Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Munich
  • Caher

Hello,
    anyone had any experience of living and working in Munich? How does the cost of living compare with ie the south of England?
    Most importantly – is there much biking around?
    cheers?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Alpin is yer man.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Munich is one of the most expensive cities to live in in Germany but it is still quite a bit cheaper than London. I have heard first hand that it is very difficult to get reasonably priced accomodation and there is often a queue of ten people or more all wanting to rent a flat with the landlord basically giving it to the highest bidder/earner.

As for MTBing Alpin is your man but the Alps are an hour’s drive away and the Garda Lake a three hour drive which gives you an idea.

colp

I worked there years ago, loved my time there.
    Food & drink is reasonable but I believe renting is expensive.
    You can be in Garmisch in around an hour, Soll, Scheffau in 1hr 20mins, there are access issues for bikers in Germany & Austria, so a lot of biking is restricted to bike parks to an extent.
    We still go there a few times a year for visits.

alpin
    Free Member

biking locally good… either trails along the river or around town.
    biking 45-1h from town… brilliant. Alps. obviously. either with the train (can get busy) or in the car (traffic jams on weekends in summer)

housing/rental…expensive. supply and demand. we were lucky but have been to a feww viewings where you had to queue in the stairwell. (i didn’t bother to look around). paying the agent for finding /putting in a good word is the norm but can be avoided.

eating/drinking…. generally very good. lots of options. lotds of beer gardens in summer (But avoid Löwenbräu and Paulaner!!!!!)

Munich is one of the safest towns. i’ve no problem/worry with the GF walking home at 2am.

I’ll reply in more detail tomorrow if you want anything specific…….

jambalaya
    Free Member

A friend from Uni went there in 1985 he never came back 🙂 IMHO Bavaria is a stuning part of Germany in which to live.

Another good mtb mate lived there for a year recently and really liked the life, local-ish biking was more xc-plus but you can weekend in the Alps easily. There where many Germans biking in Lenzerheide when I was there (3hr drive) for example

jimster01

Great surfing in Munich too

[video]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=N-hT7gWUyVk[/video]

Daffy

If I were to relocate to another Airbus site, Munich would be first on my list.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Munich’ is closed to new replies.