Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Mugdock place names
  • dancingfool
    Free Member

Hello. I keep hearing about places in the mugdock area that im not sure if i’ve been to or if i just don’t know there names. canny anyone tell me where carglas woods, lynns cave, Dougalston are roughly. im guessing water works is the part round graidmaddie. ant other manes for bits welcome. ta very much

dancingfool
    Free Member

and also voodoo hill, is that near the farm at cliff top?

BoardinBob

the first rule of Mugdock is…

GHill

Voodoo Hill is near the reservoir, near(ish) Drumclog carpark.

dancingfool
    Free Member

straight accross the road? where they build that fence to stop you missing the gate out

doubledunter
    Free Member

Move on…topic closed,mugdocks trails are in a heliver state, your best bet is to out with one of the local groups ie Mountain Bike Glasgow meetup group or GMBC to get to know the trails and names 🙁 …

dancingfool
    Free Member

i’m pretty sure i’ve found them all been heading up there for years. just dont know what people call them

iainc

might as well just call it the ‘collective mud mess’

Trails have been ridden to death this year – a lot more riders than in the past, coupled with poor weather and possibly some poor route choices when things are in a poor state. It’s unlikley to be any fun until either a decent dry frost or return of ‘summer’

doubledunter
    Free Member

Iain I think 2 years of bad weather has taken its toll, but agreed, large groups riding over the same trails has done them any favours..Im just not feeling the love for the place I once had 🙁

andynaismith
    Free Member

To answer the OP – try looking through segments on strava if you use it – the trails are quite often named.

With regards the state of Mugdock, I go out with the Glasgow MTB Meetup group once or twice a week and we haven’t been on many of the usual trails and routes in mugdock for months – sticking mostly to less technical rides along the WHW and those trails that aren’t as susceptible to falling apart… as well as going elsewhere entirely (we’re doing Callander Trails in Falkirk tomorrow and done a very different ride on Monday which bypassed the Mugdock mud completely)

I do miss the trails – haven’t been down rocky rooty or been across the moor for months now 🙁

I would have hoped other groups that use mugdock are now doing the same!?

Maybe more choices in the future like the developments at Lennox Forest, Whitelees and Cathkin Braes etc will help take off some of the pressure ?

dancingfool
    Free Member

cheers folks.
    aye i’ve not been up as much this last year due to the state of the trails, spend more time up in lennox forest. still be nice to talk to folks without saying “that bit where you come round a corner and theres a tree on your left”

doubledunter
    Free Member

Thing is, a lot of the trails are called different things by different groups and riders, ive looked at strava and thought wheres that, and it turns out we call that section something else. 🙂 for example a sectjon we call rocky rooty,on strava its called rocks n roots… not trying to be secrective or anything 😆

iainc

I would have hoped other groups that use mugdock are now doing the same!?

andy – a good post, and well put. From the GMBC perspective we are also avoiding the boggy sensitive stuff, and looking to other areas, however I’m afraid this isn’t the ‘norm’ for what seems to be a lot of riders. We have been campaigning for a few years to raise the awareness of trail erosion and sustanaible riding. We meet with Maggie the Park Ranger regularly to discuss this, and the ongoing mainainance days on the trails – we had to cancel, at the Park’s request, last Sat due to the ground being frozen.

Hopefully we can continue to spread the word amongst riding groups, and it’s great to hear of others taking a sensible view. Cheers

legend
    Free Member

for example a sectjon we call rocky rooty,on strava its called rocks n roots…

That’s a bit weird when we all know that trail is just called Roots 😉

dh
    Free Member

Jesus you’d think Area 51 is up there or something.

Voodoo is behind reservoir not on the moor side
    Douglaston is from entrance to fairways off auchemhowie to the virgin gym
    Carglas is the woods across the road from the visitor centre

dancingfool
    Free Member

anyone know about lynns caves? not in the park from what i gather but still fancy having a look.

irc

The Linn Caves are actually over at the west side of Lennox forest. Just at the side of the rough track going into Lennox Forrest from the Baldernock end.

Linn Caves

dancingfool
    Free Member

next to the quarry? looks good

pistola
    Free Member

And they’re not actually caves strictly speaking but an abandoned limestone mine. Worth a wee look though.

dh
    Free Member

Ooh thanks for that.

Merak

There was a colourful chap who spent his summer months living in those caves/mines. Cant remember his name, couldnt miss him dressed in full highland garb. Best not to call his pint a poof.

dancingfool
    Free Member

found them on a royal historical site. think i’ll be heading up early sat

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Mugdock place names’ is closed to new replies.