Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Muppet WiFi router question.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I bought an ipad in the US and have barely used it
    back home for the want of a WiFi connection at home.

I have an Orange broadband connection box thingy which gives me unlimited web access and free international landline phone calls which I use a lot.

Can I simply buy a router, see below, and just connect it to the Orange box thingy and be WiFi good to go? Moonter Towers is an old stone built house with thick stone walls. How far can I reasonably expect the WiFi signal to reach?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-W8950ND-150MBPS-Wireless-Router/dp/B003YG6EHK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1317413252&sr=8-5

ratherbeintobago

What Orange box have you got? Has it not got WiFi anyway (how is it connected to your computer)?

Andy

Cougar

Has it not got WiFi anyway

This.

Can I simply buy a router, see below

“Simply”? No. The router out-of-the-box will expect to route to and from the ADSL connection, not an external router.

If you need a router then something that pertains to be for ‘cable’ connections should work; however, if all you need is a WiFi connection and assuming the Orange box has a spare Ethernet connection, you just need a wireless access point. In keeping with your first link, something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA701ND-150Mbps-Wireless-Access/dp/B002YETVVE .

However, as mentioned, I’d be surprised if the Orange router didn’t do it already. Before you buy anything, it’d help if you could clarify exactly what you’ve got already, make / model number rather than “thingy”.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve used Netgear DG834’s as wireless access points on a number of occasions….. just disable the ADSL connection in the settings, set the IP of your Orange box as the Gateway (to all things interwebby) and connect it to the orange box via an ethernet cable.

leffeboy

I think you will find that mcmoonter’s head will just have exploded

Milkie
    Free Member

What Cougar said, and I would also recommend that WiFi router, I use it for a 1.5k long range wifi connection with directional antenna’s.

If you already have an Orange LiveBox, you should be able to enable the Wi-Fi, check out the FAQ here

satchm00
    Free Member

If you want to use it outside of the house consider a “mifi” from 3 Network.

It connects to your ipad and the mifi dongle sits in your pocket. So you wouldn’t need to worry about which room you are in.

They cost around £10 a month for a basic 1Gb allowance and if other peoples usage is anything to go by this is plenty enough unless of course your streaming movies every day 24/7.

Cost wise its better to get your router sorted but the mifi is a good option as you can use it away from home. 🙂

Hope this helps

Satch

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I think you will find that mcmoonter’s head will just have exploded

Rick you read my mind.

I’ll get more info on the Orange box thingy this evening.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ok folks. I have an Orange Livebox 1448 – model DV4210-WU.

I popped into the Orange shop in town this afternoon for advice. they showed me their livebox which had a wireless button. My earlier version doesn’t.

It does however have a spare yellow Ethernet port. So I’m guessing Cougar’s suggestion is the way forward.

As Leffeboy says, you’ll need to keep advice simple.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

So I ordered the router Cougar suggested. Will report back.

Cougar

So I ordered the router Cougar suggested. Will report back.

Oh dear.

(-:

I popped into the Orange shop in town this afternoon for advice. they showed me their livebox which had a wireless button. My earlier version doesn’t.

“Can I have one that does then please? Thanks.”

mcmoonter
    Free Member

,They wanted something crazy like an additional twelve pounds a month for their new one when their previous one was free.

Cougar

Wah?

Dogs and cats, living together.

Milkie
    Free Member

If your Livebox doesn;’t have a Wi-Fi button, then you should be able to log in and enable it. These instructions should help you.

glenh
    Free Member

My livebox is years old and has no wifi button. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t have wireless though.

go to: http://192.168.1.1 (on a computer that is connected to your livebox) and check the configuration.

Green

Looks like your current live box should support wifi according to this –
    Amazon.

So following the instructions Milkie sent you should be good to go.

glenh
    Free Member

Yep, that’s what mine looks like.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Guys, this comes to you via wifi. One small step for MCbeaker – high five to stw

Cougar

Huzzah.

Did you fix the router, or is it with the AP?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I got it to work with the Orange Livebox, after a couple of calls to the helpline.

Computery stuff freaks me out. If it’s got nuts and bolts or an engine, I’m pretty fearless and will give near enough anything a go. I guess I’m just old school.

Cougar

Percussive maintenance is just as effective, mind.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Muppet WiFi router question.’ is closed to new replies.