Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • muse – glastonbury
  • ChrisHeath

but AFAIK Morello doesn't compose songs or sing

Yes he does. The Nightwatchman.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Wow it's like being in Q magazine

john_l
    Free Member

The Dead Weather's set was the best thing I saw all weekend.

SammySammSamm
    Free Member

Their set put a grin on my face, it was brilliant to hear their old stuff with the added depth of the synths, Citizen Erased just blew me away.
    Been a fan a long time, fell out with them with the pomp and polish but it was good to see them having fun again.

You can't compare them to Greenday live, it's an entirely different… thing.

chakaping
    Free Member

I found it to be hookless directionless twaddle full of self indulgent pap.

I was just going to say something very similar about them, albeit from a much-less-interested-in-prog-rock perspective.

Mystified why they're so popular. Not a modern day Queen, just as naff but don't have the same tunes or pop sensibility.

More like those pompous goth bands from the '80s, but with added guitar w*nkery.

SammySammSamm
    Free Member

In answer to OP, yeah it is a seven string.
    Don't take them seriously, it's a bit of fun. 🙂

mr_krabs
    Free Member

wow 86 responses later and someone has actually answered the question.

I can't say I'm a fan, but was impressed by their performance on saturday. then i'm not a music journalist/expert like some of the STW members. so clearly i am wrong to have be impressed by them. it is now something i deeply regret.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I was beginning to warm to Muse around the time of "Absolution" after watching the Glastonbury set (when the drummer's father died), which I thought was a stormer..

Then I heard the new stuff and they sounded just like U2.

Can't stand U2.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

More like those pompous goth bands from the '80s, but with added guitar w*nkery.

spot on, I think that deserves a pint mate. 😀

Re the seven string, yes I beleive it was an Ibenez Gem, twin humbuckers with a single coil in the middle- Designed by Steve Vai.

(slowly walks to the coat rack sellects anorak and walks out into the rain friendless and embarased)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

twin humbuckers

Is that legal? 😯

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

As long as you don't use your wang bar… fnrrph 😆

Northwind

"ChrisHeath – Member

but AFAIK Morello doesn't compose songs or sing

Yes he does. The Nightwatchman. "

Ah yes, that towering example of quality :mrgreen: "Come and see my band. I was in Rage Against the Machine you know. And I'm dead political. Please?"

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Bellamy has an interesting entry in Wikipedia. I didn't realise he was quite that highly regarded as a guitarist:

Bellamy was ranked #19 on Gigwise's list of The 50 Greatest Guitarists Ever.[5] Total Guitar readers voted Bellamy #29 on a list of the Top 100 Guitarists of All Time. Bellamy's riff from "Plug In Baby" was #13 in Total Guitar's poll of the Top 100 Riffs of All Time

In the January 2010 edition of Total Guitar, Bellamy was named Guitarist of the Decade and was proclaimed to be "the Hendrix of his generation".[9] In the Guinness Book of World Records 2010, Bellamy is credited as holding the world record for most guitars smashed on a tour

😀

Although sadly this seems to have included a Jackson Randy Rhoads custom which he played once and lobbed into the audience – never recovered 😯

nickc

Bellamy's increasing fretboard wankery is what has made a band that 6 years ago was fresh and exciting into one where the songs increasingly sound alike, and are a vehicle for just 'another' bit of flowery goip.

Play Plug in Baby and then play (heaven help us) Exogenesis Symphony Pt 3 (redemption) or Unnatural selection…

It's a short slide from here to wearing a flower round your head, you mark my words…

Northwind

Bellamy was always a fretwanker tbh… Though I do agree they're not the band they were, last album was a damp squib (I actually LIKE Exogenesis, I was really annoyed when they only played one part of it live, do or do not.)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Apart from the odd bit, I like Resistence – Esp. Exogenesis.

lowey

Just watched it on the I player.

Brilliant… just brilliant!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Muse is my 8 year old's favourite band. Nuff said.

The best bits I thought were the brief jams on other peoples riffs. And Feeling Good.

Bass player did nearly win the Tony Levin award for most basses played in a live gig. When he lit the pipe I thought we were in for Jazz Odyssey part 2.

midlifecrashes

How many extra musicians do they use live? Not criticising as there are obviously loads of layering stuff going on which couldn't all be done by just the three of them. Or do they have a click track preloaded with the extra parts? Do like them, but seems a bit odd not to acknowledge the extra musicians more.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

There was a "touring" keyboard player with a few extra drums by his keyboards. in the shadows just to the right of the drummer's riser. They probably could have managed most if it with just him. There were quite a few shots of him from behind in the second half of the set.

Some bands go the other way. Most of the music by the Doors was recorded with a bass player, but live the bass iines were played by keyboard player Ray Manzarek.

[/nerdy obsessive mode]

Northwind

The drummer has (or used to, not sure if he still does) a huge bank of fx and sample triggers, and I know bellamy's guitar tech runs some of the guitar fx offstage- he used to use a massive floorboard but that's not too practical in big venues, ties you to one spot. Course, some of his guitars are effectively FX pedals too.

But yep, they do now have a 4th touring member, and it's a bit crap that he has to hide up the back. Not sure when they started with that, certainly in the earlier days it was just the 3 of them and they didn't have so many expensive toys to play with, and they still made a ridiculously complicated noise with just 3.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Seen Muse twice now, but some years back. Loved both gigs and the albums…until now. Frankly they're turning into a parody of themselves. The last album was Muse on a slippery slope, sounding like the Pet Shop Boys meets Abba at times. The latest single really is a joke (yet no doubt I will rush out and buy the new album)

Northwind

Hmm. That's not much good is it… Has its moments but it plods. No spark…

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘muse – glastonbury’ is closed to new replies.