Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Multi-Sport Helmets?
  • AndyDuke
    Free Member

Whats the verdict? any good? anyone have one?

I’m going snowboarding next month, as I’m lacking in the skills department I want to invest in a helmet. I’ve noticed a few of these ‘multi-sport’ helmets that claim to be suitable for snow and mtb. I’ve always liked the idea of getting a pi$$ pot style lid for my next bike helmet, so wondered if I could get two birds with one stone.

So far I’ve seen the POC Receptor + which I really like the look of LINK, but its hellishly expensive.

I’ve also seen Burton’s Red Trace LINK, which is a much more palatable price however I can’t help but feel that wearing this on a bike would simply look like your wearing a ski/boarding helmet, if you get what I mean.

Any body got any thoughts or experiences? Anything else I should be looking at?

Also, next (stupid) question; goggles, is it possible to get 1 pair of goggles suitable for boarding and DH/Enduro use?

themoodster
    Free Member

Having landed on my head more times than I probably should have I’d say no lid is too expensive if it’s going to do a the job

jam-bo

Also, next (stupid) question; goggles, is it possible to get 1 pair of goggles suitable for boarding and DH/Enduro use?

yes. i’ve got O-frames. dual lenses in for snow, single for dirt

matt_outandabout

Petzl Meteor may work..
    http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/mountaineering-and-climbing-helmets/meteor-iii
    Very comfortable.
    They do seem very light however, and they would not sustain multiple hits (say a tumbling fall when ski-ing or multiple rock fall climbing etc). I still am a fan of proper helmets for each job – I have Uvex for biking, a Camp for climbing and a Protec for paddling.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

[Cheeky Sod]

I’m selling a load of snowboarding kit including 2 x Burton RED helmets and some Anon and Electric goggles. I’m sticking photos etc up tomorrow but if your interested drop me a line.

[\Cheeky Sod]

glupton1976
    Free Member

Whichever helmet “Sweet” make that you like most. More expensive than POC though.

chrssmale
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’m convinced from my experience. For the Alps I have last years giro G10 mx, also ride with a 661 recon and a Urge Downomatic.
    The biggest issue I see is venting/padding.
    I think MTB helmets have much better venting, whilst my giro has much better insulation. I use my giro for commuting with goggles in the winter, very snug and warm. But far too hot for me when out and about having fun on the bike. Yes you could remove some of the pads, but then you’d lose the fit.
    jam bo has it spot on for goggles, get the right frames with replaceable lenses. Decent lenses for the snow, and more disposable ones for the bike.
    Also think of the different position of the head too. ie on a bike you are looking up more than on a snowboard. I find my giro covers the lower part of the back of my head more, and can interfere with the wrong bag on the bike.
    If I was looking for one to rule them all, I’d be thinking of a more MTB orientated one with blockable vents I think.

trevron73
    Free Member

I used a kitesurf helmet when the wife first got a MTB,i sweated like a pig and halfway round the trail center told her she looked unsafe with the bike helmet so i swopped and let her take the pain ,i told her that as she has a moonface she would be better with near full face water helmet -SHHHH she still thinks im right!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Multi-Sport Helmets?’ is closed to new replies.