Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Multi Vitamins/mineral tablets
  • malchales
    Free Member

Hi all,i thought i`de tap into your collective wisdom.i require a multi vit/min tab suppliment. i train for xc and use protien powders already. thanks

coffeeking
    Free Member

Can't you get the vits/mins from the food you eat like everyone else? 😆

DrP

Is the answer 17?

DrP

MrNutt
    Free Member

expensive piss?

GrahamS

i require a multi vit/min tab suppliment.

Has someone with qualifications actually told you that you need a supplement?

Are you low in a particular vitamin for some reason?

IanMunro
    Free Member

dr_death
    Free Member

What they said….. if you are training hard you'll be eating more food ergo getting more vitamins.

malchales
    Free Member

I`ll be drinking more guiness from now on. And i am training hard but was just wondering,thats all….

Midnighthour
    Free Member

If you go down the multivits route, keep aware of how you feel. I have taken multivits (one a day) on 3 different occasions and each time I had to stop after 2 or 3 weeks as I started feeling 'not right' and then ill. I know another person who found this too. I will never take them again unless told to by a medic. I presume I was overdosing on something in them or allergic, though I used different brands to try this out and it made no difference.

pcb
    Free Member

Well if you do buy some ZipVit are very good.

MoreCashThanDash

Assuming your diet is fairly on the ball anyway, maybe just the cheap Aldi specials if you really think you need the extra?

matt-lewis
    Free Member

I've bought some of those vit C and Zinc. Prevention better than a cure and all that. Can you have too much vitamin C and zinc?

sc-xc

1. Always take Multivitamins
    2. Always wear a helmet
    3. It's not the retailers responsibility if something breaks

stevious

There's no evidence to show that taking multivitamins has ANY long term health benefits for 'healthy' people. There's been some pretty intensive studies too.

The only people who ever really benefit from dietary supplements are anaemic people and pregnant women.

jonb
    Free Member

Especially as some multivitamins contain vitamins in forms that are not readily absorbed by the body.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Barry Bethel – Member

1. Always take Multivitamins
    2. Always wear a helmet
    3. It's not the retailers responsibility if something breaks

8)

walla24
    Free Member

yes you can take too much zinc…but i think you need quite a lot
    have a looky on the WHO's (not the band's) website for quideline/max amounts to consume of things.
    remember if you are getting 100% from a tablet, any extra in your diet puts you over….saying that i take a morrisons own brand multivit every other day just to keep levels up while im at uni. Tescos own brand are also quite good, include obscure (yet massively! important) things like selenium which many brands dont.

cod liver oil most days too omega 3 for the heart

zinc i take when im injured for skin recovery

oooo and echinacea if you get a cold…beasly good stuff

brakeswithface

stevious – got any sources for this?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

brakeswithface

You will find plenty. Thats the accepted medical position.

skidartist
    Free Member

Prevention better than a cure and all that.

The health benefits from vit c and zinc in relation to coughs and colds tend to be quite heavily overstated. Its measureable across a population but not in a way you'll actually be able to perceive yourself. It won't stop you getting a cold, the duration of the cold might be shorter, but only as an average across all the colds you and other people get, and not by much.

I prefer to keep vitamin deficiencies at bay by living in the early 21st century. If I wanted to meet people with scurvy or beri beri I'd need a loan of someone time machine

brakeswithface

TJ – I can't be arsed with digging through pub med to find out if someone else's boldly stated position is right or not, it's their responsibility to defend it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

brakeswithface – no need to defend it. Its common knowledge. It is the accepted position in the medical profession and has been for decades.

Its for those who think multivitamins are required to find a reason

brakeswithface

Well, having had a quick dig through google scholar I'd say it's far from the accepted position seeing as it's still being heavily debated.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'd say it's far from the accepted position seeing as it's still being heavily debated.

… by people who want to sell you unnecessary guff 🙁

hilldodger
    Free Member

…..It is the accepted position in the medical profession and has been for decades…..

As were many things which are now discredited 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

I have a pretty good diet but I am convinced multi vits aid your immune system… I can't remember the make but I take, but theyre flippin huge things I got from my local health food shop, they make my pee smell and its really green, I just see this as an amusing side effect.

They are considerably stronger than the likes of Berroca etc, in the region of 700% of RDA for most things, pretty sure I could fill myself up on cardboard and remain quite healthy with them. 🙂

Shak47

Best taking vits in a capsule form rather than a slab of tablet if you do choose to go down that route, helps prevent stomach upsets.
    Viridian Sports Multi is what I take, as insurance, due to the fact I am a veggie.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The statement that brings it home to me is:

(On vitamin adverts)…

'MAY be of benefit to children, pregnant women and the elderly'.

Which pretty well much says that if you are an adult you will get the vitamins you need from the food you eat and it is only possible, with no medical/research proof, that they may benefit others.

woffle
    Free Member

We have a dietician / nutritionist at work (not sure what the correct term is, he's the one that's actually got qualifications rather than the Ms McKeith strand). He gives advice to a number of international sports teams (UK and otherwise) as well as individual athletes.

I trust his advice and take a selection of multivits based on that (I'd describe him as a fan of supplements but under advice / targeted rather than general if that makes any sense)…

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

My multi vits cost £7 for a months supply. Im not gonna cry if its proven that they have no benefits whatsoever, but in this day and age of processed food and transported goods etc they just seem like a supplementary insurance that I am indeed getting all the required vitamins and minerals needed for this 21st century lifestyle.

Spamf
    Free Member

I tried multivitamins but gave up. You would not believe how many I had to eat before I felt even a little bit full!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I don't get the insurance thing, I ensure I'm getting the vits I need by eating a balanced diet cooked from raw materials. I'm not apparently suffering from some big loss of anything and I function fine. I find when I'm ill I tend towards different foods. I presume this is my body showign me what I need, but other than that I can't see the point in them. But if it floats your boat, fine, enjoy!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I have a pretty good diet but I am convinced multi vits aid your immune system… I can't remember the make but I take, but theyre flippin huge things I got from my local health food shop, they make my pee smell and its really green, I just see this as an amusing side effect.

They are considerably stronger than the likes of Berroca etc, in the region of 700% of RDA for most things, pretty sure I could fill myself up on cardboard and remain quite healthy with them. <

Scary…

Balanced diet / everything in moderation. It really is as simple as that imo.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

As were many things which are now discredited

but the assertion that eating food supplies our bodily needs seems reasonably well established

hilldodger
    Free Member

the assertion that eating food supplies our bodily needs seems reasonably well established

strangely enough, no it isn't !!
    The nutritional content of foods Vs RDA for those nutrients is an area of much debate.
    Areas of doubt include:
    regional/temporal variations in source
    changes from harvest to point of use due to preservation/storage
    method of cooking/preparation
    proportion of available nutrients actually absorbed
    methods of analysis used on food

Add in all the 'human factors' associated with the individual eating the food and the picture is far from clear !
    Beware the 'catch-all' answers from the men in white coats, sometimes you need to rely on your own experience even if it is only 'anecdotal' eveidence in the eyes of some 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

strangely enough, no it isn't !!

and yet it's mostly the people who can't get enough food that die early ?

hilldodger
    Free Member

and yet it's mostly the people who can't get enough food that die early

The fact they're usually the people with limited access to clean water, good hygiene and basic medical care may also be involved……..

…bottom line, no-one can say with any certainty at all that they 'know what they are eating' unless they are on a chemically defined diet (aka lab rat food) – the food you eat may be contaminated, wrongly described, poorly produced, inappropriately stored and badly prepared/cooked not to mention downright McCr@p 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

No, but on average one can get everything one needs from ones (good quality) food. Otherwise one dies or develops unpleasant diseases.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I get all the minerals i need from the mud which i swallow.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Otherwise one dies or develops unpleasant diseases.

Or just suffers chronic low-level illness !
    Poor quality food doesn't have to be fatal or acutely damaging, it can just mean you are always 'a bit tired', 'not feeling great' or 'have a touch of man-flu' 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Multi Vitamins/mineral tablets’ is closed to new replies.