Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Mugged on the trail at the FoD and bike stolen
  • sgn23
    Free Member

A guy had his bike nicked whilst out riding the trail at the Forest of Dean yesterday. The scum bag pushed him down a slope and road off with his bike.
    Man pushed down hill for his bike in Cannop

andyl
    Free Member

sheesh. You can’t even ride safely at a trail centre now 🙁

Bike is very distinctive so hopefully someone will spot it.

boxelder

can’t even ride safely at a trail centre

that’s where I’d choose to operate if I was a scrote.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Was there the other day and three really dodgy blokes were wandering around the place; pretty sure they were sussing out bikes.

kayak23

Always tend to get a bit lax leaving bikes outside while going in for food too. 😕
    ****!!! 👿

jambalaya
    Free Member

Depressing

Cheezpleez

I heard a tale of this being attempted in the Surrey hills too. No idea if it was true.

andyl
    Free Member

that’s where I’d choose to operate if I was a scrote.

Car park yeah, be extra vigilant but you nomrally think that when you are on the trails you are pretty safe and just going to encounter other riders.

You do hear of this happening on cyclepaths through rough areas, parks etc.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Towpaths and stuff I’ve heard of but usually local scrotes just trying to nick any old stuff from people passing by. Then I’ve heard of a couple of attempts in Surrey Hills. One on Pitch a few years back where supposedly someone got chased and then the Leith incident recently, but not convinced these are anything more than people dicking around, just happen to be there and maybe chancing it.

This one at FoD sounds more serious and maybe targeted.

Though from stories I’ve heard, usually at trail centres and such the targets are unattended bikes at car parks, or items in cars. Plus the classic of being followed home, though not sure this has ever been proven.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Plus the classic of being followed home, though not sure this has ever been proven

agreed, urban myth IMHO

People say ‘I got followed home’ So you noticed and clocked the car occupants?

andyl
    Free Member

Following people home has been a problem in Bristol.

milky1980
    Free Member

Ride there regularly so will be on my guard next time.

Normally I’d say you’ll be safe out on the trails but all the stuff at FOD is never more than half a mile from a main road, some is right next to them, with loads of fireroads wiggling everywhere so escape routes for scrotes are easy. As for dodgy-looking people wandering around looking at bikes? That’s half the locals!

MoreCashThanDash

As for dodgy-looking people wandering around looking at bikes? That’s half the locals! forumites!

That’s worrying. Had a couple of nervous moments commuting on towpaths or youths in local woods, but being ambushed on trails is a step up.

We have ruled out the world’s most high profile n+1 scam?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Very scary did see 3 scum bags couple of years ago by the grey mound where the downhill runs start was mid week so cleared of somewhere else they were on odd bikes.

janesy81
    Free Member

Being followed home definitely an issue around Bristol – happened to me. I noted the guys reg number, and police said he was a known bike thief. Same thing happened to another friend in the area too. In fairness though, in both cases we picked up the tail on way home rather than being followed from the trail centre

dudeofdoom

Plus the classic of being followed home, though not sure this has ever been proven
    agreed, urban myth IMHO

Hmm house broken into an 2 bikes nicked – although 100s of quids worth of fags left an iPads etc….untouched…

dpfr

Being followed home definitely an issue around Bristol – happened to me. I noted the guys reg number, and police said he was a known bike thief. Same thing happened to another friend in the area too. In fairness though, in both cases we picked up the tail on way home rather than being followed from the trail centre

They have a mate who acts as a spotter and phones the tail when you leave. Happened to me on the way to the gym from work and cost me a rear window and a laptop.

janesy81
    Free Member

I’d been riding down near Plymouth, so surprised if they followed me that far! Would have had to follow for about 4 hours. Think I just got unlucky on route home through Bristol – had bike on the roof. Could well be what happened to my mate though. Just mega paranoid about getting followed now – if I get suspicious I just take a silly route and see if they follow, and only put bike on roof if no other choice!

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Never happened on the bike but was chased by a gang of skinheads while I was running round Clapham Common once. Fortunately they proved to be not very fit and they couldn’t catch me!

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

ive hidden my addresses on strava now, can’t say I’ve been followed home though

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

This is where one of these comes in handy…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HjK96o]Rievaulx 16.07.15 040[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

johnw1984
    Free Member

For the bodies of the scrotes, right?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Mugged on the trail at the FoD and bike stolen’ is closed to new replies.