Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Multi fuel wood burners..do you multi??
  • DrP

We’ve a multi fuel but only ever use wood.
    Not for any valid reason tbh..

What are the benefits of using coal(ite)?
    Can anyone recommend a bag for me to try..

I gather it’s hotter?

What’s the deal.. Wood first, then a shovel or two of coal??

Or shall I just stick to smoking the neighbors out with wood?

DrP

Pants…mods, please move to chat if possible, Ta!

trail_rat
    Free Member

have never burnt coal on mine….. if and when i replace it itll be a wood only burner – i do find they are significantly easier when using wood.

snownrock

We used to burn ‘large nut anthracite’ on ours. Would last a lot longer than wood at a slower burn.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Only use coal last thing at night to keep it going.

argoose
    Free Member

I use about 80% cobbles, £140 for 500kg, brought in November down to last 100kg.
    I find it a lot easier to use, only see too fire three times a day.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

We use New Flame in our Chilli Penguin. Burns hotter, lasts longer, a bit less control, not as nice a flame.

Wood during the day when we are at home. Coal overnight and when we are out at work.

We only have our LPG (expensive to run) central heating on for an hour at each end of the day, so the stove is kept in all the time to keep the main rooms of the house warm.

Use about £70 a month coal, over £100 wood per month.

sweepy
    Free Member

Wood only here, or verdo briquettes if i’m running short.
    After spending the last 8 yrs with a coal fire I’m glad I don’t have to use the filthy stuff any more.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Homefire ovals in mine simply because if i run out i can have a delivery in my coal shed by the next day. The fire doesn’t need as much tending as it does with wood. Two shovels last all evening.

ratadog

As above, coal burns slower so only use it if we are going to be out for awhile and want the room heated by the burner to still be warm when we get back. Otherwise burn wood, A couple of bags of coal have therefore lasted us most of last winter and all of this so far.

soobalias
    Free Member

Use about £70 a month coal, over £100 wood per month

wow

PePPeR

I tend to just use wood as I get it for free, but I blagged some spare smokeless steam coal lumps the other day and wow, they put out some heat!

I may have to investigate further if only to be able to keep a fire in overnight especially at the weekends.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Coal can be good for keeping a good base in the fire (and for filling in when wood supply is low). Not so good for the flue though.

steviegil
    Free Member

Mixture of anthracite and wood. Anthracite at night to keep it going and wood when we are in during the day.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I bought a pure wood burner (Hunter Herald 5) and as such, it has no grate for coals.
    I’ve looked into a conversion kit & whilst they aren’t particularly expensive its a real faff to convert.
    So… I’m wondering about having a little grate made that will stand on little feet on the floor of the firebox, something that will easily lift in & out when needed. As above, just so I can keep a fire in overnight etc.

Anyone done similar, or know what it will cost to have made?

Drac

Ovals here and for a for a good few weeks heat logs, they’ve proven to be superb.

sweepy
    Free Member

I will never understand this fascination with keeping stoves in overnight, bad for the flue.

Gunz
    Free Member

Use both, keeps up a good temperature for a good licking flame from the wood.

kormoran
    Free Member

In a previous house we had an inset open fire that had a wood burning grate, when we wanted to use coal we used to sit a bog standard coal fire grate on top, it ran perfectly like that. To be honest a bed of coal at the start and then wood on top seemed to go like a dream, better than wood only. Not sure where we got the coal grate from, it wasn’t part of the fire so probably from a junk shop somewhere. It was just like a basket on legs really, a forge could knock you one up if you couldn’t find one

br
    Free Member

I will never understand this fascination with keeping stoves in overnight,

I’ve never understood why so many people use a stove when they’ve got central heating.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Maybe some people like to heat just the rooms they’re in rather than the whole house 😕

chrisdw
    Free Member

I will never understand this fascination with keeping stoves in overnight, bad for the flue

Warm in the morning for breakfast though!

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Wood, peat and coal here

Tend to start with wood and then shove some coal or peat on

Quite like the smell of peat and it’s less dusty than coal

SaxonRider

I will burn whatever I can get for free. Some cedars were cut down next door, and I have been burning them for the last two winters. But I also have a barrel full of coal which, from time to time, I have shovelled onto the wood fire to keep it going through the night.

Ultimately, I prefer wood for the romance and the smell, but I find coal offers many practical benefits.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Multi fuel wood burners..do you multi??’ is closed to new replies.