• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by chip.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Mudhugger.
  • chip
    Free Member

Anyone not bother with the frame tape and not live to regret it.
    I have said mudguard sat in a box ready to fit to my five but pondering not bothering with the tape.

One concern is the rear swing arm stays are tapered so if it moves down the swing arm any it will become very loose.

rocketman
    Free Member

Yup on my Cannondale they’re tapered and plastic and there are no hose/cable guides. The mudhugger walks down the seat stays after a few miles, even with the helicopter tape and the cable ties tightened to 1,000,000 kN

Wrapping the stays in inner tube fixed it for me

bforbertie

Yep didn’t bother and after one ride paint rubbed through, would recommend using the heli tape included.

rOcKeTdOg

Takes 5 mins to do the tape & it works really well. Of course if you ride somewhere where the dirt isn’t gritty or you don’t care about paint work don’t bother

I didn’t on the Ti frame & it got polished up a treat 😀

rascal
    Free Member

Contemplating getting one of these for the front, or resurrecting an old Shockboard mudguard – not sure which! Will it eat the fork’s paintwork?

mattjg
    Free Member

Use the tape on the rear. I found the front didn’t replace a down tube mounted guard and was heavier than a muckynutz so was pointless.

buck53

Slight hijack. Anyone using one of these on a bike where the cables route down the top of the seat stays? If so, is it a total pig to fit?

tonyg2003

I wasn’t very impressed with the mudhugger on my Five. It fits well and is very solid in place but it didn’t keep my arse clean. Surely the point really. The “Five” extension was a useless tack on. It needs to be longer I think. Unimpressed in the end

J-R

I had the same experience as you Tony G. And it’s muddy out riding with the Moles!

captaincarlos

I run a mudhugger on the rear of a Trek Fuel EX which has cables down the top of both seatstays, including stops where the mudhugger sits.

The cables flex out of the way, but the stops foul the mounting.

I spent some time fettling it, by putting cut-outs in the mudhugger to match where the cable stops are – now it works really well and the guard doesn’t move around on the stays, so much so that I can replace the cable ties with elastic bungie cord so I can whip the guard on and off depending on the weather!

mattjg
    Free Member

rear ‘hugger is a bit of a pain to get off and on quickly, better if you’re a fit and forget kind of rider.

also the spare cable ties I got from Wickes are too wide, you have to buy the ones from ‘hugger (or elsewhere I guess)

windysurfer
    Free Member

Tie wraps wore though the heli tape on mine so best keep an eye on it.Mines now wrapped with inner tube

buck53

Cheers all.

chip
    Free Member

Right guard fitted, I had some 1″ 3M helitape so ran that on the top and bottom of the swing arm where it wrapped around a little also.
    When the box was delivered there was cable ties hanging out and on opening only 4 in the box so went to halfords for more and as said by another poster the ones supplied are some sort of obscure standard (bike company obscure standard shocker) so bought smaller ones and put six on each side.

alexpalacefan

Don’t these just fill up with crap? Doesn’t look to be much clearance in there.
    APF

rocketman
    Free Member

That’ll slide down when its wet

Guaranteed

chip
    Free Member

I have allowed as little clearance as I dare, 10mm-12mm at a guestamation, I haven’t let the air out of the shock to check if it hits the seat tube.

chip
    Free Member

That’ll slide down when its wet

the ties are tight enough to have cut in to heli tape slightly, so I am fairly confident it will hold.

any gyp and it will feel my wrath.

windysurfer
    Free Member

I’ll give that a couple of months at best before your though the heli tape and eating paint.

chip
    Free Member

I’ll give that a couple of months at best before your though the heli tape and eating paint.

then it will be off to orange for a change of coat, I fricken love that apple green.
    and the mud hugger will get licks.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Mudhugger.’ is closed to new replies.