• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by juan.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Multi ethnic workplace
  • heresjonny
    Free Member

Okay so I work for a company of 140 ish personal, in Kent, it occurred to me the other day we have no-one of non anglo saxon origins, or european decsent, or of any disability, is that quite odd, anyone elses company similar to this.

BoardinBob

Do you work for the BNP?

cynic-al
    Free Member

At the moment yes, but only 20 of us, in a traditionally white middle class profession in a fairly white city.

mrsflash
    Free Member

yes, but there are only 4 of us.

atlaz
    Free Member

It happens. It’s only a problem if you have a tendency of not hiring people who don’t fit the profile you’ve described. If it genuinely happens naturally then there’s no problem. I worked at a defence contractor in the late 90s who were similarly staffed but I know for sure that it was nothing to do with discrimination, more to do with who applied.

IanMunro
    Free Member

In my location we’ve got –
    Iranian 3
    Iraqi 2
    White Anglo 18
    Chinese 5
    Mauriation 1
    Pakistani 1
    Indian 2
    Portugese 1
    Greek 1
    Italian 1
    Irish 1

trailmonkey

I don’t think that there’s anything unusual about that. Unless you’re working in a working class environment, in a major city, I’d say the chances are that you’ll be working amongst a pretty much exclusively white, English/Scottish/Welsh workforce – despite what the press tells us about immigration or multi culturalism or social mobility.
    I live in Devon and the definition of a foreigner down here, is someone born outside of the county not the country. I know, I’ve been called one often enough.

bruneep

and the flip side the fire service are “actively seeking” anyone who is not a white heterosexual male.

nukeproof
    Free Member

No. In fact if I think about the team I’m in, which has about 20 team members, I’d say 17 are ‘non anglo saxon origins, or european decsent, or of any disability’.

aP
    Free Member

In my office we have:
    Welsh (not Anglo Saxon)
    Irish (or them)
    Scottish (or them either)
    German
    Portugese
    German Chinese
    Hong Kong Chinese
    South African
    Polish
    Turkish
    Iraqi
    American
    Kiwi

and most difficult of all 41 of us: North Yorkshire

hora
    Free Member

heresjonny out of that 140 there will be a few that are of Eastern European descent. Alot of people in the UK change their name to ‘assimilate’ better. I know a fair few who have done this.

SiB
    Free Member

aP and IanMunro – so if you go out somewhere to eat with your work mates where do you go to suit everyone?!

juan
    Free Member

In my previous lab, we reach the point where for the majority of us, english wasn’t the first language.
    3 french
    1 from sri lanka
    1 german
    5 english, 2 of them being first generation immigrant (iran and india)
    2 italian
    1 american
    1 austrian

I shall say that the ethnic minority in the chemical department was english white straight people.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I work in an office in Glasgow, there’s only 2 wasps here, but its all white faces.

hora
    Free Member

In addition, how many Russian Jews are in that 140? (doesnt matter if they are non-practicing and you dont have to have a thick accent and wear traditional folk clothing to be spotted!).

(Post-war years a great deal of Polish, Russian and Hungarians migrated to the UK). Wiki will tell me all the facts rather than generalise 😉

juan
    Free Member

Sib I don’t think they do, anything would be too expensive for the north Yorkshire’s people 😉

matt_outandabout

Do English working in Scotland count as multi ethnic?

duntmatter
    Free Member

All this assumes people are aware of their ethnic background. Go a few generations back and who really knows? (Cue someone telling us they can trace every ancestor back to blah blah..)

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I can go for weeks without seeing anyone non white (Why do i get uncomfortable saying black).

For some unknown reason to me cumbria has a very low ethnic content.

aP
    Free Member

If we do go out I’m one of the people who ends up paying, so basically if its my turn – where I want to go, but yes as juan picked up the north Yorkshire gent is the first with his nose in the trough and the last with his hand in his pocket.

juan
    Free Member

ROFLMAO at aP
    I was being sarcastic, as from experience, on here yorshire gents are considered tight by the STW massive
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Multi ethnic workplace’ is closed to new replies.