Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Mudhugger rear guard
  • failedengineer

I fitted one of these a couple of weeks ago, quite willing to put up with the stick I got from my riding chums in exchange for a dry, clean arse. Imagine my consternation then, when it proved much worse than an old school Crud-type seatpost mounted guard, leaving me a very wet and very muddy arse, Camelbak and everything else pointing rearward. Anyone else had a similar experience?

jam-bo

mine worked really well. pics of it fitted?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Nope, my experience was quite the opposite. Total protection from mud and it held firmly in place all last winter whereas every (pre dropper) post mounted guard has been easily knocked to one side or the other several times a ride.

What did you fit it to, is it some strange shape frame?

wwaswas

Mine was great on a fat bike.

As above, pic of it fitted?

STATO
    Free Member

failedengineer

I think the name covers it 😀

failedengineer

Steady boys, it’s fitted correctly. Whyte T-129. No pics available.

Alex

Did you get the bigger one? I fitted the 29er version to my Aeris and my Trek Hardtail (29+ at the time) and both times it’s been very good indeed. Reverb stays clean and camelbak.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Are the T-129 seat stays at such a shallow angle that the mudhugger is sticking up in the air too much?

Garry_Lager

I’ve tried a 26 one on a 29 bike and it was useless – you didn’t do that by mistake? Surprised as I thought it would at least be OK, encloses the wheel pretty well, but no.

failedengineer

Yep, it’s the 29er one.

I’ll just get my coat (and cover my arse with it).

wwaswas

you can heat them up with a hot air gun(gently) or hair drier and make them follow the tyre more if it’s at an odd angle.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Mine is pretty rubbish. It looks ugly as sin firstly but worst of all it seems to dump any mud and water it catches right on my brakes and drive train making rides noisy to say the least. To say how big it is it doesn’t work that well at stopping mud. Same with the front. its not quite long enough and what it doesn’t catch seems to head directly towards my eyes. I’m still undecided if i prefer a mud shower or noisy prematurely worn out drivetrain.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Yes I had the same – on slow wet climbs I was getting a wet back mudhugger needs to be about 20mm longer on the 26″ wheel version.
    But about a week after discovering this, a small branch jammed between the guard & tyre & broke the cable ties.
    Zefal ‘no mud’ works much better, loads more clearance & was cheaper

Onzadog
    Free Member

Even though I’ve had to cut a big hole in it due to my suspension, as I would with any guard, I find it works really well.

failedengineer

For anyone who’s interested – I had a very speedy response from Mudhugger, who tell me that the T-129 is ‘A bugger’ because of the low seat stay angle and that I need to purchase an extender. Which I will, of course.

rOcKeTdOg

nope, got one on 3 bikes and am always smug due to the dry arse area

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

mine worked really well. pics of it fitted?

Mine worked pretty well. Not earth-shattering, but the best solution I’ve found so far.

markshires
    Free Member

I’ve got one on a bird aeris, and when I first fitted it was useless made naff all difference, emailed them telling them so and mentioned something about the weather been really bad at the time, which it was and wouldn’t stop everything. but argued that my crudcatcher that I had on my other bike was fine. In the end the sent me one of the extender pieces that makes it even longer but it does work and stops everything, although a massive mudguard is now even bigger.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I ran one on my spitfire. Useless without the extention, perfect with. Looks like you’re going to have to spend another £8.

1timmy1
    Free Member

I’ve got a normal one on my Whyte 905 and it’s been great so far. As others have said looks like you need the extender.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Katie has one on her Canyon Spectral and it fits and works really well. Completely solid so far and has kept her clean and dry.

Zefal NO Mud I found impossible to fit to an old 26″ hardtail used as a commuter bike – just didn’t fit.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Mudhugger rear guard’ is closed to new replies.