Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Multi Tool With Cutters?
  • philwarren11
    Free Member

Anyone use something like a leatherman or similar type multi tool with a cutters of some sort on? Is there something available that has a cutter but with multi tool type attachments, hex heads etc..

The past three times ive been out lately i could have done with something better than my teeth.

Thanks.

RustyMac

I generally have a leatherman and a topeak hexus in my pack when out and about. Haven’t been bothered to look and see if there is anything combined, nither were particularly expensive and weight of two items rather than 1 is not a concern for me.

TooTall
    Free Member

What do you want to cut? Multi tools will usually have pliers with a wire-cutting notch as well as a cutting edge and some have small scissors.

br
    Free Member

Leatherman for me, has pretty much everything on it – mine is a ‘plier’ version.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Plastic spoke protector behind the cassette and two shifter cables so far.

Only multi tool i got is a basic topeak mini 18+. No cutters or cutting edge present.

zilog6128

I went for a Leatherman Freestyle, which is one of the lightest. Knife, pliers and wirecutters which should see you out of most jams. Paired with a regular multi tool of course.

JoeG
    Free Member

I’ve never seen any sort of multi-tool wit a cable cutter. Most wire cutters are for cutting soft (copper) electrical wire or annealed tie wire. Cutting a stainless shift/brake cable cleanly is a much tougher task.

Northwind

You can cut a gear cable very easily with swiss army knife scissors, but it’ll be a horrible cut- you’re basically fraying it not cutting it. Not really understanding why it’d ever be useful to do so though. (I did it once on a dropper post after breaking the lever in a crash, but with gear cables you can just undo the retaining bolt and release the cable surely?)

grahamt1980

Anyone tried this one?
    Its the gerber strata, says it has tungsten carbide cutters, and having tried my leatherman to cut a gear cable on the trail I want something that actually works.

JoeG
    Free Member

The carbide cutters are still flat; they would mash the cable as they cut it. Dedicated cable cutters (whether bike specific, electrical, or whatever) have curved blades to cut more cleanly.

grahamt1980

Fair enough. Ta.
    Haven’t had the chance to get a look at them in the flesh so didn’t want to pay out to get similar to what I have already got

Drac

If you cutters are poop at cutting then heat the cable up first with a flame from a lighter for about 20 seconds or so. It’ll cut them clean and neat.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Leatherman Wave, I found the pliers/wire-cutters to be pretty good.
    I also carry a BBB multi tool with a chain splitter. I reckon a single tool with al lthat on it would be a tad bulky in use…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Multi Tool With Cutters?’ is closed to new replies.