Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Muesli that's healthy ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Muesli that’s healthy ? Does it exist ? It all seems to be packed with fat/sugar salt etc.

Any brands better than others ?

martinhutch

Make your own.

BillMC

^ this. Some of them seem to be about 40% sugar.

mogrim

Lidl muesli doesn’t have any added sugar, although given the amount of dried fruit it has it doesn’t need it…

(At least the muesli they sell in Lidl Spain)

martinhutch

It will also take a couple of minutes to assemble and save you a vast amount of dosh.

bearnecessities

Dorset cereals delicious/nutty or Jordan’s top of the range stuff – apparently lidl have one too.

Next!

Esme
    Free Member

Primrose’s Kitchen but it’s very expensive 😯

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

There’s plenty out there not packed with any added sugar, not much salt etc, almost all the major brands do a “no added sugar” or “natural” version, or much of the posh stuff is not added sugar as standard. Though given a major ingredient in muesli is dried fruit, I don’t see how you’ll avoid relatively sugar content, unless you make your own and not put any fruit in it….then is it really muesli?

Esme
    Free Member

Dorset Cereals are responsible for my £5000 dental bill 🙁

bearnecessities

Raw beetroot and ginger muesli?!

*mutters despairingly*

Edit: ^ Pray tell?

LeeW

Alpen no added sugar (blue bag) is pretty good, most major brands make a sugar free version.

I have made my own in the past, and granola. But the Alpen is by far the better option for me on taste and convenience.

mogrim

Though given a major ingredient in muesli is dried fruit, I don’t see how you’ll avoid relatively sugar content, unless you make your own and not put any fruit in it….then is it really muesli?

Might as well make porridge, then!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Might as well make porridge, then!

Yup!

slowoldman

Yes to Dorset Cereals. But be careful.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I think if you differentiate between muesli and granola you’ll be fine.

Also, sugar and salt are not unhealthy, per se, you just need to consume in moderation.

neilthewheel

Aldi make a fruit one and a nut one. Both yummy. They have no added sugar but a lot of dried fruit, which is sugary.

ton

no oat or cereal based breakfast is healthy.
    get some protein in your belly on a morning…..eggs eggs eggs.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

This morning I’ve opted for chocolate hobnobs.

**** it.

GrahamS

Alpen no added sugar (blue bag) is pretty good, most major brands make a sugar free version.

That’s what I have. According to the label:

Per 100g
    375 kcal
    Carb: 65g (16g sugar)
    Protein: 11g
    Fat: 6.2g (0.9g saturate)

Making my own would probably be healthier but I can’t be arsed.
    I usually have around 90g for breakfast (the “recommended serving” of 45g is ludicrously small)

I have it with sugar-free apple squash, as I try to avoid milk, but Alpen has milk and whey powder in it anyway.

saxabar
    Free Member

Lidl’s blue all the way. Don’t be swayed by heathens pushing the green bags.

piemonster

ton – Member

no oat or cereal based breakfast is healthy.
    get some protein in your belly on a morning…..eggs eggs eggs.

Now don’t be shy, get sharing your recipes?

PS, had some delays on the Sunday so didn’t get time to abseil. I get another shot later in the year.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Eggs for breakfast every day ton, pre-breakfast i have porridge and half a banana. 😉

funkrodent

Sugar content is always high in muesli because of all the dried fruit. As mentioned before, buy a muesli base and add nuts and seeds to it, with no dried fruit. That’ll reduce sugar content considerably.

In truth you want to avoid mueslis that have a high wheat content and go for ones that are mainly (or solely) oats. Then add milk and give them a couple of minutes in the microwave as the heat makes it easier for the body to break them down and absorb the goodness (you could just have porridge of course).

To suggest that muesli for breakfast is not healthy is, frankly, bollox. It is pretty much proven that oats lower cholesterol and blood pressure and that they are an appetite suppressant as they are a slow release carb, thereby keeping you fuller for longer. Have some eggs each day as well for sure, but eat oats as well!

scotroutes

Tesco do their own “no added salt or sugar” version so it’s hardly difficult to come by.

Kryton57

plus

plus

plain oats

FTW.

DezB
    Free Member

Sugar? From dried fruit? In breakfast? OH the HORROR!!

+1 for Lidl’s blue (Simply scrumptious brand) (if sort of thing is required: https://www.nutracheck.co.uk/CaloriesIn/Product/62/Lidl+Simply+Sumptuous+Special+Luxury+Fruit+%26+Nut+Muesli+750g#.VYqBgvlVgSk )

DrP

plus

plus

plus

= breakfast of champions…

DrP

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

ton, yesterday

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Don’t know if they were talking about muesli but I was always advised never to mix the grape and the grain .

Cougar

I think if you differentiate between muesli and granola you’ll be fine.

What is the difference? (Sorry for the dim question; I’m a card-carrying breakfastaphobe, my brekkie is a bucket of coffee.)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

In my understanding, it’s whether the grains are stuck together with a binding agent, usually sugar/honey and fats.

slowoldman

What do you do with those cartons of egg white?

Kryton57

slowoldman – Member
    What do you do with those cartons of egg white?

Make an omelette.

footflaps

I did try some Paleo cereal, but very expensive and I could eat a £5 bag in two meals…

molgrips
    Free Member

no oat or cereal based breakfast is healthy

Hmm.. I’ve been reading about resistant fibre/starch. Interesting stuff. You get it from unprocessed grains.

footflaps

If I didn’t eat 100g of Allbran every morning, I’d probably die from constipation…

funkrodent

Hmm.. I’ve been reading about resistant fibre/starch. Interesting stuff. You get it from unprocessed grains.

So have I (as of about 2 mins ago having seen your post. Love Wikipedia). It just further goes to demonstrate why Oats are the king of breakfast that just keep on giving and wheat is the latter day filler that flatters to deceive..

tragically1969
    Free Member

It all seems to be packed with fat/sugar salt etc.

Apart from the no added sugar and salt ones…. 🙄

GrahamS

As an aside, is it just me that boggled at the idea of a carton of egg whites?

I was under the impression that eggs came in all-natural bio-degradable individual servings, ideally from a local free-range hen fanny.

Seems a bit odd to buy a factory-produced tetrapak of pre-separated eggs with added guar gum because you want something “natural”.
    Especially as they’ve removed the best bit 😀

mogrim

As an aside, is it just me that boggled at the idea of a carton of egg whites?

Same here, and why would you want to make an omelette without the yolk?????

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Muesli that's healthy ?’ is closed to new replies.