Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Multi Tools
  • DrDomRob
    Free Member

What's the preference – As many tools as possible or as little as you can get away with?

I need one, but don't know whether to go all out and buy a garage on an hinge or a wafer thin XC light minimum tool item… I just don't know!

pealy
    Free Member

Do you ride more alone or in a group? I never seem to end up taking mine out as someone else always has one already.. If you ride in a group then you could probably err on the side of lightweight.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i take a CB19 – i often ride with my dad (& -in-law) and they don't take anything, i'm the team mechanic 😆

Cougar

I bought a Topeak Alien II on an impulse buy. I didn't think I needed it, but it's saved me from a long walk a number of times now, I never leave home on the bike without it.

It's also helpful from a good samaritan perspective – it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to be equipped to help someone else out if needed.

Cougar

Oh, I've also got a couple of loose Allen keys in the tool pouch – take up no room and they've proved massively at times when clearance would have been an issue with a multitool.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I mostly ride in a small group or on my own, off-road/trail-way commute to work of about 15 miles. I've had no problems thus far but I am waiting the day where I have a double flat or my cranks fall off about half way!!!

I used to carry allen keys around with me, but they seem to have diminished whilst using them for other jobs around the house, and now I only have a couple of not very useful ones left…

There are so many to choose from as well, my LBS has Giant and Topeak aliens for sale, the topeak looks more capable but is over twice the price, but I think the Giant's will either snap or reach their limitations very quickly.

allthegearandnoidea
    Free Member

+1 for crank bros 19

Cougar

That Crank Bros tool looks nice, but man they have the world's most annoying web site.

toys19
    Free Member

Don't use multi tool, have a small toolbag with good quality everything I need in it.

gcaster
    Free Member

+1 for the Topeak Alien 2.
    Has everything you could need whilst out on the road/trail. When I'm out on the roadie I'm usually alone and on the mtb I'm usually the one that gets lumped with all the repair work.
    I got mine really cheap from eBay about a year ago.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Lezyne 19 does the job(s) for me. Very nicely made.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yeah, second the Topeak Alien. I like the way it sensibly separates the allen keys from the spanners. Buying one this w/e.

nosedive
    Free Member

after a few years of getting annoyed with crappy chain tools I figured I would get a standalone chain tool + a very minimal multi-tool (lezyne do some good small ones). weighs in at the same amount as an alien but you actually have a chain tool that works.

cue dissent from Alien users….

nedrapier

mini Park chain tool + Crank tools Multi 5

Although I bought the multi 5 to replace my girlfriend's Spec. one that I lost, I've just bought the Multi 10 for myself. There's a couple of allen keys on there that are useful for the spring tensionsers on the rear V-brake. and there's a cross head screw driver on there too. Could do without the 8mm key though.

epicyclo

Take a good look over your bike and you'll find that you can get by with very little. I've just been through the exercise and found it just needs 3 sizes of Allen keys. I'd sooner use full size Allen keys than the stunted things on a multi-tool.

I don't have chain problems – single speed – so I can't comment on the need for a chain tool.

BTW some of those new multitools are irresistible. I have several 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Multi Tools’ is closed to new replies.