• This topic has 42 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by nonk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • muscle growth/mass, vegetarianism and protien shakes……..
  • vondally
    Free Member

…..so how does a committed veggie who wants to develop or increase muscle mass do this? What are the pros and cons of whey powder like substances or increase in protien in diet via more pulses, almonds, tofu and so on?
    ❓ 😀

rob-jackson
    Free Member

interested in this also.

Problem i am having is lack of iron in my diet – what iron rich foods are there apart from green vegetables? (none meat but fish is ok)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Try a proper diet.

iDave
    Free Member

What CFH said

kimbers

now youve opened it you may as well tuck in probably got more iron and protein than a salad!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

predictable, flashy.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sensible, too.

mbr30
    Free Member

Start on eggs and quorn in its various forms!

vondally
    Free Member

now now CFH…..veggie is a proper diet and has associated health benefits…..and so on……just for the meat eaters try this one
    paleolithic diet aka cavedwellers

xherbivorex
    Free Member

it’s not a sensible answer to the OP’s question at all. it’s trolling/flaming.
    but i’m not getting drawn into this!
    goodnight.

A friend of mine just placed 8th in the UK’s Strongest Man (Under 105kg) finals today, so there’s no reason why it can’t be done.

Lots of information on http://www.veganfitness.net
    In particular, a 70 page discussion on bulking
    Another one on high calorie vegan foods

vondally
    Free Member

quorn spawn of the devil sorry no

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Please vondally,don’t bite. We’ll be reading his particular brand of bullshit all night otherwise.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

8th, eh? What were 1 to 7 eating?

andrewh
    Free Member

Do you eat eggs cruzh?
    I’ve always relied on eggs and nuts but recently started using http://www.bikefood.co.uk/ their protein powder, vegan friendly which is unusual, although I’m only veggie.
    I’ll keep you posted on how it goes.

vondally
    Free Member

DD indeed,,,it is all good baiting…….no harm done but it is a seroius question as i need to increase the muscle mass to protect/prevent and recover from surgery.
    Cheers MTG intresting start does your friend take supplements?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

See what I mean?

donsimon
    Free Member

Can a vegetarian have whey powder?

vondally
    Free Member

andrewh yes but trying to keep them to a low intake. Intrested in the protien , please let us know how you go on.

Never tried Quorn, as it’s not vegan, but I really can’t see the point of replacing meat with something that contains battery farmed eggs.

Cougar

Can a vegetarian have whey powder?

It’s milk-derived, so veggies would be fine with it, vegans wouldn’t.

Try a proper diet.

If a proper diet means that my brains turn to so much mush that I start reading threads purely to troll, then I’ll stick to being veggie.

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s milk-derived,

I was thinking about the rennet.

Cougar

I was thinking about the rennet.

Good point, well made. Is there rennet in whey powder? I’d have to look it up.

donsimon
    Free Member

If it’s come from hard cheese manufacture, then yes.

vondally
    Free Member

i thought it contained rennet

donsimon
    Free Member

Rennet= No,no for vegetarians then.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

eggs – yes of course, love em

does your friend take supplements?

I don’t think so, not in the conventional weightlifter/bodybuilder way anyway.
    There’s a bit of an in joke with vegan weightlifters with “Death Shakes”.
    It’s a sort of contest to see who can come up with the best protein shake, usually involving peanut butter, hemp or pea protein powder, flax oil and stuff like that.
    Joni’s diet philosophy for weightlifting is pretty much the same as mine for cycling. If you eat plenty of everything you like, you’ll end up with enough of what you need.
    According to my Garmin, so probably not accurate, I’ve used 11000 Kcal during 12 hour races and 15000Kcal during 24 hour solos as a vegan.
    No supplements, just huge quantities of bread, vegetables and fruit.

nonk
    Free Member

ever heard of beans and pulses? it’s not hard ffs. 🙄

There are cheeses that don’t contain rennet, but again, as a vegan, I’ve heard of them but never bothered to find out which ones.

nonk
    Free Member

why bother though graham ? do you honestly need stuff that pretends to be something else?

AJames
    Free Member

Nuts my man and loads of em. As a youthful climber in the 80s I was vegan for 5 years (now just vegie) and couldn’t have maintained my muscle build and strength without nuts. Constant snacking on them… It worked, was as fit as a butchers dog (so to speak)…

donsimon
    Free Member

There are cheeses that don’t contain rennet, but again, as a vegan, I’ve heard of them but never bothered to find out which ones.

We worked on some of the first commercially made vegetarian cheese a few years ago, it was crap. Hopefully it’s come on since then.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MTG, as a proper vegan, goes up in my estimation most highly.

nonk
    Free Member

it’s simple learn to cook beans and pulses properly and in a way that tastes good most veggies cant be arsed and end up tossing about with eggs and cheese and loads of nuts. the best protein for a veggie is beans.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Veggies have a lot to thank some carnies for, y’know. They’re always quick to point out what they can and can’t eat. 🙂

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Don’t vegetarians get all the protein they need from the huge amounts of jizz they inevitably swallow?

sobriety
    Free Member

Eggs, is the simple answer for a veggie, my veggie mates don’t call them ‘protein bombs’ for nothing.

If you’re a Vegan, then what MTG says is most likely to be gospel.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Fittest person i know is a vegan.

vondally
    Free Member

okay add in low fat to the equation is this possible?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘muscle growth/mass, vegetarianism and protien shakes……..’ is closed to new replies.