Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Multi room wireless music system
  • rugbydick

Just got a new flat and I’m looking to pimp it out with a music system.

Basically looking for a wireless music system (all my music is on my Mac and iPhone, so Airplay would be great) so that I can have speakers in the kitchen and the bathroom (next door to each other, so the speakers themselves can be hardwired) all playing the same music.

What are my options?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Airport express and plug what you like into it or something like a B&W A5 or Bose Soundlink Air. There’s probably cheaper options but if you want something nice that works, that’s what I’d go for.
    I’ve got one Airport express under the TV which is my router and streams music to my 2.1 system and I’m going to add one of the above for the kitchen/diner where I currently just use the speakers on my iMac
    I can control it all from whatever device I have in front of me, and it all works well

Deaky
    Free Member

Sonos.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Sonos is awesome kit.

KidCragg
    Free Member

Sonos FTW.

fanatic278
    Free Member

Airport express (£70) plugged into the back of an amp. Hardwire the speakers from the amp. Works perfectly well for me. Much cheaper than any other alternative that will be suggested. If you care about music quality then You can get a fancy amp and fancy speakers. Or if you’re like me then a second hand amp and £60 speakers from Richer Sounds will do.

daleman
    Free Member

Sonos simple

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Having listened to Sonos, B&W and Bose stuff, I’d put Sonos in third place, sonically, with B&W easily top.
    A B&W A5 is £400 though….. Although you can get them for £300.

Cletus
    Free Member

The new Pure Jongo wireless stuff might be worth a look.

http://www.pure.com/wireless/

ask1974
    Free Member

Having listened to Sonos, BandW and Bose stuff, I’d put Sonos in third place, sonically, with BandW easily top.
    A BandW A5 is £400 though….. Although you can get them for £300.

Peter you’re referring to integrated, single speaker comparisons and the OP is referring to conventional speaker/amp combinations…

so the speakers themselves can be hardwired

… In this regard Sonos is quite simply the only multi-room system mentioned so far. The Connect Amp, or Connect plus separate power amp with a decent set of speakers is in a completely different league. Airplay, via Airport Express, using third party amps will work in a similar fashion but lacks several features and it’s nothing like as good as Sonos. Just cheaper.

You are right though, BandW Airplay speakers are superior to Sonos integrated speakers such as the Play:5 / Play:3 / Play:1 but should only ever be considered in single room solutions. Multi-room? Sonos every time.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Do you want to play different music in different rooms simultaneously or just have wireless music/speakers in different rooms?
    Sonos for the former and a bunch of bluetooth speakers for the latter should work.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Peter you’re referring to integrated, single speaker comparisons and the OP is referring to conventional speaker/amp combinations…

Really? Sorry. 😳

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Multi room wireless music system’ is closed to new replies.