Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Mugdock to WHW
  • wallace1492
    Free Member

I know a lot of you guys know Mugdock…..
    There is a trail from near the castle that heads down through a hole in a wall, across some boardwalk and out onto WHW.

Historically you were not allowed to cycle this trail and there were signs up, but since the land reform act, you can.
    However on the boardwalk section there are planks put up to stop bikes. They are at 1 bike length intervals, so perfect to stop cycling.

Do you not think the park authorities should be removing these, as the right to roam (by bike) is for all places. Failing that do you think some simple “trail maintenance” would help?

BoardinBob

I’ve seen a couple removed in the past, either accidentally or on purpose, but they’ve been replaced soon after. I agree it’s a pain as the descent after the hole in the wall is excellent but I never bother with it because of the boardwalk barriers.

Vinte
    Free Member

I like the boardwalk barriers, they add to the fun and challenge of the trail.

balfa
    Free Member

I think Mugdock wood is a SSSI so its a slightly greyer area. I think that would be the reason they would use to justify them. I think it is responsible biking as long as you stick to the armoured path and so perfectly legal.

arrpee
    Free Member

I don’t think that removing these barriers would achieve much other than unnecessarily antagonising the park authorities. The relationship between bikers and other user groups in the park has been fractious at times, so I wouldn’t be tempted to risk further strife for the sake of such a short section of trail.

Plenty of quality alternatives available.

BoardinBob

The relationship between bikers and other user groups in the park has been fractious at times

Really? Other than on the WHW up as far as Carbeth, it’s rare to see anyone else in the park and I’d say 90% of the trails we ride in there aren’t likely to have any non-bikers on them, unless Flux suddenly becomes a walkers path overnight.

mrplow
    Free Member

Which is flux again? Last time I was up some fannies had tried building kickers and berms on the beat up trail from the farmhouse with the funny motion activated lights down to the road between Carbeth and Strathblane. Was not pretty, hope they have not continued 🙁

wallace1492
    Free Member

Quote: I don’t think that removing these barriers would achieve much other than unnecessarily antagonising the park authorities. The relationship between bikers and other user groups in the park has been fractious at times, so I wouldn’t be tempted to risk further strife for the sake of such a short section of trail. Unquote

Post was a bit tongue in cheek, as there is plenty of access for other trails. However as long as you are a responsible biker, I do not see any issues, I or any group I have been with has ever had any problems with other park users or authorities.

Sanny
    Free Member

Why not contact Maggie at the Ranger Service? She should be able to advise re the wooden uprights. I do laugh at how the armoured trail at the top is bypassed by most walkers I see when on it as it’s pretty slippy in the wet to walk down easily.

As for difficult relationships with walkers and other user group, really? I would struggle to remember more than two incidents in the last ten years when I’ve ridden up there. For a park that gets over half a million visitors per annum, I would say most folk get along really well. My only bug bear is jobbie trees!

Cheers

grum
    Free Member

I rode in Mugdock Park for the first time last week – just exploring but I happened on the descent you’re talking about. I also enjoyed it but it was spoiled slightly by the raised bits.

I like the boardwalk barriers, they add to the fun and challenge of the trail.

You must have some pretty good bike skills – I found the way they are spaced impossible, as you need to be raising the front wheel for the next one just as the back wheel comes over the first one.

My brother lives near to Drymen – any locals up for showing me around Mugdock next time I come up? I found some really nice stuff by chance but I bet there’s loads more.

wallace1492
    Free Member

grum, the Mountian Bike Glasgow – Meet Up Group go there at least 2 or three times a week. Join up, all free, friendly and relatively easy paced.

There is oodles of stuff there….

grum
    Free Member

That sounds perfect, cheers.

mrplow
    Free Member

Huge STW ego time :mrgreen: 😆 – me and my friend Jon on here have no issue on the slats. Never seem my other mate Stu doing it but I can guess the outcome 😆

I like them as a feature.

Have the downed trees on voodoo been cleared at all?

pistola
    Free Member

The uprights were put there years ago because ‘some’ bikers were hooning down the boardwalk (it is downhill toward the WHW) and nearly colliding with/pi$$ing off walkers. I can see this happening even more nowadays if they weren’t there as you could pick up a fair bit of speed down it. They are rideable and I feel add a challenge to an otherwise relatively boring section.

Grum, you can also come along to a Glasgow Mountain Bike Club ride on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening or Sunday morning – we’ve been riding these trails for over 20years…

http://www.gmbc.org.uk

and

http://glasgowmbc.wordpress.com/

wallace1492
    Free Member

Didn’t know there was downed trees on Voodoo Hill, not been all over it for a while. going to sort out branch tonight on WHW that sticks out at a jaunty angle, just right for impaling on…. also might try and break up tree at top of the boardwalk section as mentioned above. Someone seems to have started on it with an axe……

If you want the downed trees clerared, bring a saw or an axe!

arrpee
    Free Member

I’m going back a couple of years now, but my friends and I seemed to have a spate of run-ins with militant dog-walkers, mostly around the Milngavie end of the park. I’d assumed this to be the common experience, but it seems we’ve just been unlucky. No issues lately.

To those responsible for the Mugdock trails, I salute you.

grum
    Free Member

Grum, you can also come along to a Glasgow Mountain Bike Club ride on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening or Sunday morning – we’ve been riding these trails for over 20years…

Excellent, lots of options so I should definitely be able to sort something for next time. 🙂

Huge STW ego time – me and my friend Jon on here have no issue on the slats.

Maybe you’ve just got small bikes. 😛

wallace1492
    Free Member

Did notice one trail had rather a lot of branches placed over it, definately as an impediment to cyclists. Apart from that and the odd dirty look from some walker I have had no problems.

Treat walkers with respect, stop for horse riders, don’t frighten dogs. Give people plenty of space and let them know you are coming through, a friendly word or bell ring should suffice, you will have no problems at all.

Used to be a sign at the Castle prohibiting cycling down that track.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ve always had thoughts off turning up in the middle of the night and sawing 4in gaps in those boards, pain in the arse, my mate did a face plant once getting over the log at the top, was hilarious ashley! 😀

shame to tis a cracking wee bit of downhill down the steppy but..

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

The rocky bit and steps are great fun!

I had to eat my words a wee bit last night on the boardwalk. I’d just manhandled my bike over the 2nd or 3rd set, when I looked back at my brother, who was just hitting the same ones. The words “you’ll not make that” were barely out of my mouth before the little bugger cleared them both and ran into the back of me.

mrplow
    Free Member

Grum – It’s a Spesh Enduro and easily too big for Mugdock lol.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Mugdock to WHW’ is closed to new replies.