Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Multi sport watches
  • MarkyG82

I’ve been looking at watches to use for using in place of a cycle computer and tracking GPS for stuff like running. Trouble is they all seem to cost a bomb.
    That got me looking at smart watches. the pebble time looks like a good option with a couple of strava type apps. Anyone use one or another watch?

Cheers

andytherocketeer

Polar M400 (without heart rate thingy, but is also available with).

Not expensive at all. Does practically any sport you can think of, can configure screens for all your favourite ones, auto export to Strava,…

Not massive either.

lbjones
    Free Member

I’ve fairly recently got one of these, not hideously expensive and is great for cycling and running, does heart rate with no chest strap which is really what I was after.

http://www.fitnessdigital.co.uk/tomtom-multisport-cardio-black-red/p/10005400/?ct=108&gclid=CMmMyPXVls0CFcYcGwodb8YIoA

Had it for a few months and it performs really well, only complaint is that it doesn’t track distance whilst swimming in open water, if your not worried about that though it’s hard to fault.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a forerunner 230 thinking it might be better than my phone for strava, but the drawbacks are it isn’t that visible as it is on your wrist, and the start/stop is on the top right and easily knocked by your cycling glove unless you have it higher up your arm, or if you brush something or have a fall. If you lock the screen then you can’t see the data screens anymore.

Therefore I have just bought a garmin for the bars as well and the forerunner is just going to do running duties.

superfli
    Free Member

Turnerguy, why didn’t you just buy the bar mount for your forerunner?

paul123
    Free Member

I have a Tomtom multisport. Tbh, the more i use it the less impressed I am with it. If you’re looking to use something as a semi serious training aid for multi sport use then you’ll get frustrated with it. I bought it for the fact you can play music through it and for this it’s great.

The downsides are the fact there’s a significant lag is responding to HR and speed and it doesn’t work for open water swimming

larkim
    Free Member

I use my Vivoactive with one of these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/sv-300-handlebar-watch-holder-cycle-computer-accessory-id_3341513.html to mount it on the bars. Perfectly visible, even displays SMS text messages while I’m riding if I have my phone with me in a pocket too.

There is also an app availabe for route following (not brilliant, but if you’re likely to get lost on a planned route, it keeps you on the straight and narrow).

The old model (the one I have) is about £160 at the moment, but likely to be coming down. I got mine for a steal at £99 on a black friday deal last year, love it for running and cycling. Not used it for swimming at all.

When paired with your phone (and if your phone is with you) you can also use it to let someone follow your route on their computer, again helpful if SWMBO wants to know where you are!

Simon

I’ve got a TomTom Multisport watch, the older one with a chest strap hrm.
    Has a wrist strap and rubber mount for handlebars.
    Will upload runs ,rides and swims to Strava app on my phone via Bluetooth.
    I like it a lot.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I use a Pebble Time everyday. I only use the Bike+ app when mountain biking as I don’t like having my Garmin on the bars as when I crash it usually flys off. I run Strava and the Bike+ app on my phone and my Pebble shows current speed and total distance whilst riding.

The Pebble is great for many things, mostly when commuting I can see who’s calling (and reject the call) without digging in my bag, I can read texts and reply by voice if its important.

It has an accurate pedometer, that I didn’t think I would use but I was surprises how little I walked when I ride to work so now I get up and walk far more. The sleep thing is very interesting also, I used to go to bed early when I thought i was tired, but found out I mainly didn’t get a good nights deep sleep if I did this. Now if I go to bed later I notice I get more deep sleep and feel fresher in the mornings.

Worth noting that the ability to reply to texts won’t work on iPhone unless you are on certain providers in the US.

I got the origonal Time second-hand for about 70GBP I don’t know if I want the Time2 for the better screen, heart rate monitor and better battery, as my watch does everything I want. Plus I can get funky Millennium Falcon watch-faces 🙂

jam-bo

TurnerGuy – Member
    I’ve just bought a forerunner 230 thinking it might be better than my phone for strava, but the drawbacks are it isn’t that visible as it is on your wrist, and the start/stop is on the top right and easily knocked by your cycling glove unless you have it higher up your arm, or if you brush something or have a fall. If you lock the screen then you can’t see the data screens anymore.

Wear it on your other wrist…

fatmax

I’m about to buy a Garmin Vivoactive HR. Mate has one and he raves about it. Whatever you buy, check out the reviews on DC Rainmaker.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Wear it on your other wrist…

bought a garmin 1000 now as I wanted the route display and wanted to see if it was a satisfactory replacement for my satmap for most rides.

cchris2lou

Just bought a Garmin 910 xt on ebay for £100.
    Not tried it yet but my bil has got one and very happy with it

woffle
    Free Member

I had a 910XT and upgraded to the 920XT. It’s a worthwhile improvement – better battery life, bluetooth notifications, fast GPS pickup etc etc. Keep an eye out on Amazon warehouse – mine was ‘open-box’ new, with HRM for approx £170…

BadlyWiredDog

Another Tom Tom Multisports fan here. It’s easy to use, properly neat on the wrist and not insanely expensive. You can set it to upload automatically to Strava.

Every time I use a Garmin I’m struck by just how awful the user interface is – they have a special talent for making even the most basic operation needlessly complicated. Things like resetting the trip computer tend to involve pointless multiple button presses to access arcane additional menus.

I know you get used to it with regular use, but you shouldn’t really have to. Can’t fault the hardware though.

BillOddie

Another vote for TomTom Multisport. Good bit of kit for the money.

tom85_4
    Free Member

Upgraded from a 910xt to a fenix 3 last week, great bit of kit.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Multi sport watches’ is closed to new replies.