Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Multi tool with chain breaker for 1×11
  • lotto
    Free Member

Time to replace my Topeak Hexus 2. It was lost at the weekend so no chance to trial run it on 11 speed. Looking at the specs of a lot of the mutitools they say they are for 9/10 speed chains? Have I been riding around with a breaker unsuitable for 11 speed (chain width perhaps?) or when the tools were initially manufactured 11 speed was unavailable and the spec sheets were never updated? So what multi tool with chain breaker for 11 speed if indeed required?

andyl
    Free Member

Topeak 18+ is a nice little one that works with 11 speed.

You will need some tyre levers though as just has a single metal one and I only use plastic (Park for me)

lotto
    Free Member

Looking at the Topeak ones which I just fancied again on the CRC website the Q+A for the 18,20 And Hexus, people have asked for 11 speed compatibility and the CRC staff have answered no to all of them? Have you physically tried the 18 on an 11 speed. If so and it works I’ll go with that. Seems a good tool.

km79
    Free Member

I’ve used my Hexus 2 to shorten a few 11 speed chains which were then rejoined with a quick link. Never noticed any issues.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

If you’re just popping links out then surely all chaintools will still work.

lotto
    Free Member

Not sure what the difference is but a lot say not 11 speed suitable. Like the look of the Blackburn Wayside.

bruneep

my ancient alien multi tool works fine with 11spd, more marketing guff?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I thought 11 MTB speed was the same as 10 speed as the 11th cog just hung over the hubshell more?
    11 speed for road is different so i’ve no idea.

avdave2

As above Hexus works on 11 speed

andyl
    Free Member

pretty sure the Topeak site states the 18 is 11 speed speed compatible. Not tried myself except for a normal aldi tool kit chain breaker which worked perfect (rejoined with a quick link). If you need a new one anyway then and already have tyre levers then the 18 is nice and comes in a little pouch so less chance of it scratching stuff in your bag.

rOcKeTdOg

speed link, no breaker needed then

andyl
    Free Member

surely the whole point of a chain breaker on a multi tool is so if you damage a chain on the trail you can remove the damaged bit and splice it back together with whatever method you prefer – some used a pin and link, others (as i do) carry a spare quick link. Just got to remember your chain might be a bit shorter depending on how it is damaged and how much you remove.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Used my good old crank brothers multi tool on my 11sp last time worked fine though now worried about explosions

surfingobo
    Free Member

Not sure about MTB but on shimano road the 11 speed pins can’t be reused, you have to use a new one with a tab that you break off after inserting it. After about an hour of trying to get an old pin back in I can confirm they aren’t reusable! I always managed to reuse 9 speed pins.

njee20
    Free Member

Topeak Hexus – used mine on road and MTB 11 speed chains.

dovebiker

Breaking/driving the pin out on modern chains makes re-joining inadvisable as it enlarges the hole in the side plate – I carry a short length of chain and a couple of links for 100% reliability. Any chain tool does the job – Lezyne SV10 or 11 would be my choice.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Multi tool with chain breaker for 1×11’ is closed to new replies.