Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Murals on Walls in Belfast
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Just spent lunch driving around Belfast in Streetview, those murals are pretty mad, who paints them and why? Does it make you a bit of a target?

N.I. is a strange place.

fasthaggis

Graffiti over violence any day.

Pigface
    Free Member

Agreed

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ScottChegg
    Free Member

The graffiti was there at the same time as the violence. Their pride in it is a bit weird.

Mind you, they are very fond of their other big failure, the Titanic. Belfast folk always say “It was alright when it left here…”

jimjam
    Free Member

Pigface – Member

Just spent lunch driving around Belfast in Streetview, those murals are pretty mad, who paints them and why? Does it make you a bit of a target?

Most of the paramilitary ones are commissioned by the respective paramilitary group ie U.V.F. So no, it won’t make you a target since the person painting them will be protected by the terrorists themselves who act with complete impunity regarding the law. This is why they can be painted in broad daylight on the side of residential houses whether the home owner likes it or not.

Ones which aren’t explicitly controversial or sectarian might have funding/sanctioning from community groups and the like.

sv

The Titanic was ok when it left, blame the throttle man!

sv

Thought the Vitus fitted in well…

[/url]IMG_0508 by Michael 28, on Flickr[/img]

stcolin
    Free Member

I miss that strange place.

johnhe

I’ve lived here for ages, and the murals certainly seem to have had a revival in recent years as a tourist magnet. There are mad numbers of tour loads of tourists standing around looking at the murals most times you drive past.

isto
    Free Member

I live here and find some of the murals hilarious as they are largely very badly drawn…see Aslan above. That said I would much rather have the above than the also very badly drawn but also grim paramilitary ones.

We need more street art and less paramilitary/sentimental crap. But I suppose that wouldn’t do the tourist industry any good 🙄

Northwind

What’s going on there? Is the titanic being chased by the Flying Whitehouse? I always thought that iceberg theory was a bit farfetched. 1912 was an inside job!

globalti
    Free Member

We have murals in Blackburn:

jimjam
    Free Member

mrblobby
    Free Member

My mate lived in his flat for 3 years before he realised that the previous owner had left the immersion on.

konabunny
    Free Member

ULSTER SAYS NO to immersion heaters

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Murals on Walls in Belfast’ is closed to new replies.