Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Multi-Activity? Does that mean you're a "Jack of all Trades, Master of None"?
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Just got to the end of another weekend – knackered and happy, and have tried to pack in as much as I can. But with doing a fair few different activities, I only have time for a couple per weekend. So the last couple have days have been road riding, followed by mountaineering. Planning on going to the climbing wall one evening this week, want to fit in a spin class as well, and off mountain biking next weekend.

The trouble is, I’d like to get better at all of them, but feel within doing several different activities, that I’m struggling to progress as much as I’d like. Each time I do one type of activity, I think “right, I love it, this is the one I’m going to concentrate on”, but then the next day go off doing something different and think exactly the same about that!

So, if you do more than one outdoor pursuit, what to you do? Have one ‘main’ activity and get better at that, whilst the rest are ‘secondary’? Accept that you’ll just be OKish at all of them, but won’t really progress?

Or do I just need to wait til I’m old enough to retire and then I wouldn’t have to work full-time 🙂

Cougar

Do what you enjoy and stop worrying about it?

You’ve answered your own question really. The more you practice something, generally the better you’ll get at it, though it’s probably deminishing returns once you reach a certain level of competency.

ton

do them all Sue, if you enjoy em all.

i am gonna take up crocheting over the winter…… 😉

midlifecrashes

You can of course keep up a variety. I know someone who just does Swim, Bike and Run on the same outing, and rather than being a Jack of all trades they have initially turned into a
    T[/i]otal
    W[/i]inners at
    A[/i]ll
    T[/i]rades 🙂

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Unless you intend on turning pro why worry about being good?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

do them all Sue, if you enjoy em all.

Yeah, innit? Be thankful you can do such fun things, and concentrate on the enjoyment, not the performance.

I went for a little spin today; strong headwind slowed me down, which annoyed me. Then, I realised I could enjoy meself more if I knocked it down a gear or two and stopped fighting against it so much. Yeah, I was slower, but I had more fun. 🙂

Sue; if yer half as good at the other things as you are on a bike (You should see her descend on mountain roads! 😯 ), then you must be alright at them! TBH I wish I enjoyed half the activities you do; not much scope for proper climbing or white-water/sea kayaking round here. 😐

You’re just bloody spoiled is what you are…

i am gonna take up crocheting over the winter

I’m going to be crotchety over winter. 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Just waste less time doing stuff you don’t want to get better at…

Like housework, or commuting by car, or singletrackworld…

Edukator
    Free Member

I think you’l find many activities are complementary and concentrating on one will mean you don’t benefit from qualities developped doing other things.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Cheers peeps – you’re right I should just feel lucky to be able to get out and do different stuff. So, less performance anxiety, more enjoyment 🙂

Oh, and stop wasting time on STW (TSY – pot / kettle / black 😉 )

Ton – I have a spare crochet hook if you need to borrow one …

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I had to concede last Monday that I am never going to play footy at top level. 🙁

Shame. It’s the sport’s loss, really.

Sue; you seem to pack far more into your life than most people do. I think it’s a matter of perspective; whilst it’s great to have the energy and motivation to do more, and better, it’s also good to step back and see things more objectively. Maybe you’re just being too demanding of yourself, and not appreciating that actually, you’re doing bloody well. Enjoy it!

grum
    Free Member

I know what you mean. Most things I’m happy to just do every now and then and it’s not an issue though – but I found with climbing you really need to be doing it regularly to get into it and find it properly rewarding.

Oh yeah, and sack off the spin class! 🙂

derekrides
    Free Member

Those thing you’ve mentioned are not difficult plates to keep spinning, probably the mountain bike thing being potentially more demanding if you decide to pursue it to the limits.

So do them all, the big benefit is keeping fit, which keeps oxygen in the bloodstream, makes you feel good, quicker thinking able to deal with all lifes little stresses better, whilst of course making the pursuit of each of its happinesses easier.

Good for you doing all that stuff.

I’ve always been a bit of a multi choice sports type, although i did focus occasionally when one or other of the more tricky activities required it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh, and when it comes to making crumble; you’re definitely a master at that. Indisputably. 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Multi-Activity? Does that mean you're a "Jack of all Trades, Master of None"?’ is closed to new replies.