Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Muse = Smashing Pumpkins for the naughties?
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

I just read the comment by PeterPoddy. Wow.

A lot of people misconceive Radiohead. Their range is fairly broad; In Rainbows, Kid A, The Bends are exceptionally different to each other. From what I’ve heard of Muse, it’s the same sound, same vocal style, same “aesthetic” if you like. Radiohead on the other hand have repeatedly stepped outside of their own pigeonhole.

Northwind

jhw – Member

Any band whose songs don’t work if you strip it down to a guitar, a bass and a drum kit, is $hit, and Muse prove that. They sound like a bunch of guys who learned to play their instruments in a pub, can’t write any songs, but somehow have funding so could hire a bunch of classically trained musicians

Um… Most of their music is just a guitar (and pedals), a bass and a drumkit, with occasional piano and a few FX on triggers- they’ve got a 4th member for live shows now running most of the electronics but until fairly recently everything they did on stage was just the 3 of them. Surprising how much noise they made really.

As for “learned to play their instruments in the pub”, I’m just assuming that’s a troll? Holds absolutely no water with Bellamy… Apart from being not too shabby on a guitar, how many pub musicians could play the Albert Hall and knock out one of their tracks on their Grand Organ?

emac65
    Free Member

Can’t stand Bellamy’s voice,like fingernails down a blackboard to me,argh !

Northwind

Herman Shake – Member

From what I’ve heard of Muse, it’s the same sound, same vocal style, same “aesthetic” if you like.

Only heard the singles? Just as a quick sample here…

Does this
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMqsWc8muj8[/video]
    sound like this

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i9eIfsadAs&feature=related[/video]

or this

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WbvAOmFejc&feature=related[/video]

or this

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxXtQmy0RZY[/video]

<edit- ironically, I kept getting Radiohead adverts on Youtube while picking these tracks out- all instantly recognisable as Radiohead 😉

HermanShake
    Free Member

Ok, some variance. The last song sounded like Keane (not a compliment). The orchestral piano thingy was technically good but not my mug of coffee and 1,2 and 4 had the same sustained Bellamy vocal thing. Hyperbole loses it’s effect when over used. He’s musically cried wolf too many times for me to be moved.

It is still the same aesthetic. Granted it is not identical and has some variance; which you would pray for from a a band that’s been about this long.

Back to the original point:

Muse=orange squash (pleasant, but you never really go “I could murder a glass of squash)

Radiohead=pizza (available in a number of styles, sizes and depth. Suitable for both an individual or a group of people. Delicious)

Smashing Pumpkins=roast dinner (completely different, varied and highly satisfying)

Orange squash is available in hi-juice, smart price, organic, own brand etc but always tastes like squash.

Northwind

Herman Shake – Member

1,2 and 4 had the same sustained Bellamy vocal thing.

And every Radiohead song with vocals has pretty much the same Thom Yorke vocals 😕 They’re 2 very distinctive, instantly recognisable vocalists, but it seems like one of them’s getting criticised for it here and the other isn’t. (this isn’t a criticism of Radiohead at all btw, I love Thom’s voice).

I have no idea how you “musically cry wolf” though. It’s not like he’s going “Right, time for some high pitched vocals for maximum emotional effect” and overusing it, it’s just how he sings. It seems like criticising Thom for croaking, or Tom Waits for always sounding like he’s about to die of something horrible.

jhw
    Free Member

A more general question which occurred to me as I read this thread:-

Is there an objective standard of “good” music against “bad”/”humdrum” music – e.g., “a hit is a hit” – something impossible to describe but which everyone can instantly identify (e.g. the difference between the Pumpkins and Radiohead on one hand, and Muse on the other. Or the Chilis of Blood Sugar vs the Chilis of By the Way. Or Nirvana as against Bush).

Or is it all relative? Are the views of those people who prefer the Chilis’ more recent Waitrose aisle music to Blood Sugar Sex Magik, valid? (I always left the party when By the Way came on, by the way). Do we have to accept that in some contexts, for some people, Muse are better than the Pumpkins…despite all evidence to the contrary?

Probably a question of degree, e.g. anyone who says Muse trump Radiohead is simply wrong on every level, objectively, but whether you prefer Radiohead’s mid-90s stuff to their post-Kid A stuff (I’m the latter)…or Radiohead to the Pumpkins (I’m undecided) is a question of judgment/context

Conqueror
    Free Member

Pumpkins is quite varied

There’s definitely elements of grunge/punk/stadium metal/shoe gaze/acoustic/goth .. difficult to categorise a bit like Radiohead it depends which CD and tracks you are listening to

Does Muse approach that diversity? Are they as technically accomplished? [as the Pumpkins]

captain_spaulding
    Free Member

I like music, it is good.
    I don’t like music which is bad, i just don’t like it,
    but music when it is played well sounds ace!
    It’s just when it’s played badly it really sounds bad.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Great comments from the 3 above.

Northwind, I guess I personally connect more with the emotion put forward by Yorke than Bellamy. I dislike drama for drama’s sake, it doesn’t feel like genuine expression to me; which is my personal requirement for music to be good. I accept that some people just like that sort of thing.

Ironically, the Pumpkins frequently are/were dramatic for the sake of it, but I think they can’t help being odd (maybe it’s all a clever, well marketed act?).

I do feel that Bellamy chucks in the sustained high pitch to ice the cake a little prematurely. I have found Radiohead to be more emotionally stirring due to the build and crescendo, or restrained delicate nature of the music. It’s more about the choice of when to create impact.

Power is nothing without control. (or some other cliche quote)

DezB
    Free Member

I like Pumpkins, probably were my favourite band when they were around.
    I’m indifferent to Muse, although I can understand their appeal. I wouldn’t go see them live cos I hate big gigs.

backed by Billy’s voice and Jimmy’s drumming
    Iha’s guitar was the most important thing for me.

CountZero

I think Herman states things as well as anybody. I have no issues with drama, or melodrama, but only when it’s controlled, ie, held back as a gig highlight, or building up to big finale. I’ve never seen either Radiohead, Muse, or the Pumpkins for that matter, although I love ‘head, the other two never really lit my candle, but I guess that Muse really have been a stadium band by intent from the beginning, whereas both Radiohead and the Pumpkins are bands you could easily see playing an intimate small gig and doing it well. Histrionics get tiresome when that’s all that’s on offer, there needs to be light and shade, and I don’t think Bellamy really understands that. Corgan really could be up his own arse, though, from what I’ve read.
    What is it with three piece bands and racket though? Or even duo’s; Blood Red Shoes are incredibly loud, for a lad on drums and a teeny little girl with a guitar. And an amp/cab as tall as I am.

the lovely, and loud, Laura.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Muse = Smashing Pumpkins for the naughties?’ is closed to new replies.