Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Multitool – what do you carry?
  • Xylene
    Free Member

I think the time has come for me to carry a multi tool rather than my collection of individual tools – yes I am that much of a tool.

I don’t want to spend loads, but something decent that will offer me a good selection of bits to fix and repair while out and about.

racefaceec90

i carry a mark 1 topeak alien multi tool.tis worth it’s weight in gold.

gusamc
    Free Member

alien (poss mrk2) and a leatherman copy (pliers, and various blades)

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Got a cheapo leatherman copy and a basic Hanstools multitool, which has an 8mm allen key head for cranks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

depends on your bike tbh – identify what tools you really NEED for your bike

for me its an sks toolbox travel – chain tool is easy to use , tire levers , all allen keys i need and a t5 torq bit !

njee20
    Free Member

Topeak Hexus for me.

donsimon
    Free Member

Another Topeak Alien user here. 😀

avdave2

Hexus here as well.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

lezyne rap 13? and a gerber multi tool

coatesy
    Free Member

Hexus 11, has anything i’m likely to need bar a long arm 8mm key, and a 15mm cone spanner for pedals.

skiboy
    Free Member

leatherman skeletool cx and two ultra slim bundles of bits, the pliers are a must and the blade can fight off a wild polar bear or maybe even a shark…possibly

Junkyard
    Free Member

crank multi tool , some cheapo folding pliers, a proper chain tool , spare mech hanger , some power links for the chain + off cut off chain [ 6 links ] a set of pads and 2 inner tubes. [ folding tyre for long road rides [ more than 30 miles from home]

PaulD
    Free Member

Topeak Hexus and Gerber Vice (pliers and knife) as well as a third tyre lever for some wheel/tyre combos.
    Additional tools and extra tubes/patches/tyreboots and misc. spares for all-day treks well away from the start.
    It does not have to be a mobile workshop, just figure out what can go wrong and what you need to fix it.
    If it runs to much over 1Kg, something is wrong.
    Wear shoes you can walk a couple of miles in!
    2x tubes, patches, Hexus, Vice = approx 650g.

PaulD

Mounty_73

I have a topeak alien which I bought in the states about 10 years ago, a bit heavy and I have found out in the last couple of months it doesnt have the right tools for my stumpy. 🙂

rickmeister

Mech hanger, sram chain links and some chain, tubeless repair kit, sticky patches, tyre boot, crank brothers multitool and a small leatherman for the pliers. Used to carry an alien multitool but never used 80% of it and its a heavy lump.

cookeaa

Crank bros multi tool dunno the name but it covers 90% of trail side issues the cheapo leatherman copy covers the rest.

Kieran

Always have a Gerber with me, but also carry an Alien Mk2 or a Cannondale multitool if I’m on a bike with a lefty.

br
    Free Member

Crank Brothers 10, Park chain-tool, Gerber pliers – all been used at sometime or another

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

topeak alien I have had for years – nothing else required so thats all I carry

nonk
    Free Member

i have a crank 10 but if i was you i would get one of the all singing and dancing lezyn ones.

losmanos
    Free Member

Crank Bros 18
    Leatherman Skeletool
    Zip ties
    2 tubes
    Glueless patches
    Pump
    Shock pump

colournoise

Topeak Alien 2 and a Leatherman Wave.

(alongside tape, zip ties, glueless patches, couple of tubes and a pump)

slainte 🙂 rob

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I spent my customary amount of time researching this as annaly as possible, and decided upon a Crank Bros Multi 10 with a separate Topeak Universal Chain Breaker Tool, plus of course a Spokey, and puncture kit. Never had cause to regret my choice.

alexpalacefan

Just the allen keys you need for your bike, 5mm and what else?

Proper chain-breaker, those on multi tools are a bit cr*p, and a quick-link.

Zip ties.

Duct Tape.

Tube, pump, self adhesive patches.

That should do it really, it will cover 99% of breakages, and if you can’t fix something, it’s either blag some help, or walk:-(

APF

bloodynora
    Free Member

I have a Parktools MTB-3 and also a Victorinox Swisstool which I have to say is a thing of engineering beauty 🙂

ivantate
    Free Member

Just got an alien 2 on megasale from merlin. Also extra chain tool, tube, hanger, pucture repair kit as I have been caught out with with a snakebite that glueless wouldn’t fix and some tyre levers. Sometimes a leatherman and I am looking into getting the rest of the bolts on the bike covered, including brake reservoirs etc…

Northwind

Alien is a little pointless for most people IMO- great if you need to assemble a climbing frame halfway round a ride, but mostly the extra tools aren’t any use on modern bikes.

So I sold mine and got a Hexus, which is fab as long as the chain tool de-riviter doesn’t fall out, as it sometimes does. Otherwise, it’s got all the right tools, they’re well made, it’s sturdy, doesn’t rust, isn’t too heavy, has good ergonomics, and the chain tool is better than most workshop tools The tyre levers on the side do suck a bit though, I just consider them an extra.

Topeak have the best thought out tools IMO. Lezyne the best made. Crank Brothers the prettiest. Shame they can’t get together really.

bigG
    Free Member

Off road – topeak Alien, zip ties, pair of tyre levers, spare power links, tube, tyre patch, pump and some gaffer tape.

On road – lezyne multitool, tyre levers, two tubes, pump, spare power links.

Crank Bros 19 and sometimes a Leatherman Charge tti

Brainflex

still carrying my cooltool.

simondbarnes

Original Topeak Alien bought in the late 90s iirc.

TiRed

I carry one of these to cover most eventualities. I also carry a two Park tyre levers, a chain tool, quick link, zip ties, tubes and patches.

I’ve tried smaller, but I always go back to the Park. I also have one of these SKS micro tools that comes out on the road bike when alone, I like the style but it’s not great for torque!

_tom_
    Free Member

Lezyne rap 6, some tyre levers, a chain tool and a tyre pump.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Multitool – what do you carry?’ is closed to new replies.