Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Mudguards, then….
  • toxicsoks
    Free Member

Getting some good natured (I think) stick for not having removed the Raceguards from both MTBs yet.
    So, are mudguards –
    a. wrong
    b. bad weather only
    c. only wrong to the aesthetically obsessed
    Opinions…. 😉

passtherizla
    Free Member

Can’t be arsed to take mine off until it’s properly dried out… And even then I still dunno.

scotroutes

d. ideal for certain conditions

It helps if you don’t give a toss what other folk think.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toxicsoks
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    d. ideal for certain conditions

Like, c.- bad weather? 😉

davewalsh
    Free Member

c.
    I don’t understand the mentality of folk who tell me they don’t use mudguards because it makes their bake look crap when they have a foot wide streak of sh1t up their back !

takisawa2

Do you frequent Cash Converters, Greggs or Bargain Booze…
    If so, leave them on.

teasel
    Free Member

A friend recently recounted a tale of another rider sporting one of those little guards that attach to the saddle. His back was caked but there was a tiny section of arse a clean as a whistle.

Not all mudguards are created equal…

thatscold
    Free Member

On the topic of mudguards, has anyone tried the mud hugger?

chip
    Free Member

Please leave them on.
    I took mine off a couple of weeks ago, and it immediatly started to rain and continued to do so for a week.

bellys
    Free Member

Yep took my rear off but left the front Mudhugger on.
    Will fit the rear when summer is over..so maybe next week.

Thatscold…both my front and rear Mudhuggers have been spot on.. Front is a little tight on rockshox reba rl fork but I was running a chunky monkey but with a 2.3 front now there is loads of clearance.
    There customer sevice have been great I manged to snap my rear had it for about 6mth sent Bruce from Mudhugger a tweet and a photo and he sent me a replacement for free..

Northwind

Mine have muckynuts bender fenders on them all the time, unless it’s actualyl muddy when i fit sks shockboards. They don’t look bad and they improve the ride, so why not?

Haven’t found a rear option I really like though. The old crudcatcher was genius. Got fed up with the newer ones, how to take a legend and ruin it.

Kryton57

Practical in the winter, a fugly aesthetic disaster at all other times. Mucky nuts all year round is the only acceptable permanence.

austy
    Free Member

Had crud catcher front and rear then added mucky nutz to the forks but still got mud up my back. Got a mudhugger and back has been dry ever since mainly cos it stopped raining but when.it has been dirty and wet it’s been a god send works amazing.

I think you can’t see it as it’s so close to the tyre. Just need to get some white zip ties cos that’s the colour of my bike (tart I know).

rOcKeTdOg

thatscold – Member

On the topic of mudguards, has anyone tried the mud hugger?

yes i have on a 29er, marvelous! dry bum all winter long, makes bad weather riding much more bearable and the guys who own the company are top guys who ride bikes

TiRed

Crud catcher on the front bolted to the two holes under the downtube. Serves me (and my eyes) very well. I tend not to bother about the rear other than in winter.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Be sure you put plenty of helitape where the mudhugger attaches to the stays. A mate of mine removed his and its worn right through a layer of helitape and rubbed the paint off his stays at the contact point. The same has happened with my Zefal no mud. I’ll be putting a good few layers of helitape on for next winter.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

One for K57, the aesthete…………………….. 🙄

localhero94
    Free Member

I told you you were spending too much time on here Greeners…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

has anyone tried the mud hugger?

Jedi has one so it MUST be good.

ti456neal
    Free Member

Soon as I took my Powa dFender off a few weeks back, it pee’d down for days……back on it went and I don’t intend to risk taking it off again! 🙄

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

Really rated my rear mud hugger, unfortunately I took it off when we had that dry spell before Easter, and haven’t put it back on yet, think the zip ties have to be really tight on the mud hugger to stop it wearing the paint, mine were, and I had no problems, even stayed in place during a 20mph off*
    * well, 19mph if my GPS is accurate.

slackalice
    Free Member

Loving the rear Mudhugger, the front not quite so effective and possibly requires a down tube Crud Catcher for better protection.

cookeaa

All rear mudguards on MTBs are basically wrong, they look crap, get in the way and if we are honest really are just for “Altura man” commuter types.

Crud catchers, fender bender or Neo guard type guards up front make perfect sense as they keep shite out of your eyes, and seeing is more important than having a slightly cleaner back IMO.

It is entirely up to the individual if they want to leave them on year round or faff about for ten minutes every time the weather changes…

These are my beliefs on the topic, you are entitled to your own however wrong you are. That is all.

mattjg
    Free Member

Loving the rear Mudhugger, the front not quite so effective and possibly requires a down tube Crud Catcher for better protection.

+1

Rear mudhugger works as well as it looks it should. Keeper. Can rattle a little on a fast very rooty trails. I’m on a stiff 29er HT so that won’t help, it’s not an issue. Stays in place well.

The front one doesn’t prevent crap being thrown into my face (it got an extensive test on 40 miles of muddy Surrey bridleway yesterday). I was hoping it would replace the combo of a Muckynutz and a down tube mounted crudcatcher, but it doesn’t. So to be honest I don’t see the point of it and will be reverting to the combo. My set up is 29er, Revelations and a Spesh Purgatory Control. No clearance issues at all with mud, perhaps there might be in leaf mulch season, who knows, it’s coming off anyway.

emanuel
    Free Member

collaborating with mudhugger on a direct mount solution
    http://revanchebikeco.wordpress.com/2014/05/19/hardtails-winter-and-the-mudhugger/

Saw the huggers and though the design was great, but I wanted to integrate the mudguard to the frame.

so I did.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards, then….’ is closed to new replies.