Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Murray to win Wimbledon ?
  • Edric64
    Free Member

He cant possibly win can he ? and overshadow Wiggins winning the tour surely?

wwaswas

*spoiler*

😉

epo-aholic
    Free Member

he’s got a better chance than Tsonga anyway……..

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

at the stsrt of the week a couple of ex-pro pundits on 5Live said he was unstoppable and tipped him to win, which the BBC reporters were a bit surprised about.

Almost showed human emotion. We may warm to him yet.

donsimon
    Free Member

Edric64
    Free Member

Doesnt need a spoiler ive not said anything about any match he has competed in

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

he’s got a better chance than Tsonga anyway……..

is that true – Tsonga made a mess of Federer last year, didn’t he?

loum
    Free Member

Implied in the title.
    Couldn’t have a thread: “Tsonga to win wimbledon” now, could we?

donsimon
    Free Member

But there is a high probability that someone might put the result into the thread.
    I can’t be that hard to see that, can it?
    Arguments for and against spòiler threads, I think common sense would say avoid the flak.

mattjg
    Free Member

bike forum here, I come to get away from the tennis

non-bikey stuff over there –>

neil853
    Free Member

Genuinely hope not

cynic-al
    Free Member

spoiler idiot!

matt_outandabout

What is this tennis thing and who is ‘Murray’?

allthepies
    Free Member

Good work Edric 😆 8)

nealglover
    Free Member

is that true – Tsonga made a mess of Federer last year, didn’t he?

He’s unlikely to do the same at Wimbledon this year though eh.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Today Murray is British. By Sunday I will need to call him Scottish again.

C

billysugger
    Free Member

He’s England’s new Greg Rusedski.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

1977 – Queen’s silver jubilee, V Wade champion
    2012 – Queen’s diamond jubllee, A Murray champion

There is a nice symmetry to it. But why is he so hard to like? I admire his tennis and guts but, still not sure who to root for. On balance, and grudgingly, Murray but Federer is such a class act in all the ways that Murray isn’t. Hmmm……

MrFart
    Free Member

It’s nice to see a Scot excel in something and as such, as a proud Englishman, I shall be supporting Federer.

theotherjonv

Of course I want the Brit to do well, but there’s something about Tsonga that really makes me warm to him. Even yesterday, match point down, on a challenge, he was at the net grinning from ear to ear. Was disappointed in an odd way that he didn’t get through

organdonor
    Free Member

Honestly hope he gets his ass whooped.[/quote]
    +1

Of course I want the Brit to do well

Does not compute…

Mr_C
    Free Member

1977 – Queen’s silver jubilee, V Wade champion
    2002 – Queen’s golden jubilee, T Henman Semi-finalist
    2012 – Queen’s diamond jubllee, A Murray champion

FTFY. Although it doesn’t have quite the same symmetry.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

Typical racist remark that appears when a Scot does well at something 🙄

Northwind

theotherjonv – Member

Of course I want the Brit to do well, but there’s something about Tsonga that really makes me warm to him. Even yesterday, match point down, on a challenge, he was at the net grinning from ear to ear. Was disappointed in an odd way that he didn’t get through

He reminds me of people in an unexpectedly succesful band- seems like he still plays because he loves playing, and he knows he’s got the best job in the world. Most of the pro tour seem to play for the same reason I go to work.

Murray’s obviously got a chance in the final, but I reckon he’s going to get reamed. Again. He’s an excellent player in an era of greats.

Junkyard
    Free Member

But why is he so hard to like?

well as teh eloquent folk on here have explained his dour accent – he is quite witty in interviews when not in the zone – means some folk dont warm to him. of course he is not the plucky nice [ but rubbish]Englishman like Tim so there may be some moderate classism and gentle racism – the later of which has also been seen on this thread.
    Dont really care though I would always want a Brit to win as a rule but tennis is not my sport…more a darts mans and not the right demographic for tennis 😉

organdonor
    Free Member

Not his dour accent, he is dour – sullen, gloomy and ill-humoured. I care not that he’s a Brit, nor object because he’s a Scot. I won’t be supporting him because I neither like nor admire him; whilst Federer, as said before, is a class act.

Edric64
    Free Member

Honestly hope he gets his ass whooped. If he wins we’ll never hear the end of it

And Wiggins wont get sports personality of the year if he wins the tour

Then again neither him or Murray have much personality

sas78

Don’t understand why his personality affects his ‘popularity’ so much. He’s a superb, focussed professional and is at the top during a hugely competitive period in the sport. He’s a model professional who’s successful and clearly quite unassuming and modest, shy even. I actually find the term dour offensive!. Just because he’s not got a home counties accent and/or is a plucky loser, he seems to be a target for grief. As an aside, if he were a Geordie/Welshman/Brummie I don’t think it would be hugely different. Do it your way Andy, and get it up them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Funny how criticism of a Scot is deemed racist but not criticism of an English player! 😉

I agree about his professionalism and that is to be respected. Perhaps its his Mum that ruins it for the rest of us!!! But gradually the “establishment” is getting her to conform (slowly) !! 😉 😉

inbred853

If he wins and I said if, does it mean that we Scots can drag it up as much as you Engerlanders do aboot the wendyball that you won last century.;)
    To be quite honest I don’t really give a toss about either, but it will be a great conversation topic with my Engerlander mates.

organdonor
    Free Member

He’s a superb good, focussed professional and is at near the top during a hugely competitive period in the sport

FTFY

athgray
    Free Member

I wonder if the people who want Murray to get beaten because he is not very cheery also hope Team GB get whipped in the footbal. That is one team managed by a prize bellend.

organdonor
    Free Member

I don’t want Murray to get beaten because he’s miserable, I want Federer to win because he oozes class.

Olympic football? That’s a whole other moan…

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

COME ON TIM!!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s going to be indoors – which favours Federer I think – the echo indoors helps with your timing.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ok, so a few hours to go and I am trying to find reasons to root for Murray. Just come in from dog walk with friends and we managed five reasons (just):

1. He’s a Brit and its about time
    2. Great return of serve
    3. It’s the Diamond Jubillee (for symmetry alone)
    4. He works hard
    5 ok only four reasons so far

…any help?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I was thinking about this also.

I thoroughly enjoy watching Gee Atherton & Sam Hill ride bikes. I do not enjoy their interviews.

I thoroughly enjoy watching Ronnie O’Sullivan play. I do not enjoy his interviews.

To conclude, when Murray plays tennis I shall watch and enjoy. I won’t watch the interviews.

No help whatsoever teamhurtmore !:-)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Why the **** does anyone give a toss about spoty? It’s utter drivel.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

he’s looking good so far – aggressive and good depth on some of those groundstrokes, which have prompted a mistake from Federer…

Cliff Richard auditioning for a place in “Joseph and his multicolored dreamcoat”.

cheers_drive

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Why the **** does anyone give a toss about spoty? It’s utter drivel.

Well said.
    In an Olympic year I doubt Wiggins would get it anyway.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Murray to win Wimbledon ?’ is closed to new replies.