Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • multifuel stoves: less soot if burning at capacity?
  • el_boufador

Hello,
    I know there are a few people on here who are keen on their wood burners so thought I’d post this up…
    We’re investing in a multifuel stove as part of our living room renovations. We went to see a few suppliers today. One of them advised that erring towards a smaller sized stove would be beneficial because running it fully open would mean it would be working more efficiently thus less soot. Does anyone know if there is any truth in this? I’ve searched on google and can’t find any reference.

Thanks!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

My neighbours went too large and they hardly ever use the thing as they can’t turn it down enough to avoid throwing all the windows open even in the depths of winter!

Drac

Yup burning too low the produce more soot, best to get one that’ll be working a bit to give you the desired heat. Then as Rockhopper says there’s the potential it would produce too much heat for comfort.

geoffj

The theory makes sense, but there are a couple of practical implications which need consideration.

1. A small stove going at full pelt will be a ball ache to keep fuelled.
    2. A small stove going full pelt will be losing too much heat up the chimney
    3. A correctly sized stove burning dry wood will be more controllable and nicer to live with.

Whatever you decide, get a thermostat for the flu so you don’t run it too hot or too cold.

el_boufador

Nice one, thanks.

One more question…

The house is a victorian townhouse. No wall insulation or cavity, original sash windows, thick curtains though I may also add some secondary glazing this winter.

Putting the room dimensions into the stoves online calculator http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/calculator.asp

I get

6.1 kW recommended assuming ‘Renovated townhouse without cavity’
    8.3 kW recommended assuming ‘Uninsulated’

If we were to buy a stove around the 8kW mark, but could have actually gotten away with 6kWish, would this present a soot or too much heat problem at all?

cheers

geoffj

If we were to buy a stove around the 8kW mark, but could have actually gotten away with 6kWish, would this present a soot or too much heat problem at all?

It depends a lot on the room layout and options for regulating heat by opening doors etc but I wouldn’t get too hung up on the numbers. Have a look around the 6-8 kw mark and choose something you can live with – just make sure you get a 6″ flue fitted as you’ll then have more choice.

el_boufador

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

soops
    Free Member

The dunsley highlander solo 7 is a cracking stove. Easy to fit, and the riddle grate bars and baffles plates are not overpriced as spares, and are easily available. I have fit lots of dunsleys they are brilliant stove with either wood or solid fuel. I used to run mine on anthracite only and it would stay in 24hrs a day just ticking over.

Yes you should always make the stove work a little to avoid sooting up. Soot is in burnt fuel.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘multifuel stoves: less soot if burning at capacity?’ is closed to new replies.