Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Music. Albums you like not considered the artists best.
  • athgray
    Free Member

Are there albums you find your self drawn to that for whatever reason are not considered the magnum opus of the artist? Could be an early album, something produced by an artist considered over the hill or a change of direction that had many confused. Why are you drawn to them? Some of mine are:-

Radiohead, Kid A. A departure into more experimental electronic terrain.I am drawn to electronic music

The Verve, A Storm in Heaven. First proper album, a bit raw but heavy on guitar effects giving it an other worldly feel

Miles Davis, Some Day My Prince Will Come. Feels to me a bit less modern and more classically structured than say A Kind of Blue or Sketches of Spain.

tazzymtb

Fields of the nephilim “dawn razor” later stuff was much more polished but I loved the raw sound in that album.
    Sepultura “schizophrenia” loved it to bits

john_drummer
    Free Member

+1 Dawn Razor

First & Last & Always. the only album by the ‘true’ Sisters Of Mercy. Floodland, while well produced, was sterile by comparison. The less said about Vision Thing the better…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

never bought a sisters album, none appealed. Have all their early EP’s tho.
    Lots of bands I’ve preferred their first raw efforts before they’ve disappeared up their own arses.

boxfish
    Free Member

The Verve, A Storm in Heaven. First proper album, a bit raw but heavy on guitar effects giving it an other worldly feel

I remember the first time I heard this in 1994. It is still up there in my top 20 favourite albums. Psychedelic!

I have a soft spot for Pure Phase by Spiritualized, Fireball by Deep Purple and Spleen And Ideal by Dead Can Dance.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Host by Paradise Lost, their ‘Depeche Mode tribute album’ hated by most PL fans, I love it.

boxfish
    Free Member

I like Shades Of God by PL. Not really heard their stuff since then.

mikey74
    Free Member

Fields of the nephilim “dawn razor” later stuff was much more polished but I loved the raw sound in that album.

I always understood that was supposed to be their best.

I really like the more recent Iron Maiden albums: The Final Frontier, Dance of Death, A Matter of Life and Death. There are mixed views among Maidenites.

mikey74
    Free Member

I like Shades Of God by PL. Not really heard their stuff since then.

But that IS one of their best. Certainly one of my faves.

boxelder

Gish – smashing pumpkins
    Hatfull of hollow – Smiths
    Catholic education – Teenage fanclub

tazzymtb

I always understood that was supposed to be their best.

that was usually “elizium”

NMA ghost of cain

and

Killing joke “night time”

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Give Out but Don’t Give Up, Primal Scream’s second album. Often referred to as their Rhythm and Blues aberration.
    Bagsy Me by The Wannadies.

Two that come to mind.

athgray
    Free Member

Good shout on Primal Scream DD. Vanishing Point.

jamj1974

I remember the first time I heard this in 1994. It is still up there in my top 20 favourite albums. Psychedelic!
    I have a soft spot for Pure Phase by Spiritualized

These are both ones of mine too!

With the Beatles.
    Nirvana Unplugged.
    Vanishing Point – Primal Scream.
    Boy – U2.
    Up To Our Hips – The Charlatans.
    Music of the Spheres – Ian Brown
    A Northern Soul – The Verve
    Pilgrims Progress – Kula Shaker
    Their Satanic Majesties Request – The Rolling Stones

mikey74
    Free Member

Nirvana Unplugged.

Once again: Unplugged is a great Nirvana album.

I don’t think people are getting the OP concept :mrgreen:

beanum

I’m about to hit Spotify to check some of these out…

For me:
    Kate Bush – The Dreaming
    Pearl Jam – One Code
    Prince – Lovesexy

edlong
    Free Member

Nirvana’s In Utero seems to have undergone a bit of a critical rehabilitation, having received a very mixed reception on release. Always absolutely loved that album.

jamj1974

mikey74 – Member
    Nirvana Unplugged.
    Once again: Unplugged is a great Nirvana album.
    I don’t think people are getting the OP concept

Many people including fans don’t regard it as highly as their studio records… Forgive me but I think I am getting the OP’s concept 🙂

jamj1974

In Utero has always been a favourite of mine as well edlong.

2bit
    Free Member

De la Soul – Buhloone Mindstate
    Sly & the Family Stone – Fresh / Small Talk
    Underworld – Dubnobasswithmyheadman

athgray
    Free Member

Live albums and compilations are not what I had in mind when posting, as it is normally a band showcasing their best work, however I would concede that some artists have produced live albums that are considered to break the mould and add a new dimension to their sound. Nirvanna Unplugged is one of these IMO.

Other ones I though about,
    Orbital Snivilisation. Worth it for Kevin Trunk Wasser and Are We Here? Two great tracks.
    Apollo 440 Millennium Fever. One of the few albums I listen to from start to finish.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Love – Love (classic/best album – Forever Changes)
    Greatful Dead – Greatful Dead (not sure, American Beauty?)
    Led Zep 1 – Led Zep (Led Zep 2 or Led Zep 4)
    the Clash – The Clash (that double album )
    Plastic Surgery Disaster – Dead Kennedys (fresh Fruit fRV)
    Boy/October – U2 ( don’t know but not these)
    There are loads of others

mrmoofo

Metal Machine Music – Lou Reed
    Sandinista – The Clash ( yeah, critics love it)
    Second Coming – Stone Roses
    The second ABS album – which was just awful …
    The last Kings of Leon effort – so shit , I can’t remember its name
    Anything the Prodigy did after “Fat of the Land”

TheSanityAssassin

Vengeance – New Model Army
    The Fan and the Bellows – The Chameleons
    Back Again in the DHSS – Half Man Half Biscuit

jamj1974

Sweetheart of the Rodeo – The Byrds
    Orange Blossom Special – Johnny Cash
    INXS – Welcome to Wherever You Are
    Sea Change – Beck

CountZero

This is where the subjective nature of music really shows. Who are these people who decide which album is a career best by a band? What is their criteria? Is it a committee, a bunch of blokes who sit down and thrash it around until they decide on a consensus?
    I take virtually no notice of anything critics say about music and albums; they’re being payed to have a point of view, and they directly affect album sales, as they’re effectively paid by the very industry they critique.

The less said about Vision Thing the better…

See, I absolutely love that album, I saw the Sisters on that tour, and they rocked!
    Paul Simon’s best album is often said to be Graceland, and, while it was fairly groundbreaking, and politically significant, what with the whole recording in Sun City with Black African musicians, it doesn’t come close to Hearts And Bones, an album ignored by the media at the time, yet it has quite possibly his best ever songwriting on it, and is a flawless recording.
    Peter Gabriel’s fourth album was given dreadful reviews, because it used rhythms and samples from all over the world, was described as ‘pandering to the white man’s guilt’ by NME, but it’s by far my favourite album of all of his, while So is usually regarded as his best.
    I know what I like, and it very, very rarely has a ‘critic’s choice’ label stuck on it. 😀

nicko74

Adore, Smashing Pumpkins. Very different, but very good.
    New Adventures in HiFi, REM. Not their “classic” phase, but frankly that’s why I like it – you don’t hear the tracks every day on the radio.
    Green Album, Weezer. Although this may be a bit less contentious – it’s not like it’s their red album or Maladroit.

dandax1990
    Free Member

Arctic Monkeys – Favourite Worst Nightmare.

stevious

Agree with the OP about ‘Kid A’ being an astounding album. Think I slightly prefer In Rainbows now but at the time it sounded pretty out there.

sc-xc

Give Out but Don’t Give Up, Primal Scream’s second album. Often referred to as their Rhythm and Blues aberration.

That was their fourth album. But you are right, their second album (titled Primal Scream) was their best.

aidanoggy
    Free Member

Give em enough rope – The Clash. Best problematic second album ever!

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Candy Apple Grey – Husker Du

jekkyl

Queen’s Jazz, Orbital’s brown album or no2.

martinhutch

Dylan – Infidels

Even Dylan wasn’t that keen. But it’s got Jokerman, Don’t Fall Apart on Me Tonight, Licence to Kill, Sweetheart like You, all great tracks.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

One Hot Minute
    The Nylon Curtain
    The Resignation and Those Damn Bandits/Demo Tape

edlong
    Free Member

One Hot Minute, entirely subjective as to what constitutes “best” but hard to deny that it’s one of their most interesting.

Queen’s Jazz another good call that I’d forgotten about, used to listen to that one a lot, must dig it out…

ji
    Free Member

I really like The Final Cut (Pink Floyd). It is rough around the edges, and you can hear the rest of the band moving away from Roger Waters, but it still has some great lyrics and music. There would be lots of dispute over their critically aclaimed best album, but I am sure the final cut is not on most people’s list!

bokonon
    Free Member

Another vote for metal machine music by Lou Reed as well as; Reload – Metallica & 10,000 Days – Tool.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

10,000 is pretty damn awesome.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Live albums and compilations are not what I had in mind

Shame as I was going to say “Rank” the live Smiths album – apparently Morrisey’s favourite too.
    There is also a live Nephilim album with a blue cover that’s just called “Fields of the Nephilim BBC radio one live” that is well worth seeking out. The version of Endomoniada it opens with is fantastic.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Music. Albums you like not considered the artists best.’ is closed to new replies.