Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Mum passed away, tracing an insurer…?
  • munkster
    Free Member

Am working through the joyless (to quote a friend, and he’s right) task of calling up providers etc for my mum who passed away last week.

One thing I’m struggling with is buildings and contents insurance; cannot find ANYTHING in her paperwork relating to this. Have called up a couple of possibles (including her current account bank) and they can’t trace any policy. There was no mortgage left on the property so there’s no mortgage provider requiring buildings insurance but have to assume she had it; she had insurance for everything else it seems, bless her.

Anyone got any bright ideas regarding whether I can trace these insurers or is it needle in a haystack time followed by me taking out buildings and contents insurance afresh for the time being?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No payments to an insurer traceable?

munkster
    Free Member

No payments to an insurer traceable?

Nope, no monthly DDs on the current a/c and the bank says there’s nothing obvious annually…

hels
    Free Member

Sorry for your loss.

If the payments aren’t coming from her bank account, they will likely find you when the payments stop ?

munkster
    Free Member

they will likely find you when the payments stop

Yeah I guess, just worried that the place isn’t insured in the meantime…

(and thanks, both)

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Try an Experian (or similar) search. You’ll find out who and what had financial links to that property.

Free, too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

She might have forgotton to set up insurance once the mortgage was paid off

munkster
    Free Member

Just called up another bank she was with (that I didn’t think she was using for current a/c stuff like this) and they gave me some info that may well be them so I think so panic may well be over.

Thanks you guys for suggestions, bit frantic here wasn’t thinking straight 🙁

scaredypants

condolences over your Mum

glad you’ve (maybe) sorted this little bit out

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

In same boat here (mum passed away three weeks ago). I know you have the OP sorted but did you know banks and building societies have schemes where you can contact them and they can give you info on any accounts the deceased may have – worth looking down that avenue too to ensure all ends are tied up.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

BTW I think I saw the links on the DirectGov website somewhere.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh and another thing – are you an executor? We did a few bits before finding out that we, nit being named executors, weren’t legally allowed to do this stuff.

munkster
    Free Member

Cheers m_f yep I am an executor – just faffing around with probate and IHT forms at the moment, I seem to have all other stuff in hand – had to keep busy this week so it was a worthwhile (if, as I said, joyless) “diversion”(!)

Sorry to hear of your loss; hope time is healing a little…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It does get less painful but I assume you being an executor means your dad isn’t around either so you too may have been through all this once before.

I keep expecting mum to ring up to see how my kids are doing 😐

munkster
    Free Member

Sadly not no, he passed away in 2007…

Re-looking at another thread of yours looks like we’ve been through similar “stuff” these last few weeks – feel free to drop me an email if you ever have a mind to.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Unfortunately yes – my dad passed away in 2009, 6 months before my wife had our twins so he never got to see them.

Might just do that thanks 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Mum passed away, tracing an insurer…?’ is closed to new replies.