Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Mudguards = premature hub and drivetrain wear. Anyone ever heard that before?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Someone who hires out, sells and services bikes suggested this to me recently. Can’t see how it could though.

scotroutes

Did you ask for their reasoning? Seems like a load of pish to me (I hire out and service hire bikes).

thegreatape
    Free Member

I did, but have not yet received it.

ton

dont know about premature wear, but my bike runs mudguards, and the wheels/hubs/chain are always filthy.
    the dirty water/filth off the road must get thrown up into the guards and run back over the bike rather than being thrown off.

mucky gritty water will wear stuff out quicker i reckon.

thegreatape
    Free Member

mucky gritty water will wear stuff out quicker i reckon.

No doubt, but I would have thought the hubs/gears would get plenty of it on them anyway, being as they are closer to the mud/water than the mudguards?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Full length guards limet wear on the front mech at least…..less jetting with shite all ride long 🙂

daleftw
    Free Member

It does actually make sense… 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

Enlighten the hard of thinking dale, if you don’t mind 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Can’t see how more water would ingress any parts? The chain, cassette and rear mech are not protected by the guards, can’t see how they’d dump more water on those parts. And those parts are sort of prominent and ‘in the weather’

On the contrary I’d have thought a long front would keep some water off the chainset and bottom bracket, or at least slow down the speed of the water hitting those areas.

Edit, mudguards also keep the brakes cleaner, and as said the front mech.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Maybe if mudguards are fitted there’s more likelihood that the bike will be ridden in shite conditions.

daleftw
    Free Member

@thegreatape

I think this CAD drawing clears things up…

Instead of the water being sprayed all up your back and rectum, it sprays onto the mudguard, then drips down the sides onto the drivetrain etc.

That makes sense doesn’t it? I’m not saying they’re right, like.

daleftw
    Free Member

What Ton says, pretty much.

ton

dont say i told you so……..but i told you so…. 😆

32 years of commuting told me so…… 😆

thegreatape
    Free Member

But if it all goes up my rectum instead, it’ll fall back out of there, with who knows what corrosive ingredients dissolved therein?

scotroutes

If you actually watch where water comes off a closely fitting mudguard you’d see that it’s pretty much all at the rear due to tangential force and the forward movement of the bike.

thegreatape
    Free Member

You did tell me so ton

daleftw
    Free Member

Updated it for 29er

thegreatape
    Free Member

😀

scotroutes

Can you do one for a fatbike please?

Speeder

I reckon it’s likely to be a combination of this

ton – Member
    dont know about premature wear, but my bike runs mudguards, and the wheels/hubs/chain are always filthy.
    the dirty water/filth off the road must get thrown up into the guards and run back over the bike rather than being thrown off.

and this

Dibbs – Member
    Maybe if mudguards are fitted there’s more likelihood that the bike will be ridden in shite conditions.

The latter is likely to be the bigger issue.

dingleberry
    Free Member

I’ve thought this since fitting a rear Mudhugger on my MTB… Been through two sets of rear brake pads before I’ve even got through one on the front.

Still prefer it to being covered in crap though!

hs125
    Free Member

Could it be that a bike with mudguards gets cleaned less often, because the paintwork and contact points don’t get so dirty, whereas the drivetrain gets just as dirty as a bike without?

daleftw
    Free Member

scotroutes

That’s obviously inaccurate as a fat tyre would float across that grass, not cut it up 👿

daleftw
    Free Member

3d innit.

scotroutes

Hang on a minute……

scotroutes

…Nope.

Tried it with those two-tone glasses and now I just have a headache.

big_scot_nanny

Proper LOL! 😆

cookeaa

I don’t think the presence or absence of guards makes much difference to drive/hub wear rates really.

OK mucky water may accrue on the inside of guards and drip back on to the wheels and drive but the majority will be promptly centrifuged off again, some will inevitably migrate into the drive parts and general road spray gets to everything eventually and causes wear, versus a pretty constant stream of mucky spray from an unguarded front wheel backwards, directly onto the BB and drive same spray from an unguarded rear wheel over the BB and front mech as well as all over the rider…

Ride in the wet and the parts will get wet, guards limit how wet and cold the rider gets, IMO that’s their primary function if you don’t want to maintain a bike through winter there’s always the turbo trainer.

epicyclo

My bearings last forever, and I put that down to mudguards.

And not cleaning my bike very often…

thegreatape
    Free Member

I clean my bike after every ride. I’m a sad case, obviously, but I am a thorough sad case.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards = premature hub and drivetrain wear. Anyone ever heard that before?’ is closed to new replies.