Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Muker – Gunnerside walk
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

Taking some mates to Muker for some walking and beer.

No bikes unfortunately.

I’m looking for a nice loop from Muker that takes in Gunnerside Gill around 5 hours. Any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.

martinhutch

Obvious one is Muker to Keld on the higher path on the west of the river. Pub in Keld, then cross and back west towards Gunnerside Gill via Swinden Gill. Cross over and either follow the BW or the lower path back towards Gunnerside. Pub. There are a variety of nice paths back to Muker. Pub.

RustySpanner

Pint in the Farmer’s, walk up to the Tan Hill on the bridleway up past the river, wobble back?

Now that’s a pub crawl to be proud of.

BillMC
    footflaps

via Swinden Gill

isn’t it Swinner Gill IIRC (ought to know as I do own a cottage in Muker..)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

the narrow valley between muker and keld is nice, so something along the lines of what MartinHutch is suggesting. A clockwise or anticlockwise circuit of Gunnerside-Muker-Swinner Gill-Gunnerside Gill. The problem with stopping at pubs is you quite quickly can’t be arsed with the walking. Altho if you stop at Keld, then you’ve no choice as it’s the furthest point. tho I seem to recall the only bar at keld is the YHA, but I might be wrong.

walk along the river bank towards Muker village,
    dont cross river to Muker but continue to bottom of Ivelet Woods,
    (if you want to go into Muker then you can cross the river)
    at bottom of ivelet woods you turn back right for a short distance then,
    up the hillside on a tree lined ramp thru Ivelet Woods (not marked as a FP on map),
    then get up onto the high footpath to Swinner Gill,
    over top to Gunnerside gill,
    you can traverse upto the waterfall,
    back to Gunnerside (a path on winterings Edge will be more interesting than the main 4×4 farmers road).

EDIT, just realised you’re starting in Muker, so you’d cross the bridge at the bottom of Ivelet woods, turn right (south east) for a short distance, then up the Ivelet woods ramp

hammy7272
    Free Member

Perfect, sounds like three pubs to tick off on the way.

Thanks I’ll check it out

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Muker – Gunnerside walk’ is closed to new replies.