Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Multifuel stoves
  • slowjo
    Free Member

Is there a market for second hand multifuel stoves? We have a fairly chunky one with a back boiler that I have just disconnected and we need to get rid of it. When it was last used (maybe 10 years ago) it was absolutely fine, the only trouble is that as soon as I light it up my wife and my son have asthma attacks. No fire, no attacks… simples!

I assume they are worth more than scrap value.

It is something called a "Hunter"

rkk01
    Free Member

Sounds more like a problem with the flue / chimney…..?

wwaswas

does sound like you're chimney breast has gone a bit porous or it's not letting the gases escape properly.

promblem with any old fire stuff like this is getting it out in one piece and then moving it to where it's needed – it's often not worth it. It's why all the thirties concrete/tiled fireplaces get smashed up in situ.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Look on Ebay – I am sure the answer will be there. But I am 100% certain there is a market for them – they are very popular.

slowjo
    Free Member

good idea… never thought of evil bay!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Post pictures up – I might be interested….

slowjo
    Free Member

Bushwacked……give me five minutes or so.

slowjo
    Free Member

I seem to have lost my camera! I might be a while……….

footstomper
    Free Member

In the last few years stove prices have gone up, you should have no trouble selling it.

slowjo
    Free Member

Sorry about all the decorative bits……. it wasn't me! 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

We're looking at putting one in our house – will show the wife later when she gets in from work.

jimster
    Free Member

I like the melted candle effect. 😆

thekingisdead
    Free Member

That'll get snaffled up on ebay extremely quickly. Id expect a good price.
    As stated, massive demand for stoves at the moment.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So – when are we gonna have a multifuel stove picturefest? I might take a pic of ours over the weekend 🙂

Drac

Just fitted on in our house the other week it's awesome, if light well and ventilated will there is no fumes at all so sounds like others have said a flu problem.

Bunnyhop

Our neighbour bought a second hand one last year and fitted it.
    There is definitely a market for them. I think you'll get a good price.

We were looking at new ones a lot smaller than yours at around £700.

m_f- post up your pictures, then I can get some ideas for hearths and surrounds.

Drac

We were looking at new ones a lot smaller than yours at around £700.

New ones are ridiculous efficient though, our whole house is heated comfortably when it's on minimum setting. 3 bedroom pre-war semi.

geoffj

Where are you – may be interested. Its the transport for these that can make them not worth while ebaying.

Bunnyhop

I agree Drac. This is one of the reasons. we want one.

Neighbour came home last week with his work truck filled with logs, then proceeded to get the chain saw out for an hour (we're all deaf now).
    He mentioned that it would all be going in the fire. I explained that the wood needs to season for a year and dry out. It'll be fine says he.

Didn't want to poke me nose in again in case he thinks I'm a know it all. I'm guessing it's nt going to light easily.

Drac

It can go on but he'll need to sweep his chimney more often and not get maximum efficiency as a lot of heat will be wasted drying out the green wood.

Off to get some more tomorrow we cleared about 5 tractor trailer full so far of green wood and dry wood. It's between 3 house holds but that's still shit loads and had to clear my shed to star stacking more.

Flaperon

Don't think there's any market. We bought a ginormous dual-fuel one for £120 last week, takes 4 people to lift it and even then it's a struggle.

As a few other people have said, it's worth spending the extra on a new, efficient version. Old one meant needed two baskets of logs per night and wasn't that warm, the new one uses 1/4 that and can turn the room into a furnace.

hitman
    Free Member

Drac
    which multi-fuel stove have you got and where did you buy it from?
    I'm interested in getting one
    cheers

Drac
    Del

we've got one of these:
    stovax
    in our mid 80's house. ours has a black slate surround and hearth. it's 100% of ace.

hitman
    Free Member

Drac
    do you run the central heating off this?
    also how many logs in the winter for an evening??
    do you find it cheap to run??

Drac

Central heating, nah it's not needed the stove heats the whole of the house with ease.

Not really sure as I've only had it a few weeks but use no more than half a dozen an evening to heat the house and it's still warm in the morning.

Cheap to run for us as have a free log supply but even then would still be cheap.

hitman
    Free Member

cheers drac

Drac

No worries they are great things once your use to getting them going, they need a good bed of embers or they just smoulder away.

konajim
    Free Member

They are Briliant
    But no point in buying unless you know what size you neeed .and what you are running boiler etc ,type of chimny ..no point putting it into an old flue . A liner is needed and the cost will soon mount .

Speak to the Guru of Woodburners ..He will answer all your questions and
    do a free computer check to see what size of stove you need .He is genuine and not someone who is out to just sell a product .My mate who is a builder was getting one and I also thought about it . He agrees that if we had not spoke to him w would have done everything wrong To big stove no liner etc etc . It cost alot more than i budgeted for but will pay for itself eventualy.
    it takes a while to get used to but once you are up and running its better than an open fire ,Less Dust clean once every couple of weeks and easy to light if you dont want to keep it in at night ( which is easy )
    As I said speak to this man he will keep you right .
    (this in not a plug )

home

Drac

Ours went straight into the old flu there was need at all for a liner as the chimney was fine. Size was easy it kicks out 5kw and fits in the space nicely with all the safe distances covered, 5kw easily heats the house when not on full, it's toasty all around the house tonight and hot in this room, freezing outside as lovely clear night. Of course if your looking at heating water too then you'd need to equate for that but they hugely efficient so that shouldn't be a problem for them.

The builder who fitted ours checked the flu for us not a bloke in the shop we tried a shop for advice at first and the stuff he wanted to sell us that he told was necessary was unreal, we only went in for a price on the fires though so didn't have to listen to his bull for long especially when the price came in at more than twice what we had been quoted by the builder. Fires online will give you good advice on what stove is good for you and not try to sell you anything not needed. Luckily for me my parents have had 4 fitted in total now in 3 different houses so gave me advice on which one to go for.

Mugboo

We are fitting one soon Stovax £600 (british too)

We sold our replica victorian coal fire on Ebay inc surround, delivered locally £190.00

Everything has a value..

woffle
    Free Member

We've got two and I'd thoroughly recommend them. It'd be well worth getting a HETAS approved fitter round to have a look if you're planning on driving the heating / hot water from them as the should be able to do all the calcs for you. With fumes / risk of fires etc it's up to you whether you feel qualified to make decisions about the state of your chimneys (but a decent sweep would be able to tell you) and whether you are confident in fitting yourself. Our flues go up through bedrooms so we decided to get our chimneys lined which added to the costs, as mentioned ^^ it can add significant amounts though my brother did his own lining with the help of the local sweep and saved a packet. Both our stoves were fitted and supplied by a HETAS registered company.

We've a small Stovax in the living room – keeps the room and the girls bedroom above it toasty warm (it's a two bed semi built in the 1800's and the insulation between floors isn't very good). For stove, hearth, chimney lining and making good the surround it came to about £900.

Then, in our kitchen/diner we have a large Aaarow Stratford (I think that's the model). This has a back boiler and does the hot water and central heating via a gravity fed system and a Grunfos (sp?) pump on a thermostatic swtich – we've a total of 5 radiators though I cant remember the exact output of them or the stove. Can't remember the exact cost but when we moved in we had to put in the whole central heating – new tank, rads, pump etc = the whole system as well as the stove.

The Aarrow burns a combination of Furnicite and wood with Ash and well seasoned Oak being the best in our experience. We can go from cold to hot water in the radiators in about 40-45 minutes using a mixture with layering kindling, coal and then wood. If you bank the stove up overnight it'll still be going in the morning. In the coldest part of last winter it was on 24/7 and we were getting through probably a bag of fuel a week (£11 a bag) with wood on top of that (we're currently burning trees chopped down when we moved in so free heat!). It looks like:

You'll have to excuse the ash we burnt a load of old paperwork last night and I haven't cleared the paper ash up yet. It's usually pretty clean with a simple ash tray but when you're burning paper it all swirls out when you open the door 🙁

Best thing we did on the house IMO. If you want some recommendations for fitters and suppliers in Sussex / Kent let me know or any more details about any of the above – my email's in my profile.

Oh and Hunter stoves are well regarding AFAIK and if you can find anyone local who can come and collect you should be good for a decent price – i think the large double doored Hunters are over £1K new to give you some indication of the price of the thing new.

tankslapper
    Free Member

That's exactly the sort of Hunter I used to have and boy have things moved on. We now have a Stovax which I can't rate highly enough. My wife also suffers with asthma but absolutely no problems here.

What to do about the old stove? fleabay it mate!

As for comments above – I decided not to have a back boiler and link to the gas central heating. In my experience it never seems to be much of a job and there's too much faff with a condensing boiler anyway – needs separate tank etc etc.

When we fitted ours we also fitted the proper chimney liner – so I support comments about porous flu etc. Might be worth a second look and some professional advice

all the best

woffle
    Free Member

for what it's worth we have no mains gas – the stove does ALL the central heating (we have an immersion heater to do hot water in the summer)…

hitman
    Free Member

I'm curious about where people store their wood – risk of fire in close proximity to the house? Also how much do you hold at any one time? Where do you source it from?

Drac

I'm curious about where people store their wood – risk of fire in close proximity to the house?

In the back yard in a store I made, the shed and probably have to be the garage soon. Low risk of fire as I don't have anything near it to start one.

Also how much do you hold at any one time? Where do you source it from?

Currently Have about a tonne of wood and more on it's way, we have a contact on a farm who lets us cut up fallen branches and trees as they're a nuisance to him. They've recently felled a small wood for replanting on the same farm, went across and asked the lads who were doing that if we could clear up after them any wood they didn't need. They send no problem as it was just going to be piled on site and burnt, which they were doing most days. There's so much we can't possible get it all in time so have taken out as much hard wood as we can and piled for transporting to the 3 houses, there's absolutely loads of it unbelievable what they throw away as waste.

woffle
    Free Member

we're in the weald so sourcing wood isn't a problem – lots of local woods selling well seasoned logs for about £50 a load or if you're lucky, friends giving it away. Our wood and coal is stored in a wood/coal shed about 2 metres from the house – it would hold a couple of tonnes of wood and 12+ bags of coal with room to spare…

as to fire risk – no more than an oil tank which would be our alternative (or lpg bottles)…

hitman
    Free Member

cheers woffle

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

risk of fire in close proximity to the house?

Logs are hardly a fire risk unless someone sets them alight and if someone would do that, pretty much anything near your house is an equal/more fire risk.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Multifuel stoves’ is closed to new replies.