• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Multi day ride – big old chamois shorts…
  • brassneck

So work have offered me 2 days free holiday to ride to Amsterdam (it’s all for charidee, mate, but I don’t like to talk about it ..) – as I’ll be shepherding people who’ve barely seen a bike in 20 years I suspect fitness / feeding won’t be too much of an issue and I can cover that nicely myself. However, sitting on a bike for 8 hours for 4 days may cause some discomfort.. so what brands / models of shorts can you recommend with a mahoosive spongy chamois that’ll save my battered perineum? Any other tips for ‘hardening’ beyond ride a lot and slather in minty arse lard?

cp

recommend with a mahoosive spongy chamois that’ll save my battered perineum

probably not one with a massive chamois, but rather the one that suits your arse shape. Unfortunately IMO, you just need to try some

flatfish
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I’m sheparding a dozen or so this Thursday but it’s only 120miles or so over 2 days but there’s a big party with free beer at the end.

njee20
    Free Member

Rapha do a comfort guarantee IIRC. I’d give them a go. Personally I like Assos, but starting now I’d be more inclined to try Rapha. Expensive mistake otherwise!

dknwhy

The most expensive ones decathlon do and loads of chamois cream.

freeagent
    Free Member

^This.

I did a 5 day ride from London to Llanberis 18 months ago using these shorts + chamois cream.
    by the time we got to Snowdonia my arse was the least of my worries.

brassneck

Expensive mistake otherwise!

True that, could be a VERY expensive one as I’m leaning toward a couple of pairs to switch up the patterns.. I’ll check Rapha out for sure. Decathlon good shout, have some other layers from them that work well.

probably not one with a massive chamois, but rather the one that suits your arse shape

That’s what the cushion comment was based on – of the two reasonable pairs I own, the bigger gets pulled out for longer days out.

Couple of slightly cheaper end ones I had in mind – Howies and Endura MT500 (the old classic I’ve never got around to owning) – any thoughts on them?

brassneck

Funnily enough, I’m sheparding a dozen or so this Thursday but it’s only 120miles or so over 2 days but there’s a big party with free beer at the end.

In a professional capacity? Tips appreciated .. we have official ‘support’ but will be separated from them for periods, and myself and a couple of other regular cyclists are expecting to be carrying the majority of the morale/mechanical support.

Was also considering a GPS to save the phone battery.Yes, this is slowly turning into an object lesson in self justification of some new toys.

Bez

+1 for “whatever works for you” and a bumper helping of arse lard.

tod456
    Free Member

If it’s not too hot, where two pairs.
    Advice … The issue you’ll have rideing at a slower pass that usual will mean you spend a larger % not pedelling which means you’ll spend more time sitting on the saddle than hovering over it pedelling.

TheGingerOne

Spend a decent amount on DHB (aeron) or Sportful or Castelli etc. Most brands use Cytech pads, so look for a brand and model that uses them.

Whatever anyone tells you, you do get what you pay for. Yes, you can buy very cheap shorts, but they are cheap for a reason. I would say spend £50 or more

Do not wear 2 pairs of shorts, they are not designed to be worn like that, much like they are not designed to be worn with anything else under them.

On a personal note, I have bought 2 pairs of the Howies 3/4 bibs (both sizes as the first smaller size was too small) and have to say that I am not a fan of their fit or shape esp with the pad, so I would not recommend Howies myself. I am a massive fan of Sportful though for the road

dovebiker

Sportful Total Comfort, most comfortable seat pad I’ve found. Castelli Projetto is good too. Wear 2 pairs if you like a bit of crease’n’friction action 😉

flatfish
    Free Member

brassneck – Member
    In a professional capacity? Tips appreciated .. we have official ‘support’ but will be separated from them for periods, and myself and a couple of other regular cyclists are expecting to be carrying the majority of the morale/mechanical support.

Was also considering a GPS to save the phone battery.Yes, this is slowly turning into an object lesson in self justification of some new toys.

Semi professional. I’ve got my guiding qualifications and first aid so I’m being utilised because of this, I’m not being paid for it as its to do with the wife and I don’t do any proper work anyway.
    My tips are to keep them distracted by chatting and playing mental games/quizzes. If their minds are busy they’re not thinking about the hill they’re slowly climbing.
    Get a small frame bag or something similar for the group tools and keep a couple of gels hidden in your bag for those moments of desperation but don’t freely offer them unless needed.

brassneck

First aid quali is actually a very good point. I’ll have to get updated on that.

lunge

Correct answer, for my arse at least.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Multi day ride – big old chamois shorts…’ is closed to new replies.