Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)
  • Mumford and Sons
  • binners

Step this way SprocketJockey

molgrips
    Free Member

He seems to have the smugness dial turned up to 11

If I’d written down my adolescent angst to samey music and made millions from it, I think 11 is precisely how smug I’d be.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m presuming he said this in a Radio 2 interview, or to wind up Jonny Marr and Paul Weller

He’s not all bad, then.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

but one of Daddies friends heard us play at the golf club one night, and he owns a record company……..

Well.

There is the theory that their success in the American market is largely due to the fact that their old man is the director of Vineyard Churches. Which won them the endorsement of Christian summer camps across the US.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I like them, quite a bit actually.

wrecker
    Free Member

Dirge.

spacemonkey

I couldn’t be jaffed with them at all until literally last week when I sat through most of their catalogue on Spotify. Now I’ve really taken to them. Particularly liked their Indian flavoured mash up with Laura Marling and the Dharohar Project. So there!

zbonty

It’s not been hard for me to avoid them so I’m not riled enough to GAS.

I’m sure their average fan might not appreciate my record collection.

spacemonkey

And as some have said already, their vibe is at least uplifting unlike most of the tosh one has to put up with these days.

Kuco

Liked the first album second was a bit boring.

bwaarp
    Free Member

The borderline ginger garfield lookalike would be punched first.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Wife likes them. I feel like Mr Smith’s earlier contender for post of the week reached in, took the disgust out of my my head and turned it into English. 😆

Particularly liked their Indian flavoured mash up with Laura Marling and the Dharohar Project.

that one is the absolute worstest. 👿

bikebouy
    Free Member

Me likee too.

* ruffles hair, undoes another button on check shirt *

spacemonkey

that one is the absolute worstest

And there was I thinking I’d come round and play it to you 😯

Bunnyhop

Put me out of my misery. Who are the couple at the top of the page?

nicko74

Mumford and Sons

Quiet singing, getting louder, loud bit, banjo. “ding digading digadingdingding”

Every single M&S song.
    Still, they’re making a good living out of being played in Starbucks for American hipsters, so fair play to them I guess, just as long as they don’t do it anywhere near me.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

i don’t mind posh people. But posh people trying to seem ‘ordinary’ or singing like a Irish traveller… that’s extremely irritating.

The music industry is full of too many poshos all pretending to be something they aint, singing about a life they’ve never lived or experienced.

Northwind

nicko74 – Member

Quiet singing, getting louder, loud bit, banjo. “ding digading digadingdingding”

That’s my favourite bit!

Underhill
    Free Member

Bland bandwagon-jumping style muck. Tried to listen to them, just can’t be arsed. Life’s too short.

rattrap
    Free Member

So, are we allowed to like Bellowhead now, or not?

My former boss was getting quite into that Cornish fishermen folk singer group, until I pointed out that they were singing the wrong words to ‘Johnny comes down to Hilo’ and pointed him to the proper version:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/royal-navy-singers/ 😈

CountZero

yeah i dont mind them, i prefer proper folk music though, not this crossover malarkey (not a spiers and bowden/bellowhead fan though, they are too far the other way)

What’s ‘proper folk’ music then? We are, after all, talking about the 21st century, not the 16th…

joat

Just not niche enough for some of the taste nazi ****wits on here it seems. Why don’t you all tell us what we should be listening to. It’s a wonder anybody writes music that a lot of people might like for fear of being lambasted by STWers. 🙄

binners

I’m sure a cursory glance at their bank accounts will ease the lambasting scars somewhat

Atomizer

Probably been linked to before but still funny:

http://thequietus.com/articles/10744-mumford-sons-babel-review-mr-agreeable

labsey
    Free Member

I don’t hate them. That’s as much enthusiasm as I can muster.

What I do hate is when people rave about them, under the impression that Mumford and Sons invented folk.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I’m really worried now. Is it OK to like Ben Howard? Will I slightly singe in the lukewarm depths of MoR hell to admit a liking for the works of Whiskeytown and Ryan Adams? Johnny Cash and the Pogues are still in favour with the STW taste police surely?

bwaarp
    Free Member

As I’ve noted before, I think one of em’s a ginger as well.

Can’t be having this. Where’s the pitchforks and the outrage bus?

Coyote
    Free Member

I like ’em. A lot. 🙂

spchantler
    Free Member

thread of the year, right there. can mr smith have column in the magazine? whenever i go into a record shop i refile all of the bumface and sons cd’s and turn the index card backwards in the obscure deathcore section. if everyone did this the world would be a better place. now how to tackle their internet sales? i hate their drivel.

MrSmith
    Free Member

If I had a column in the magazine it wouldnt last very long due to the core readership feeling alienated.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Don’t you know it’s fashionable to dislike Mumford and Sons? The haters are probably the type of people who think they are the first to ‘find’ new bands

hora
    Free Member

I like Folk. However they are like pre-packaged, processed-stuff for the US. **** off Cornish-****

Btw ^ I find joy in mainly standard Irish folk bands in tiny pubs.

philbert31
    Free Member

You lot really do talk a lot pap sometimes! 🙂

Edit – most of the time! 🙂

Sandwich

IHN have you read any of the stuff on Goop. You had a lucky escape.

Pigface
    Free Member

Funny thread 😆

scotroutes

Yes – it’s the usual STW bedwetters out to try impress everyone at how “different” and “off the wall” they are. Next it’ll be exchanging pictures of their latest body art, as if that somehow makes them look intelligent and arty.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Don’t you know it’s fashionable to dislike Mumford and Sons? The haters are probably the type of people who think they are the first to ‘find’ new bands

I think they’re kidding themselves personally. We are after all a bunch of middle aged blokes who ride push-bikes for fun wearing funny clothes and seek to prove their inherent manliness by picking meaningless fights with similar people they’ve never met on the interweb. There is nowhere in the known galaxy where that’s fashionable. Except possibly France.

binners

Nail on head there sprocketjockey. Anyone on here who would describe themselves as cool is clearly delusional. However…. There’s simply no excuse for Mumford and sons. They’re absolutely bloody awful!

bwaarp
    Free Member

I like ’em. A lot

Damn you to hell! 👿

fasthaggis

Don’t dislike them,but when Mrs H bought the first album I listened to it a couple of times to find out what all the fuss was about.Nothing made me want to put it on for a third time.
    Same as that Mr Hawley,not bad ,just can’t get all the hype.

This is all good though,imagine if we all liked the same sounds 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘Mumford and Sons’ is closed to new replies.