• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by egb81.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Murphy's law, your stories… (feeling sorry for myself content)
  • tomhoward

Here’s mine…

Evening/night ride this evening, can only find one knee pad. ‘Ah it’ll be reight…’
    Leave for Gisburn, sans knee pads
    Arrive at Gisburn
    Ride 1/4 mile
    Come off, land on knee, tear huge flap of skin off said knee, lots of blood.
    A&E in Harrogate for 4 hours, before being admitted overnight
    Post on STW at 223am as I can’t sleep cos my knee hurts.

Find out in the morning if I need to go into theatre for deeper cleaning and looots of stiches. Woo.

Who wants to take bets on if I’ll be able to ride Relentess 24hrs (that I’ve been training for, for the last 50 weeks…) in 2weeks time? 👿

(I have pics, but I’ll wait to post them further down the page, so the sqeamish can bail out…)

So, what’s your story?

atlaz
    Free Member

Nothing that bad but once drove for almost an hour only to find I’d left the bolt-thru on the front windowsill at home. Drove home, got it, drove back and as the rest of the group were miles away, decided to ride alone. 10 mins in, snapped 3 spokes. Walked back to car, drove home. 4 hours driving, 10 mins riding, 30 mins walking.

Some days you’re as well taking the karmic hint and staying at home.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Because of Murphy law, we never have a last ride say at Antur Stiniog etc.

It’s always “let’s do three more runs” at some point in the day but then we only do 2 and that’s it.

StirlingCrispin

TH – I’ve done and had similar.
    Recovery was suprisingly quick so you’ll be back on the bike in a few weeks.

Last week Thump announced that he wasn’t going to wear gloves. Clipped a fence seconds into the ride and went crashing to the ground, ripping all the skins from his hands. Bike was fine.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You just need some of that blue sticky tape athletes use to hold you together..

You should be tapering anyway, rest will do you good.

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYvZqJp-STk[/video]

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yep, once pulled on a pair of elbow pads, thought “nah, it’s boiling out” and threw them back in the van you guessed it. Mashed the end of my elbow off, 3 weeks in hospital, 9 month physio, still can’t straighten it.

I’d would have no doubt still broken it, but I might haven lessened the injury and it was the “wash out” to try to avoid infection that caused a lot of the damage.

Alex

Too many to list- involving leaving key parts 300 miles away or smashing myself up while protective gear was doing a sterling job in the shed that kind of thing, but.. I’ve had that injury slicing open my knee with a sharp flint. I too had the deep clean under a general and it was three weeks before I could ride on it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news..

You might be fine tho esp if they don’t go in there with the wire brush or whatever they cleaned mine out with. That was a tad painful.

Hope you get away with just stitches!

Alex

If you’re bored (as I was hence making mildly amusing notes to keep myself sane), I wrote a blog entry for each of the four days I was in there: http://pickled-hedgehog.com/?p=156.

11 years ago. Still have a lovely scar. Knee was absolutely fine tho once it’d healed 🙂

bigblackshed

“Yeah, one more run then we’ll go for coffee and cake”

That was at BPW in April, big off, mountain rescue, 2 days in hospital in Merthyr, with a further two days two weeks later to repair my finger. Still haven’t had that coffee and cake.

tomhoward

Morning all…

Docs just been round, full deep clean in theatre under general anaesthetic for me 😐 a sliver of good news is that if all goes well I’ll be on the start line at relentless. I’m not confident, as any injury I get tends to take forever to heal. We shall see…

As promised here’s a link to what my knee looked liked 12 hours ago… (not for the squeamish, you have been warned.)

Knee pads are for quitters

dumbbot
    Free Member

Oooft, heal up fast mate…

iainc

I did a similar injury on my elbow this time last year. The deep clean in theatre was horrible as I pushed for getting it done under local, as I’d sat waiting for theatre for 12 hrs and a general would have meant going home and back the following day. I had already spent 4 hrs in A&E the previous afternoon. The metal scrubbing brush won’t be forgotten….

I ended up with a skin graft and an elbow fracture, so was off the bike for a while.

ton

that will be ace for scab picking in a couple of weeks….. 😆

heel well young man.

mcnultycop

Get well soon!

I’ve bought a 27.5+ bike in the last month. However yesterday was only my second ride on it, as all my focus has been on the road for the Manchester to Blackpool BHF ride last weekend. When I got the bike I bought a spare tube as this was my first 27.5 bike. They only had one in Halfords in a decent width but it wasn’t on display, it was under the counter.

I thought nothing of this until yesterday when I rode up a couple of steps onto a bridge. I punctured so assumed it was a pinch flat from the rear hitting the square edge too quickly. Once I’d got the tyre off (the bead was really tight) even though I thought it was a pinch I had a quick check round and found a thorn. Feeling lucky I gave the new tube a few blasts on the pump before putting in the tyre. Nothing. Tube was already punctured.

It’s ok, I’ll patch the old one. Patches are in the frame bag, at home, attached to road bike I’d ridden to Blackpool on.

30 minutes riding. Mainly downhill. 1 hour carry of bike back to car (tyre was rubbing frame if I pushed it). With a hangover.

Tubeless tape and valves ordered before I even cleaned the bike.

poah
    Free Member

mcnultycop – Member

Get well soon!

I’ve bought a 27.5+ bike in the last month

that was enough, didn’t need the rest of the story lol

konanige

Thanks for the pic, feeling really lucky now. Did pretty much the same injury at Penmachno 3 years back, washed it out with hose, filled it up with antibiotic cream, taped a big plaster over it and didn’t look at it for a week!! healed ok though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Broke the same arm three times in 2 years. The last two werent even ‘mountain’ biking, they were fire road and road!

I ride singlespeed, and last week I snapped a chain!

bigblackshed

OP. That’s a tidy slash. Remember chicks dig scars.

Heal up soon.

egb81
    Free Member

Dream chance to ride in Squamish, BC. Hired a Specialized Enduro in the town, rode all the way up to the start of the first trail, got about 500m down and the back wheel washed out on a tight berm and the handlebar went into my knee cap shattering it into an uncountable number of pieces. Two nights in Squamish hospital and find out that my insurance refused to cover the costs. A very humble phone call to my folks to book a first class flight home, followed by two lots of surgery, four nights in hospital, four months off work, six months off the bike.

On the plus she, the medical services in both Canada and the UK were incredible and I’m back almost as good as new.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Murphy's law, your stories… (feeling sorry for myself content)’ is closed to new replies.