Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Mudguards on disc-braked tourer
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

Just taken delivery of a Salsa Vaya and after a very nice christening ride yesterday, I’ve decided it needs my SKS mudguards on it. Does anyone have a cunning way of mounting the support rods when there’s a disc caliper in the way of the right braze-on?
    The forks also have braze-ons half way up for a rack, maybe they could be used?
    Cheers

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

use a longer bolt and space it out a bit

SimonT
    Free Member

And yes, on the front, bolting front mudguard stays on the lowrider braze ons (1/2 way up the leg) usually works well. Stays are shorter, stiffer & don’t need the safety QRs on. With a bit of ingenuity you can get lowriders on as well if you want.

Mowgli
    Free Member

safety QRs – is that the naff plastic things on the end of the steel support arms? Can they be removed easily?

I saw this nice method bending around the caliper, but not sure if the struts will be long enough to go around a BB7:

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

My dropouts are “unusual” but the principle is the same. One stay has a slight bend and goes ‘through’ the caliper and the other is bent to go beneath it.

druidh
    Free Member

Yep – just bend the stay around the caliper.

you can see it here (with a BB7) on my Amazon (might help to look at the largest size and zoom in)

It’s a tourer – OK? by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards on disc-braked tourer’ is closed to new replies.