Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Mudhugger FR in a car?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anyone use one? I have to put bike in car for riding, so Is it impossible to position the front end without bending the mudhugger?

currently bike sits sideways in the boot with seats down, its the only option (cant stand upright etc)

really want to get one, sick of my glasses steaming up in the shit weather and have to keep grit out due to contact lenses

fathomer

Get a van 😀

I’d also like one but have the same problem!

legend
    Free Member

Just the jam the bike in such a way that the bars stay going straight up n down. Has worked fine for me in the back of a old Clio and a new Fiesta when required

zippykona

Take back wheel out instead?
    Or get one of those ones that fits between crown and brace to use with a crud catcher.
    How about if you left brace cable ties a bit loose on the brace and velcroed the fork leg bits rather than cable ties, then you could undo velcro and rotate guard in the car.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

van life would be good 🙁

I take both wheels out so just taking one out isn’t an option either

trying to position it sideways in the car is tricky as then the 800mm bars will touching the roof

maybe just have to bite the bullet, buy one and figure it out as I go along

legend
    Free Member

Are you putting it in rear end first? (Assuming modern hatch shaped vehicle)

core

In a hatch I just pull passenger seat forward and slide bars down over front of back seats.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

No i put it in front end first, not sure how i would position it at all that way without bending it

Behind front seats is an option but a pain to keep doing and filth everywhere in the car ha

stayhigh

Loosen stem bolts and rotate handlebars accordingly so the forks stay straight if that makes sense.

northerntom
    Free Member

I have this issue and have bent it slightly a few times. It is quite tough so will stand up to a bit of bending.

I usually put my under the forks next to the mudhugger, which props up the bike and means it doesn’t rest on it, should be the solution to your problems.

Kahurangi

I’ve solved this for myself, but with a Rockguardz.

Locate the old hole for the cable-tie, drill a new hole approx 8 mm away and use a knife to cut a slot between the two. Then I can use some of the double sided velcro from a long-dead Mucky Nutz.

Works great, 30 seconds faff to remove the mudguard and the bike can go back in my wee car.

I could try and do pics later if that’s not clear.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have a Rockguard FR and my mate has the mudhugger FR. We transport them in the back of my estate, lying flat, with front wheels out and the bars turned to allow bars to also lie flat. The rockguard is longer and needs to be propped up by the forks to stop the little front bit being bent, but the mudhugger FR does fine without any special precautions.

TBH, now I’ve run it in the filth, even the long rock guard doesn’t keep you as clean as a down tube mounted guard. Sure, your face is kept virtually spotless, but from halfway down my chest I’m gopping and completely soaked, whilst with something like a THE proline frame shroud, all the fast straightline stuff gets stopped properly whilst the generally slower corners might throw a bit on your face, but its still not too bad. Going back to those on both my bikes, with little enduro-guards on the forks.

legend
    Free Member

Oscillate Wildly – Member
    No i put it in front end first, not sure how i would position it at all that way without bending it

Quel bike car combo? My current is a 17″ Five in a Fiesta. Goes straight in, usually use the wheels or kit bag to ensure it can’t move and squash the guard

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I put mine in flat (without front wheel), front end first with the bars turned so they face downwards so its the short bit of the mudhugger taking the weight of the bike.

I then have a plastic crate that holds shoes, lid etc that wedges in underneath the saddle and just lifts the weight off the mudhugger.

benpinnick

Just cut the front off. You’ll barely notice the change in protection.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheers folks somethings to ponder over then, sounds doable somehow!

Fwiw its a focus hatch new style so plenty of space, just dont want to be getting filth everytime i put it in the car, current marsh guard is fine and i can lay the bars flat with that on

Just gonna bite the bullet and buy one then have a mess around

Thanks folks

rOcKeTdOg

I put my bars down the back o the frontvseat so the end is n the rear passenger footwell, MH stays flat

legend
    Free Member

Alternatively 2 bike Saris Bones can be had for £70 right now 😉

clubby

As JonEdwards said. Bars upside down and shoes and camelback under fork legs to raise short front section.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Mudhugger FR in a car?’ is closed to new replies.