Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • Muirfield golf course
  • hooli

So what do we make of this?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/36331270

Some say they are stuck in the dark ages, some say it is no different to the ladies only gyms/classes/uplift days etc.

Northwind

I like the balance; they can choose not to be part of the modern world and in return, the modern world decides not to visit.

It’s not the same as ladies only events- the Open would never visit a female only club either, for one thing, and for another there’s no such thing, which kind of demonstrates why it’s an issue.

sharkbait
    Free Member

“Knobs” I think sums it up for me.

mefty
    Free Member

I agree with Northwind, different to a club that has a role in the management of the game such as the R&A, MCC etc.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What about the Ladies only clubs ? Just heard an interesting interview with a senior Ladies Golf administrator and she did say there are ladies only clubs, not as grand as Muirfiled for sure but they do exist (@Northwind)

Muirfield is a place with firm views, famously Tom Watson after winning the Open there went back with Jack Nicklaus to play a round and where told, sorry you’re not members !

It’s their choice, they where too they would lose the right to hold the Open Championship but I suspect many members find that a huge inconvenience anyway

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

she did say there are ladies only clubs, not as grand as Muirfiled for sure but they do exist (@Northwind)

Not to open standard there aren’t.

project
    Free Member

Its there club, and they can do what they want behind closed doors ,and on the lawns.

Wirral ladies golf club up the road from me,

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not to open standard there aren’t.

No off course not but the credit for Muirfield goes to the members

zanelad
    Free Member

On the plus side it keeps Sturgeon from becoming a member.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good for the Honourable Conpany to resist the pressure (largely from HSBC as sponsors)

Place for men and women only clubs in all aspects of life – St Andrews had the R&A (sadly now bowed to pressure), the St Rule (Ladies) and two mixed clubs. Everyone is happy.

The Open has lost the best course in Britain – for PC bullshit.

The St Rule Club is a ladies club which was established at the end of 1896. The original aims were social, to share newspapers and periodicals, to have tea and light refreshments and to have shelter near the links. Its formation was encouraged by Captain Boothby of The Royal and Ancient Golf Club and its 186 founder members (including The Captain’s wife Ella Beatrice Boothby) leased, as a temporary clubhouse, 4 Gibson Place for the year 1897.

The move to the current premises at 12 The Links in 1898 coincided with the creation of a golf section within The Club.

Situated next to the 18th green of the Old Course, The Club has a magnificent panoramic view across the world famous St Andrews Links and the West Sands towards the Angus hills.

Today, in addition to golf, activities organised in The St Rule Club, include bridge, putting, arts and crafts, a book club, coffee morning talks and a programme of winter lectures. The Club thrives with a membership of 500 ladies, 288 of whom are golfers.

A very close bond exists between the two august governing bodies of golf, The Ladies Golf Union who rented the two upper floors of the building for many years from 1977 and The Royal and Ancient Golf Club who has never faltered in its support of The St Rule Club.

One (St) Rule for women and one for men

Junkyard
    Free Member

Some say they are stuck in the dark ages,

They are

some say it is no different to the ladies only gyms/classes/uplift days etc.

Those people are idiots who are stuck in the dark ages and scrabbling around for a reason to justify being sexist.

It’s their choice

What if they banned Jews?

gordimhor

I say build a tramline through it

stevious

I for one don’t think it’s ‘PC bull’ for a professional sports organisation to discourage institutional misogyny.

gordimhor

Stevious +1

imnotverygood

I say build a tramline through it
    Oh God no! It cost £750 million to build a 6 mile stretch in town. How much would it cost to go all the way to Gullane? The country planet couldn’t afford it.

mefty
    Free Member

Who is the professional sports organisation?

gordimhor

Wouldn’t that be these folk Mefty
    http://www.randa.org/TheRandA/AboutTheRandA/About-Us

@imnotverygood No need to build all that just a short stretch down the 18th fairway across the green and through the clubhouse should get the message through

MoreCashThanDash

Members had a free choice, their decision has had a fair consequence.

The club captain on the telly looks like he wished the vote had gone the other way!

irc

It’s not the same as ladies only events- the Open would never visit a female only club either, for one thing, and for another there’s no such thing,

The Ladies Golf Club, Troon. It shares the same course as the men only Troon club. Don’t see the problem.

http://www.tlgct.co.uk/home.aspx?i=no

themilo
    Free Member

I guess they can do what they like. I don’t agree with it at all and I do wonder “why”? I mean it’s 100k plus to just get a membership there anyway, I doubt they’d be overrun with “Sharon’s and Tracey’s” (apologies to all Sharon’s and Tracey’s btw but you get my point). Seems a very strange one to me. I wonder what the average age of membership is and I wonder what their wives think of their vote (assuming they are/are still married).

I am surprised that sexism appears to be ok but it wouldn’t be ok to insist all members be white (I bloody hope not anyway).

jambalaya
    Free Member

What if they banned Jews?

No problem if they did so for example by only allowing Muslim or Christian members. You can’t join a Synagogue as a member unless you are Jewish but you can attend a service. At Muirfield you can play a round as a woman guest but you cannot be a member.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

A 33-strong group of ‘no’ campaigners among the Muirfield members had cited concerns about slow play and making women “feel uncomfortable” among the “risks” of admitting female members.

I’m trying to work out the back to front thinking which reads as “We’re not going to let women in because we make them feel uncomfortable.”

Surely they’re capable of behaving in such a way that women don’t feel uncomfortable?

Do women golfers play slower than men?

I’m bewildered and confused.

Don’t think you can compare women only gym classes to a single sex club; they’re more comparable to a women’s only day/ morning on a golf course.

athgray
    Free Member

If golf wishes to have men and women only clubs then that is fine, but I do not think in this day and age they should be allowed the prestige of hosting The Open. I disagree with the comparison with gym classes and uplift days. In a sporting environment I imagine many women who may not partake in these activities feel more comfortable in a women only environment.

I can imagine the jurassic discussions at Muirfield regarding not allowing women in.

nickc

as Northwind really. They have a right to choose how they organise themselves as do the people that organise the Open.

Stoner
    Free Member

Well since women can’t drive and they’re often preoccupied with the iron, it’s not surprising really.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Do bears….. 😉

Lots of myopic angst/hypocrisy over single sex golf clubs. Only bad in 50% of cases. No guessing which way.

Hang in there Honourable Company and Royal Troon.

Nick, the R&A merely bent over to HSBC pressure

benz
    Free Member

TBH, the lack of hypocrisy is refreshing.

I used to work for a company for inclusiveness supported the formation of such fora as:

Company X women’s network

Company X LG&TD network

Both by their definition were non-exclusive and discriminatory.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ban golf, its the only way.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Played golf for years and by far the slowest folks on the course were the old duffers (blokes) who thought they owned the place and refused to let anyone through regardless of whether they made them wait on every tee. Never saw the women acting like that..

Good news is give it 10 years and all the old farts will probably be dead, so perhaps better off holding a revote until then.

That said, why would anyone want to join a club full of such pompus old asshats anyhow…

vickypea
    Free Member

I don’t understand why men and women feel the need to segregate anyway

chewkw
    Free Member

Their members have voted so democracy prevails accept that.

Club rules innit!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well since women can’t drive and they’re often preoccupied with the iron, it’s not surprising really.

Chapeau

making women “feel uncomfortable”

They cannot join as we cannot interact with them…interesting defence

Lots of myopic angst/hypocrisy over single sex golf clubs.

You sures it not you getting angry because you quite like 19 th century values towards women?

Junkyard
    Free Member

benz
    Free Member

Don’t really understand why Muirfield get criticised for this.

Women’s Rural Institute as an example. Are other sexes permitted to join?

Potentially the issue with Muirfield is that there may be a perception that the members are rich old codgers and this perception shapes judgement. There are plenty of other non inclusive groups, so what is the issue?

Muirfield lose the ability to host The Open, I’m sure there are more important news items than this.

chewkw
    Free Member

People are just making a fuss out of nothing because it is a golf club which is considered a club for the rich. Just plain jealousy me think. No rational whatsoever.

Unless the members are these two blokes …

The celebrity cool dude that drops mic and the “billion” dollar man (the one in pink).

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Think it’s more the unequal use of a resource that’s the problem. Women can only use Muirfield as a guest. At Troon? There’s a male club and a female club on the same course who presumably manage the course equally. The women’s institute doesn’t stop men using the village hall. Think there may well be men in the WI now anyway.

chubstr
    Free Member

They’re not the only ones to do it, they just lost the chance to host the Open.

I believe Augusta only allowed women members in 2012 and have constantly been accused of racism.

These “high brow” golf clubs attract a certain Jag driving type who are probably not known for their feminism and are just happy that there are no women around forcing their need for sexual harassment on the poor old men.

chewkw
    Free Member

chubstr – Member
    They’re not the only ones to do it, they just lost the chance to host the Open.

If they don’t need the money then there is no lost to hosting unwanted Open if they can sustain themselves financially. Most golf clubs have no problem sustaining themselves financially.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Quite chubstr…
    I’m just playing junkyard professionally offended bshit bingo at the moment, he’s not accused them of being racist xenophobic bigots yet though, here’s hoping….

Junkyard
    Free Member

I cannot do that until you join them.

If I wanted to see someone who is professionally offended I would just discuss how wonderful multiculturalism has been for the UK with you 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Muirfield golf course’ is closed to new replies.