst of

I was thinking something similar myself, Edukator.
    It can’t just be down to bands having to fit the X factor formula to get air play. If Stairway To Heaven or Riders On The Storm had only been written a few week ago, they would have gone viral on youtube by now, even without record company backing.
    It can only be that kids today are less talented and creative than they were back then. 🙁

RichPenny
    Free Member

That’s cos you’re old innit 😉

BoardinBob, OK you’ve got a point. Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep by Middle of the Road comes up second on the list.

CountZero

It can only be that kids today are less talented and creative than they were back then.
    Izzat so? Laura Marling, first album released when she was eighteen, Adele, nineteen, there are lots of pretty young, talented artists out there, Bat For Lashes, Chew Lips, Mechanical Bride…

alexpalacefan

Tunes from his birth year… OK. Bur what about tunes from his teanage years that he’ll remember and love?

A

manitou
    Free Member

the Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East.
    Duane and Dickey in twin guitar heaven
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Allman_Brothers_Band

Dibbs
    Free Member

Maggy May

Markie
    Free Member

Led Zeppelin IV.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbJQT2eDseA[/video]

BigJohn

I really loved Gong’s 1971 album Camembert Electrique. “Wet Cheese Delirium” and “I’ve Bin Stone Before” are a couple of tracks worth a listen.

DezB
    Free Member

It can only be that kids today are less talented and creative than they were back then.

Probably one of the most ridiculous things I’ve read on here.
    Just because you don’t know where to look for up and coming music by young, creative kids, doesn’t mean it ain’t there. Jeez!

BigJohn

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpMlY3jyQJ8[/video]

Probably one of the most ridiculous things I’ve read on here.

I’m sure I’ve said far more ridiculous things than that before.

I don’t listen to much current music on the radio, so I could well have missed the good stuff.
    Name a couple of songs that have been released in the last year or so that you consider to be equal to Stairway To Heaven or Riders On The Storm.
    Name a couple of new bands or singers that you expect to have a career to match David Bowie or The Rolling Stones.
    I’ll look them up on Youtube and see what I think.

Waderider
    Free Member

I’m kind off with MTG, but the problem might be the music industry doesn’t work properly any more. They are more interested in folk they can market than people with a broad spread of talent (i.e. play own instruments, write own songs, and have the (****’) X-factor).

Lots of talent out there, I’m sure, but lots harder to identify with all the chaff forced upon us.

failedengineer

I’m sort of with MTG as well, but I do hear some good new stuff occasionally and I suspect that if I listened more, I would hear more. A lot of the stuff I listen to is by people who were around in that period. I probably don’t try to find new stuff ‘cos I’m happy with the old stuff.

DezB
    Free Member

Stairway To Heaven or Riders On The Storm.
    Name a couple of new bands or singers that you expect to have a career to match David Bowie or The Rolling Stones.

That’s hardly the same argument as kids being less talented or creative than they were 30-40 years ago. There’s probably more kids being creative out there, but there’s so much of it – current and from the past, that it is harder to rise to the top than it was.

Even if I could show you something I consider to be equal to the 2 classics you name, you wouldn’t “get it” if you’re one of those “happy with the old stuff” types. 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

Even though I can’t name anything currently in the charts there’s a host of recent music I like just as much as the 70s stuff and can sing along with as happily. It’s just not mainstream, mainstream being dominated but the marketing men only interested in stuff that will reward their efforts with cash.

In the 70s you could list the niches quite easily and each had a follwing that resulted in sales in millions. Glam, prog, metal rock ‘n’ roll, soul, disco, motown, regae, folk, folk rock… . In the 80s it became more diversified and now we have so many niches and styles that mix niches that it’s hard to define what you’re into. If people ask what I like I just answer “pop” for want of a better description.

There used to be just a couple of music stations in each country and walking though a town you’d hear the same stuff on every radio on every building site. Then came FM, MTV and finally streaming which means nobody is locked into someone elses playlist. We have the best of all worlds and even if I look abck fondly on 70s music I’m thankful not to have to rely on John Peel if I fancy discovering something new even if it is something old rehashed- ther are only so many combinatiaons of notes and even less sound reasonable in sequence.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0kNiPQLtmw&feature=related[/video]

chiefgrooveguru

The good stuff lasts whilst the current stuff tends to be dominated by whoever’s got the most effective marketing machine, thus unless you’re good at ignoring the dross and finding the gems, the music of any era always seems best in retrospect.

nickf
    Free Member

Baba O’Reilly or Won’t Get Fooled Again.

1971 was an awesome year for The Who…….

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Music help – what was the best of 1971?’ is closed to new replies.