Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • multitool or mini-ratchet?
  • sadexpunk

got a decent multitool anyway, but having spent the afternoon surfing away for stuff i dont really need, i saw this prestaratchet.

anyone got one? improvement on a multitool? or as i suspect, something i dont really need.

duncancallum

Just the thing…

Imagine a cold dark hillside with numb fingers and then having the good fortune to drop the Allen bit….

Nah I’m ooot

mattyfez

Depends on your bike, mine only has 2 sizes of Allen key for roadside repairable stuff, and a screwdriver for limit screws, so for me it makes more sense and less weight to just carry 2 allen keys and one small screwdriver, less weight and easier to use than a multi tool.

Anything those three tools can’t take care of is a walk home anyway, not including puncture repair stuff.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sadexpunk

thanks, thats sorted that one out then 🙂

CraigW
    Free Member

I’m wondering what size bits it includes, it doesn’t seem to be mention that.

It could be useful for bolts in tight places, where you don’t have space to turn an allen key.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Very handy in the tool box for a multitude of jobs. I stick with the multitool on rides though.

jimw
    Free Member

Imagine a cold dark hillside with numb fingers and then having the good fortune to drop the Allen bit….

Nah I’m ooot

I have something similar made by Topeak, the ratchet Rocket Lite. I have used it loads of times in the winter and summer, not lost a bit yet.

jam-bo

Ratchet rocket is great. I use it for bike maintenance at home as well as it’s just nice to use.

voodoo_chile

There is a makita mini ratchet and bits on eBay for 11 pound

wrecker
    Free Member

Is a chain tool not a good idea?

jam-bo

Ratchet rocket has a chain tool

CraigW
    Free Member

Most chaintools on multitools are a bit crap.
    I would rather have a separate one, eg Park CT5, it is pretty small anyway.

cheers_drive

I rarely have need for a multitool on road or mtb. The Mt zoom tool will a push on T25 bit does everything I need, is tiny and the is easier to access hard to reach stuff.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.merlincycles.com/topeak-ratchet-rocket-multi-tool-44740.html
    Got the basic one of these, great for a lot of jobs and always goes in my travel bag when I’m flying just for the stem bolts.
    My FS has 3,4,5,6&8mm bolts along with T25 and it’s good to know I can do most of them if needed.

frood
    Free Member

@cheers_drive where did you find a push on t25 bit? Been looking for one but my Google-fu has failed me.

pocpoc
    Free Member

I’ve got a little Bosch mini ratch kit from Amazon, think it was £10 when I got it.
    Great for keeping in my work bag along with a few other work specific tools but a bit heavy as a set for carrying on the bike. Plus no chain tool on it.
    Brilliant for taking apart the inside trim of cars and other tight-for-space type applications though.

cheers_drive

@frood
    It came with a Zipp stem, I need a replacement though as it was lost with the tool and other stuff when a saddlebag fell off

birdage

Had a Ratchet Rocket for a few years. Fantastic. Multi tools always fell apart on me and their allen keys never felt as well fitting as the ratchet allen bits. Bits can be modified according to needs. Plus they’re much better in tight spaces.

user-removed
    Free Member

I bought a Topeak mini ratchet tool about three years ago when it was on offer. Haven’t used it once 🙁 Mostly, admittedly because I just stuff my minimal tool roll into my pocket / bag / camelbak before I set off for a ride.

One of these – http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3338&p=1145715&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Tools%20&%20Maintenance&gclid=CjwKEAjwnebABRCjpvr13dHL8DsSJABB-ILJVOynn9fJCftH0Dru-O7MjAN8kg4LHvHpKNqU9SMT5xoCvLfw_wcB

isitafox
    Free Member

I got a similar thing from Superstar when they were on offer for about £7 a while back, great tool and comes in very handy http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/pocket-ratchet-toolset.htm

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘multitool or mini-ratchet?’ is closed to new replies.